Half Marathon Trainers

Intrepid Racers - July 17th & weekend (Read 316 times)

an amazing likeness

Kevin leads us all off this week with a timed mile in the midsummer hot and muggy of the western CT hills.

Personally, I've made a scheduling mistake and ended up with back-to-back races over the weekend. Since there's no way to run the half well in the heat we're having, I plan to run the 5 miler at "hard, but not all out" (whatever that means), and ease into the 13.1 the next day.

***********This week and weekend*******************

Jul 17 Gville Kevin A Night of Miles 1 mi Litchfield, CT
    Jul 21 MilkTruck Clam Festival 5 5 mi Yarmouth, ME
    Jul 22 MilkTruck Old Port Half 13.1 mi Portland, ME

Good luck, fleet feet and cooling winds to all our trainers and racers - have fun!

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Dew point 70. Temp 90.

Can't decide whether to wear swim trunks or split shorts tonight...

MTA: thank GOD it's just a mile...

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
      We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

5:06.07 (so 5:07 rounded up). Great event, had a really good time.

There was an 11 year old kid there who ran a 5:0x. Blew my mind. 11. He's running at nationals in baltimore in the 3200 in a couple of weeks. I could have put him in my bag that's how small he was.

vegefrog

WOW! Your 5:06 blows my mind!!! WTG!!!! Was it fun racing around the track? I wish I could find one, that sounds exciting Smile

Thanks vege! It really was a lot of fun. Race report in my log. Crazy uneven splits and a wiltingly hot/humid night give me hope that I might threaten 5 on the right night and with more practice. I tried like heck at the end to run down the leader, and gave it a good shot in the last 200m, but couldn't make up the gap. Was fun trying though.

I really think the best part was the kids though. 11 year old boy running 5:10. 10 year old girl running 6:05. And a 6 year old girl running and finishing, period. Crazy inspiring stuff.

Wow!  What a speedster, that is really moving.

Busy weekend for you, Milktruck, good luck in both events!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

vegefrog

5K tonight and it's a balmy 89 degrees, with 81% humidity and the dew point @ 76 degrees Smile

Should be a super fun one, LOL.

I'm doing it because a few of my friends are walking it, and they give awards for top 5 in AG, AND the prizes are cool (it's at a local zoo/plantation and the awards are animal shapes). Plus afterwards there is a band and food/beer.

Not sure if I can pull out another 23, but a low 24 should still get me something. If not I'll just drink the beer and be happy Smile

Kevin I read your race report, that is SO cool! I wish there was a track like that or some fun track races around here!!

Milktruck I hope you have a super FAST 5 miler and a nice easy half!

an amazing likeness

Ok...the 5 miler is in the books...36:56, a personal best for the 6 times I've entered this race, and 1 sec slower than my 5-mile PR.  Ran it too hard and expect I'll being paying for it in tomorrow's half...could be an ugly day. We'll see.

HappyFeat

Well done, MT!  Good luck tomorrow.

You know the drill to enhance recovery - refuel, massage, stretch, ice any sore spots, elevate and stay off your feet as much as possible.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

HappyFeat

Ok...the 5 miler is in the books...36:56, a personal best for the 6 times I've entered this race, and 1 sec slower than my 5-mile PR.  Ran it too hard and expect I'll being paying for it in tomorrow's half...could be an ugly day. We'll see.

I saw what you did thereWink - thanks

I'm getting ready to step out the door for a planned 14-miler that I really don't feel up for. It's a test, kind of, since I haven't run this far lately.  I need to come up with a different route because there's something about the last two miles of this particular one that I don't like and it affects my outlook. oh well...here I go.

vegefrog

How was it HappyFeat?

I'm gonna do 10 tomorrow which is the longest I've run since April! I told y'all I've been slacking!

Tell me your 14 miler was wonderful... Smile

HappyFeat

I wish I could tell you it was "wonderful," Vege, but I can't. Mainly because I was tired heading out and never really gained any energy while running. Some of my best runs have been when I "thought" I was tired. This wasn't one of those. It went okay overall though, so I can't complain too much.  I wanted to average 11 mpm and with some pushing, I did that. The 12 & 13th were the hardest, but the 14th not so bad. 

I'm beginning to think "flat' and "road" are bad wordsJoking because that's what felt hard about it when compared to the trail running I've been doing. You use your legs differently on the road vs. trail. Clearly, I need to get more "road hardened" if I want to seriously consider a fall HM....an idea I've been toying with since I'd like to get a measure of my progress toward my 2-hour finish goal

Happyfeat, just getting it done is a major victory- I went out to run 10 today and stopped at 5, probably a smart choice but not very satisfying.

Andy you are doing a great job with your consistent training- your running is back to where it was before the accident.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

an amazing likeness

I guess about all I can say about today's Old Port Half was that it was "steady".

Ran with a nephew whose girlfriend was running her first 1/2 (I think first race...), but they had decided that he wouldn't be her best partner for the day and she headed out with another partner.

Beautiful, sunny day...but still and no breezes. Race has about 1500 runners, so mid-sized with easy logistics.

Through the first 5 miles in...8:11 | 8:10 | 8:07 | 8:04 | 8:16.  (I actually tripped over a manhole cover and fell in mile 1, picked up a few scrapes.)

Through the second 5 miles...8:09 | 8:08 | 8:13 | 8:14 | 8:20 as we deliberately dialed back a bit for some energy conservation as the temps rose.

Through the last 5K in a nice progression of pick-up:  8:18 | 8:09 | 7:56

Legs were heavy and tired from the get-go, especially quads. Overall it was a low energy day and the theme of the day was "...workin on the highway..pounding down the blacktop..".

Nice 2.5 hour run for you today HappyFeat, way to tough out those hard last few miles.

Thanks for your kind words, Simon -- I've been able to get the miles back, and managed to reset most of my PRs since the Buick run-in, but I'm still not as comfortable when running as I used to be, it's just the new reality.

vegefrog

Happyfeat, just getting it done is a major victory- I went out to run 10 today and stopped at 5, probably a smart choice but not very satisfying.

Andy you are doing a great job with your consistent training- your running is back to where it was before the accident.

Yeah...and you guys are BOTH way more awesome then me because I headed to the pool this morning and never even looked back. No run for me at all.

ACK! Gotta get my mojo back!