Half Marathon Trainers

Cold Slug (Read 388 times)

I have been a bad runner this week. Global Waring dropped the temp into the single digets for highs and below zero for lows plus windchills. Then We got a nice dump of snow. I could have run yesterday after work but just couldn't bring myself to go out in nice warm 15* day!! I haven't been out to run since Sunday AM. I am a slug

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Man, I am having a REALLY hard time making myself go out. I cannot wait until next week...temps in the TWENTIES!!! Heatwave! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Right now it is 17* and NO wind-chill and it feels balmy outside right now. Calling for mid 30s on Monday!! Get teh swim trunks and open the pool!!! Wink Tomorrow is a group training run and the temp is supposed to be about 5*F with winds of 5mph Say about zero degrees.

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Tomorrow is a group training run and the temp is supposed to be about 5*F with winds of 5mph Say about zero degrees.
          You can do it! I ran on Tues. in weather kind of like that...the actual air temp was closer to 10-15, but with the windchill it was right about 0-5. It wasn't as bad as I had expected, since the sun was out a little. Kind of nice, really. But I still can't wait to be able to run in a SINGLE layer of clothes, instead of 3 on top and 2 on the bottom! Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

It was nice this morning. About 8* with very very little wind and bright sunshine. I visited the local Nike Store at the Outlet Mall this past week and bought some NON cotton running clothes and stayed nice and warm this morning. In fact I really had on one layer to many. I tend to over do the cold thing as with my diabetes it really doesn't take much to get me and keep me cold. Not so now. About 3/4 of my run was without gloves in an effort to cool down a little. I love that outlet mall!!! If I had gone to Dick's Sports and bought the same stuff it would have cost me about $150 or more. At the OM it was $65 and some change! This cold snap is getting old fast. We have now set a record for the number of says we have stayed below 32* in Feb. And we have been WAY under that 32* each day. I think yesterday we almost reached 20* Rumor IE the weather report, says tomorrow we will reach 30* so I'll wait untill later in the day to run.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I wish we had some good Nike or NB outlets near us. I think we have a Reebok outlet, but I am not fond of most of their stuff. I haven't yet gone on my run...I am just having such a terrible time getting motivated, of late. I can handle the cold and I can handle the snow, but the combo is getting old fast. I can't remember the last run I did on clean roads--I think it was about a month ago. I really miss not trudging through slippery snow and having to stay focused on every step to avoid falling--it really takes the fun out of running when I can't just enjoy myself and let my mind wander. I long for wearing a single layer and just Zenning out as I plod along.... I miss long runs, too. Right now my body can only handle about 75 minutes (6.5 miles or so), as my legs have to work so much harder running on the loose, slippery surface. I keep hoping that once I get to run on dry pavement, again, that I will discover that all these miles I have done on snow and ice will have made me faster...dreams.... k

~ Sarah Kay

In town we have a system of People's Trails. See: http://www.columbus.in.gov/parks-index.php And scroll to the download. Anyway the the City Parks Dep keep them cleared of snow as fast as they can. It seems that sometimes those trails are cleared faster then the streets are. If the wind is not bad then we run them. There is a dedicated group of people that make sure the trails are in good shape and the mile markers are clear, clean and up todate! Yet I still run the County roads as it is easier than traveling into town most days.

Boy you guys are impressive - woo hoo! I did outside once this week and it was ugly - still haven't warmed up from last weekend! Plus (lame excuse) I think running in the snow I strained my knee and it's tender...boo hoo...but wimpy mileage for me this week!
                  Cincinnati Flying Pig May 4
                    Our group run last Sat was moved to Sunday afternoon due to ice coverd snow. Then the freezing fog moved in early in the week. DANGEROUS crap that!! Yesterday (2/22) was clear, and dry and 43* so out I went. But the firs .8 miles was directly into the wind and it was blowing about 15 to 20 mph. Almost turned my butt around but I stuck with it and had a nice run once I got to the place where the wind was not in my face. Tonight is scheduled to be off as tomorrow is a group run of 6 miles. But I am planning on 5k tonight just to get my miles up. I feel better after a run and miss that!

Know the feeling - I was traveling this week and had a very low mileage week... unfortunately I seem to have a pattern of good week, bad week:-)
                        Well now is my bad week again!! We have 50* overcast with wind. But my run yesterday resulted in pain. My lfet IT Band hurts and my right foot on top just below and to the left if the center of the instep.

I have been getting in my long group runs each weekend but the week day runs, not so much. IT band is flairing off and on again. Yesterday was just 8 miles a 4 mile out and 4 back. The knee felt OK until the return 4 miles and I started hitting those down hill sections. Gritted my teeth and kept going. Our race walker commented that I seemed to have a great pace becase I was consistant from begining to end in the last few runs. And I must admit that comment made my day. Unlike our 10 miler the knee was sore but not bad at the the end of this run and I had some left to pick up the pace for the last .25 miles. I realy watched my heart rate and really tried to keep it in the 80% range. The run was very good. A little ice at home and this morning no stiffness at all.

You're doing well - and still going out there week after week for those long runs! Soon it'll be warm.......