Half Marathon Trainers

haf marthon trainers week of Jan. 7th (Read 674 times)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

3.1 today. The Higdon program called for a 5k race today, but there weren't any scheduled nearby this weekend, so I just ran in my neighborhood. Roads are still icy so I didn't run at race tempo. DS 15 ran the mile in 4:46 last night at a meet. He's decreased his time by 3 seconds each of the last two weeks. 40 minutes after the first race, he ran the two-mile in 10:24. How can he do that??
      Teresa good training plans have flexibility built into them. When training for half marathons speed work can have a low priority. Keep putting in the time on your feet and don't worry about speed too much, this may be nature's way of keeping you from overtraining. Will this be your first half? Either way have a great time it's a wonderful milestone to pass. Smile Your son looks like he has quite a future in running...He can do that because of his youth...Are these indoor meets? Best wishes on your running.......

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Thanks for the advice, Rick! Yes, it will be my first half, at the end of September (Maine Coast Half Marathon - all women!). My longest run so far is 5 1/2 miles, and I'm hoping to increase that by a 1/2-mile every two weeks, since I have plenty of time. Higdon has you going up a mile every two weeks (but just up to 10 miles total), but I think that would be too ambitious for me. I DO want to run at least 13.1 miles before the race, so I know I can do it. I run very slowly, but I hang in there! I have lost 30 pounds since April, and my cholesterol and blood pressure have improved greatly. Yes, my son is running indoor track right now. He also does outdoor and cross country. His high school team won the Maine state XC championship (Class B) in November, with him as the #2 runner. The longer the distance, the better he likes it. If he doesn't get injured, he will definitely be running marathons one day (when he's old enough!). It's a pure joy to watch him run. It just cracks me up, because I have ALWAYS been a painfully slow runner, and his dad never ran, either. Recessive genes, I guess! Teresa
          I did a 10k training run yesterday, with a fast finish. Last km was 4:41, a pretty hard effort. I was dissapointed it wasn't faster as I want to break 50 minutes this spring and 48 minutes by October/November for that distance. I would like to run the half in 1:45 by the end of the year but I will need to do a lot of work as that is 5 mins/km, quite a pace. Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Prince of Fatness

12.3 today, finishing the week up at 35 miles.

Not at it at all. 

8.4 miles today 6F -10 wind chill. 31.3 for the week. Smile

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

2.5 miles on the treadmill. Couldn't deal with subzero temps and wind. Blech. Also did an hour strengthening class at the Y. I will be very sore tomorrow. Teresa
                Regina

My training for the week 14/02 - 20/02 (paces in min/km): Mo: Rest Tu: 12.1 k Fartlek (about 3 k below 5:00, the rest at ~ 7:00) We: 6.9 k Easy @ 6:38 Th: 8.3 k Medium @ 5:58 Fr: Rest Sa: 12.8 k Medium @ 6:15 So: 23.4 k Long @ 6:05 In total 63.5 k. Here the weather is quite warm - no winter at all, always about 8°C. But it's also raining all the time and there is a lot of fog. So it's impossible to do the long runs on the streets outside of the city. And long runs in the city, where flat courses don't exist, are really annoying ... I really hope that the weather will change before the next weekend - I would like to increase my long run a bit and reach about 70 k in total this week. That will be difficult in any case: Three basketball matches of my kids during the week and one tournament on Sunday, and my husband is on a business trip ...
                  Teresadfp

One day at a time

4.5 miles today. 34 degrees, but VERY windy. I was glad to finish! Teresa
                    Ringmaster

Generally do 6 most days on the treadmill at HM pace, with 2 rest days during the week. I did a little more speedwork last week, b/c I was forced into shorter mileage. Well, the knees kind of hurt now, and I wonder if it's the speed or the pavement because I usually run on the treadmill. I have a 14 mile long run scheduled on Sat, and I'd hate to miss my longest run before my half b/c I think mentally I'd just like to have run that distance before the race (I did a 13.2 long run once before). So . . . here's my revised schedule for this week: M--did 5mi at 9min pace T--4mi at 10min pace W--rest R--6mi at 10-11 min pace F--rest Sa--14 mi at HM pace (10min) Su--rest My first half is 2/17. I saw an orthopedist two weeks ago, when they first started bothering me, who saw no signs of injury. I've been icing them after my runs. You veteran runners have any other advice?

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                      Mile by Mile

Prince of Fatness

Generally do 6 most days on the treadmill at HM pace, with 2 rest days during the week. I did a little more speedwork last week, b/c I was forced into shorter mileage. Well, the knees kind of hurt now, and I wonder if it's the speed or the pavement because I usually run on the treadmill. I have a 14 mile long run scheduled on Sat, and I'd hate to miss my longest run before my half b/c I think mentally I'd just like to have run that distance before the race (I did a 13.2 long run once before). So . . . here's my revised schedule for this week: M--did 5mi at 9min pace T--4mi at 10min pace W--rest R--6mi at 10-11 min pace F--rest Sa--14 mi at HM pace (10min) Su--rest My first half is 2/17. I saw an orthopedist two weeks ago, when they first started bothering me, who saw no signs of injury. I've been icing them after my runs. You veteran runners have any other advice?
                        Looking at your log it looks like you are increasing mileage AND adding more speed work. I wouldn't recommend that. I wouldn't run anything fast more than once a week. Since you are hurting, I would suggest NO speed work for a couple of weeks. Make sure that you get to the starting line on 2/17. I injured myself last year training for a half. I was doing the same thing, increasing mileage and speed at the same time. I've since resolved to limiting myself to one fast workout a week. So far that's kept me off of the DL. Hope that helps.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

7 this evening. Shooting for 35 again this week. Looks like I'll be somewhere in the 140's for January.

Not at it at all. 

wbertha

Five this evening at the gym. The gym was busy so at least I had people to watch and that seems to help the time pass when running on the treadmill. Did the 5 miles at half marathon pace. But how does pace on the treadmill translate to pace outside? I did set the incline at .05. I am getting anxious to be back outside but the weather just doesn't seem to let up. The forecast includes wind chills well below zero for the next few days. wbertha
                            Regina

15 k Fartlek on Tuesday, ~ 12 k @ medium speed with a lot of hills (I was running with a group of friends, else I would have run slower) on Wednesday; for today and tomorrow I plan only short and slow trainings, on Saturday I want to do my long run ...
                              Ringmaster

Thanks for the advice, MrPH. You're right--getting to the starting line is priority. Did my 6 on the tm today w/o pain. Still aiming for the long slow run on Sat. When's your half? You're putting in lots of miles! Wbertha, I always am lots slower on the tm, and I don't even have it inclined. I do most of my daily runs on it b/c I have to run before dark and don't feel safe running outside alone, and rarely get better than an 11-minute pace, yet outside, on my long runs, generally do better than a 10-minute pace. I guess it's probably different for everybody, I'm just telling you what's true for me. But I'm probably the least experienced runner here. Regina, I had a friend ask me to run today and I actually turned her down b/c I know I run faster with people too and I'm trying to save my knees. Your scheduled long run this week is long! When's your half? K

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                                Mile by Mile