Half Marathon Trainers

Intrepid Racers & Trainers - Nov 22 & 24 (Read 248 times)

an amazing likeness

We have a special mid-week edition of Racers and Trainers as HappyFeat has an entry for a 10K on Thanksgiving Day,  kicking off the week early. 

Kevin is closing out his race season (and what a season it was...wow!) by beating Santa in a 5K.  Yes, putting the smackdown on Santa.

Nov 22 HappyFeat Turkey Trot 10K 10K Port Angeles, WA
    Nov 24 Gville Kevin Run Santa Run 5K New Milford, CT

Good luck, fleet feet to our racers. Go hard and embrace the pain.

Stealing a peek at the logs of our marathon trainers, vegefrog and MattJ...both are nearing their training cycle peak. Vegefrog will be running off pie with a 20 miler this weekend, and then starting taper madness.  Matt is down in Belize getting his miles in while running from the police with that whacko anti-virus dude who's on the run. (g) 

(...vegefrog also wins some sort of award for best named workout with "fababs"...)

We haven't heard from Bobev in a while and he's also deep into a training cycle for a half marathon early in December, so hope things are going well Bob.

In closing, I'll share this (stolen from another post on RA)..someone has declared today:  Globally Organized Hug A Runner Day (G.O.H.A.R.D.) ...the only advice I'd offer is to get permission first, unwanted hugs will get you on the news.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

You have a great light touch in the way you present this news for us MT- I enjoy reading it and catching up on what others are doing.

Go racers!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

HappyFeat

"Go hard and embrace the pain."

Hmm. I hate to disappoint - you and me - but this won't be my goal this time around. My right lateral quad feels like it got whacked. I don't know if it was Sunday's run or the new stretching exercises I tried out for the first time on Sunday afternoon. They involve using a rope/band around your foot and contracting your quad to stretch the hams and calves (Active Isolated Stretch). My hams and calves felt a lot better after doing the stretches, but my quads were so much worse off! Maybe they need the strengthening, but do they have to signal their weakness right before a race? On top of that, my trail buddies have a 16er planned for next Sunday as they are back in marathon training mode. I want to go with them, especially since it will be a further section of trail I haven't seen yet. I will have to be healed up and rested though. There will have to be some mental prep too because I've only done a few 16ers in the last 10 years and none of them went well. So I'm a little gun-shy.  I'm not ready to have a go at setting a new 10K PB yet anyway. Still have work to do before that. So I'm planning to just make it a tempo run which, the way things have been going, will certainly be hard enough!

(((MT))) (((HMT group))) I loved the link about GOHARD and passed it on to my running buddies. Thanks for that! I wish I'd know sooner - I'd have worn my running shoes and a finisher's medal to work.Big grin  Next year!

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

an amazing likeness

Go hard and embrace the pain.

By the way...I don't believe that at all...I'm a wuss and pain makes me embrace my couch.  My editor, however, insisted on something encouraging for our weekend racers, so I took the easy route.

Heck, the acknowledgement we're racing is encouragement enough. Thanks Andy.

And yeah, Santa is going DOWN!

Taking the watch off for this one, and just letting it fly. 

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
            We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

an amazing likeness

You have a great light touch in the way you present this news for us MT- I enjoy reading it and catching up on what others are doing.

Thanks Simon.  I've been wondering whether to keep doing these weekly, monthly or whatever....it feels to me that when I started them I may have altered the flow of the HMT forum a bit away from the monthly thread...and that wasn't intended.

If anyone wants to share thoughts on these "intrepid" threads, or the race calendar concepts, I'd appreciate hearing them either here in public or via PM.

an amazing likeness

Ran an (unplanned) Thanksgiving 4-Miler today. Good grief, shorter races are HHHhhhhard. I just don't do all that much training running all out, much less all out for 4 miles. Hilly course, but held onto fairly consistent 7:06..7:08 splits and logged at 28:52-ish finish.

HappyFeat

Well how fun was that, MT?? an impromptu speed workout! You are lightning fast in my book!

My 10K went as planned - a nicely done Tempo Run - nothing stupid - saving myself for Sunday's LR.  I only need to take about a minute off though to get a new 10K PB - it really shouldn't be too far in the future.

HappyFeat

Thanks Simon.  I've been wondering whether to keep doing these weekly, monthly or whatever....it feels to me that when I started them I may have altered the flow of the HMT forum a bit away from the monthly thread...and that wasn't intended.

If anyone wants to share thoughts on these "intrepid" threads, or the race calendar concepts, I'd appreciate hearing them either here in public or via PM.

The only thing that comes to mind is that I don't typically post in Race Reports. I post my race result in the "intrepid" thread for when I raced it. So that one seems unnecessary to me, but I don't really have any strong feelings about the "thread organization."  I think that if having more or separate  threads prompts folks to post more, it's all good.

I noticed that the Report feature says this group has over 400 people!!! Really??

The silent majority?

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

an amazing likeness

There are quite a few 'dormant' accounts...around 250 of the total group members last accessed the group in 2010 or earlier...

an amazing likeness

My 10K went as planned - a nicely done Tempo Run - nothing stupid - saving myself for Sunday's LR.  I only need to take about a minute off though to get a new 10K PB - it really shouldn't be too far in the future.

Sounds like you had a good day at the races, as they say. Good confidence builder, especially since you noted how good you felt during it. You've been logging such steady long runs on the trails, mixed with shorter stuff, I'd suspect most of your road PRs are 'at risk'...in a good way.

HappyFeat

It's satisfying to see progress. I ran a 10K six months ago with about the same finish time. The difference is that in May, it felt like an all-out effort and yesterday's run just felt like a nice tempo run - no struggle, no sideache, not pushing, just focusing on breathing evenly and keeping the pace up as easily as possible. 

Even so, I must admit to some slightly sore muscles today.  My tempo runs are usually structured with a slow mile in between the faster mile. This is the first one where I strung 4 miles together.  I think I will just run a short recovery run tonight to make my 30 miles for the week and then take tomorrow as a Rest Day before Sunday's LR.

Chipping away, another 9 second PR. 17:33 and 2OA.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                              We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                              vegefrog

WTG Kev!!!! That's fantastic!

Nice race MT! Those are nice splits!

Thanks for keeping us updated MT Smile I like coming back to the group after being away a few days and knowing I can count on your great weekely round ups to tell me what's up!!

Haha. My Fababs workout is this class @ the gym that's 30 min of core. Silly name, but I've got a 6-pack under there somewhere thanks to it Wink

Matt I hope you are ready for taper! I am...I think...might drive my loved ones and friends CRAZY for the next 2 weeks! I'll just come in here and let it all out if I start feeling stir crazy Wink

HF glad you are seeing improvement and your running is coming easier these days. Sore muscles just let you know you are alive Wink