Half Marathon Trainers

haf marthon trainers week of Jan. 7th (Read 674 times)

marflair

Hi all, I have had very few weeks of 20 or more miles - usually average around 15 on a good week. As a 49 year old beginner - I don't like to run more than 3, maybe 4 times a week. As I got closer to my half last Sept. I did a few weeks of 21-23 miles. Simon, what an interesting life you've had. You are in Canada now, right? I finally ran outside - our roads were clear so I had no exused. 23 degree and light winds - I was warm by the time I finished 4! Mary
    Teresadfp

One day at a time

4.0 miles today - 13 degrees, sunny, and a foot of fresh snow on the ground. Our wonderful town had the main sidewalk plowed by 8:30 this morning. Bless them! It was not an easy run for me, but I finished it. I guess that will happen occasionally! I have been running VERY consistently the last few weeks. This will be my low mileage week. I love winter!!! Cool Teresa
      wbertha

Teresa, glad to hear that someone is enjoying the weather. I have not had the opportunity to run outside lately and really miss it. However, there is a lack of light after work and safe/plowed paths to run on this time of year. Plus, DH informed me that the next week or two it is supposed to average sub-zero wind chills around here. Oh well, at least I have the gym. Did 4.5 on the treadmill tonight and then about 20 minutes of weights and ab work. Any hints to keep me sane on the treadmill would be appreciated. Unfortunately, my gym does not have tv's hooked up to the treadmills. You can watch the overhead tv's but with no volume, you have to be able to read the conversations. Guess that I am just not coordinated enough to run, read and comprehend. Thus, it's usually music, running and letting my mind wander wherever it wants. wbertha

Prince of Fatness

7 easy this evening. Cold weather is on its way. That should make my Sunday long run interesting.

Not at it at all. 

MrPhin you are doing a lot of miles per week, you will be well prepared for your race. What sort of time are you aiming for? Yes Mary, I have lived in Canada for 37 years now. Wbertha, I have never tried a treadmill so cant suggest anything except getting back outside as soon as conditions allow. Managed 7 miles with 8 hill repeats last night, left heel a bit tender this morning so I may use the exercise bike instead of running tonight. Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Prince of Fatness

MrPhin you are doing a lot of miles per week, you will be well prepared for your race. What sort of time are you aiming for?
              I am doing something different this winter, more mileage. I was generally around 25 mpw the last couple of winters. This winter I am averaging around 34. The main difference is the weekend long run. That accounts for 75% of the increase. I ran my first marathon last fall and got used to the long runs so I figured I would try to keep it going through the winter. My PR is 1:42:49. I'd like to better that.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

5.4 today with moderate snow falling.

Not at it at all. 

wbertha

Got in an extended day of work yesterday. Angry However, I did manage 4 miles on the treadmill anyway. Today, also on the treadmill did 3.5 plus weights and ab work. am trying to keep up on the upper body exercises and core work. may consider adding a third day for this and couple it with my short easy Sunday runs. Hey, football is almost over and I need someway to entertain myself until spring. Can't wait to get back outside and build up my long runs. Question for the day: What is the longest distance you have ever done on a treadmill??? wbertha
                    Teresa I'm glad to hear you like winter so much. I've always run more miles in the winter during my 17 years of running. I love the winter too but the logistics of running safely are almost overhelming sometimes so I use the treadmill. Sometimes I use the treadmill at the gym so I can immediately do squats. Core work is my weekness. wbertha I've done 10 miles on the treadmill several times while watching TV it's not so bad. MrPhin all I can say is I've never met a potato I didn't like. Smile Good luck with that PR.

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Prince of Fatness

Question for the day: What is the longest distance you have ever done on a treadmill???
                      Zero. I've never run on the treadmill. I've used other exercise machines, but get bored on them, even with a TV or music. So I just run outside. I am envious of the folks that can tolerate them because there are days during the winter that I wish I was inside.

Not at it at all. 

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I did 2 miles on Wednesday and 4 miles on Thursday. Thursday's run was easier than Tuesday's, thank goodness. I went out with a running group from our local running store. A woman in the group runs as slowly as I do, so we had fun running together. We got separated from the rest of the group, but we just kept running around neighborhoods. One guy in a pickup truck slowed down and yelled at us to get out of the middle of the street! Sigh. That's the first time that's happened to me. Probably won't be the last! It snowed over night and now it's raining, so I'm glad it's a scheduled rest day. I think I will go to a class at the Y, though. Have a great day running! Teresa
                        Ringmaster

Hmmmm You're certainly reminding me to be thankful for our climate in South Florida . . . running outside in January is most definitely not an issue . . . check back with me in July and August, though. I'm already thankful for a 6am start for the Ft Lauderdale half; I like to start my long runs before the sun comes up to avoid the heat, and you all are trying to find roads that have been cleared by the plow! I also run early to fit around my kids' schedules, so I've done up to 6 on the treadmill when I haven't felt like I can go out running alone in the predawn. Karina

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                          Mile by Mile

Prince of Fatness

5 today. I felt good after warming up and kicked it up a notch. Ran a couple of sub 8 miles for the first time in months, and it felt real good.

Not at it at all. 

wbertha

Did my LSD today. Temperatures outside are in the -20 degree range with the wind chill so it was off to the gym. Did 6 slow miles on the treadmill...but hey, I did it. Need to start building up miles and endurance. My half marathon is scheduled for mid-May. wbertha
                              ohanapecosh

7.2 miles today - my longest run at least since April / May. It's always a little intimidating for me increasing the long run distance. Felt good, took it slow and steady. Good week overall - 23 miles, also the most mileage in a week since Spring.