Half Marathon Trainers

Review of the year, plans for next year. (Read 573 times)

Since my racing season is now over I am starting to set goals for next year, so stealing someone else's idea, I thought I would post a thread. Are there any key races or new distances you would like to try? I am thinking about a 10 miler, a new distance for me. Do you have mileage goals, or time goals you want to meet in training or racing. I want to break 45 minutes in the 10k, possibly 1:40 in the half, though that may be a bit optimistic, and run at least 2009 kilometres in the year. How about you guys? Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I'm thinking about a 10-miler, also, in February. So I'm crazy!! Surprised I would like to break 29 minutes in a 5k, and 1:05 in a 10k. I'd like to run a HM non-stop, even if it's slower than I did the last one by walk/running.

Prince of Fatness

I was hoping for a fall marathon next year, but now that I am dealing with stress fractures I am taking a step back. Not that I won't do it, but my goal now is to hold off on goals until I am recovered from injuries.

Not at it at all. 

Stress Fractures???? Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised Do Tell!!! Are you okay?

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Prince of Fatness

Stress Fractures???? Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised Do Tell!!! Are you okay?
            Yeah, I'm OK. I went to the doctor Monday because my shins weren't feeling any better even after some time off. X-rays showed signs of stress fractures in both shins. I go for a bone scan Friday and follow up with the doctor Monday. I'll have more details then. I actual feel better now than before I saw the doctor. At least now I know. I'll be alright.

Not at it at all. 

Tough break, Mr.PH, but at least you know what you have to deal with. I don't think there are any shortcuts with that type of injury.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Yeah, I'm OK. I went to the doctor Monday because my shins weren't feeling any better even after some time off. X-rays showed signs of stress fractures in both shins. I go for a bone scan Friday and follow up with the doctor Monday. I'll have more details then. I actual feel better now than before I saw the doctor. At least now I know. I'll be alright.
                Hang Tough My friend, I know it truly SUCKS when you get handed an Injury on a Silver Platter when You have invested SO much time in the training. One thing this sport teaches you is that No matter how careful you are, no matter how many miles you run, you are still at the mercy of your body. My girlfriend who has been a career runner (25+ years) tore her meniscus just out of the blue when she started getting " new" knee pain for NO reason at all. No mileage increases, no anything weird. Now you can join the rest of us on the training bench! I am back to running a little here and there, but I am beginning to think that I am better at shorter distances, where training does not involve pounding my legs to oblivion for days on end. I find that I am enjoying it MUCH more. I began weight lifting about a month ago, and it's dropping the pounds really fast for me, because ( go figure) it's really true that weight training super charges your metabolisim. I am feeling stronger, my legs definitely don't hurt as much running now, and my whole body composition is starting to change. It's exciting! Keep me posted on what the good Doc has to say. Rest, re-group, and Move Forward. xxoo Cheffy

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Prince of Fatness

Thanks, Cheffy. I did add intervals to my training schedule. That certainly had something to do with it, but I'm not going to the extreme and not ever do intervals again. There are other factors I think, too. I have some pretty good ideas of where the problems came from. One thing I've learned over the years is that it's not about what happens to you, but how you react to it. Easier said than done I know, but it does work if you give it a try. That said I'll cross train for however long I need to then ease back into running. No hurry, I'm in this for the long term, right? I know that you don't just lose your fitness overnight. Two years ago I severely tore my groin (not running related) . I couldn't run for 6 weeks, and couldn't even cross train for 4. I was pleasantly surprised how quickly I recovered my running fitness. So I'm not concerned about that. I'm glad to hear that your training is going well. The fact that you are enjoying it is the key.

Not at it at all. 

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Cheffy, you're doing great! I'm glad you've found something that works so well for you. Mr PH, when I was about 22, I heard a preacher say almost exactly the same thing - "It's not what happens that's important, but what you DO with what happens that matters." It was one of those life-changing statements that I've always remembered. DH and my kids are probably tired of hearing me say it! It does help if you can keep it in mind, though. I'm supposed to be packing. DD and I leave for the Boston airport about noon tomorrow. I've tried to get DH organized down to the gnat's eyelash, but I think it's hopeless. I stay busy all day, every day, with work and household stuff, so how can I expect him to cover his work plus mine for two weeks?? I just can't worry about it - he and the two boys will survive somehow. I've run 20.5 miles this week, hoping to get up to 30 for the week. I think I can, if I run tomorrow morning and then hit the TM at the hotel in London on Saturday morning. I did 7 miles this morning, and it felt like 5 miles used to.
                      Cheffy it sounds like you have a good plan there, keep it up Smile Mr PH sorry to hear about the shins, get well soon. Simon 10 milers are the rare but they are an nice distance, there should more of''em I doing my 15th half in 10 days & then planning a 3rd full in the Spring (probably Pittsburgh) I don't pretend to race them anymore but signing up keeps me going.

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

Since my racing season is now over I am starting to set goals for next year, so stealing someone else's idea, I thought I would post a thread. Are there any key races or new distances you would like to try? I am thinking about a 10 miler, a new distance for me. Do you have mileage goals, or time goals you want to meet in training or racing. I want to break 45 minutes in the 10k, possibly 1:40 in the half, though that may be a bit optimistic, and run at least 2009 kilometres in the year. How about you guys? Simon.
                        So, it'll then be 2010 kms in 2010? Nice. I think I've raced most standard distances this year, from 5k to marathon, and PR'ed in all of them, especially those I've run for the 1st time Smile Added 15k and marathon distances. I never got the chance to lower my HM time to 1:25. My last two HMs were marathon training runs, executed as progressions. Hopefully, I'll get a shot in the Spring. This month, I'm going to try and get my 5k down under 18mins but that'll be a real stretch as I have a nagging injury that hampers speedwork. Next year, I'd also like to run a 30 minute 8k/5 miler. Currently, I'm over 2000 miles so will average >40 mpw for the year, which is way over my original plan. Since I'll be a Dad next year, I'll have a "slightly" different focus and probably won't get the same mileage. As such, I think my goal will be to run more local "circuit" races for my track club, which tend to be shorter races. I may do a small fall marathon then focus on training for Boston 2010 as I can't make it in 2009.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

Hi everyone. I haven’t checked in on the HM board in a while. Hope you’re all doing well and I really appreciated your advice, comments and encouragement for my first HM in October. Seeing the ortho Wed about my runner’s knee but I’m optimistic that the worst is behind me and I’m getting better. I’m actually going for an easy 6 miler tomorrow with my running club. I haven’t run with them since late September so I’m excited to run and be social with other runners again! I’m going to finish up 2008 with a 5k turkey trot Thanksgiving morning and the Mill Cities Relay on 12/7 – my first ever team event with my running club and first relay ever. I’m really looking forward to it. Hopefully the knee will be OK and I’ll be able to push the speed a little. For 2009, I want to log 1200 miles including my first marathon in the spring. I’m leaning towards the Vermont City marathon or the Providence, RI marathon. Boston is too tough to get into and I’d have to raise a lot of money for charity in a tough economic environment. Maybe 2010? I’d like to do another half marathon in February/March. Then I’d like to follow up with another marathon in the Fall. Maybe Chicago or NYC. Good luck everyone in 2009! MTA: I want to break 1:45 in a half and 4:15 in a marathon Big grin

Since I'll be a Dad next year,
                            congrats and good luck!

Hi guys! MrPH - Please take care of those shins over the holiday season - with rest and careful recovery you'll be back in the bag in the spring. Everyone - CAREFUL with the injuries. I'm recovering from a very minor car accident, but 3 weeks later I'm just figuring out how its affecting me (upper back and shoulders) Right now, I'm trying out a strategy similar to Cheffy - some weight training to take off the last 5 lbs (hasn't happened just yet) and stabilize knees and ankles for next year. So my running has been pretty light - I just want to get to that 1000 mile mark - I'm supplimenting with elliptical and walking. Next year - 5K 28-29:00, 10K 60-62 minutes, and I'd like to do 2 HMs - maybe I'll get into the 2000K group (1242 miles) So I'm here and reading along, but nothing exciting to post... Have a great holiday - embrace the winter OR cuddle up with a good book or friend. A PS Teresa - I hope you are having a great trip in South Africa - we will need a report when you return.

Recalculating...

IMKY13 finish!!

Well, I didn’t quite come to my goals for 5K and half marathon in 2008. So next year, my two time goals are: 1) Break 25 minutes in a 5K 2) Break 2 hours in a half marathon Once I accomplish those…new time goals will be set (but one goal at a time). I should be able to break my goal of 1,250 miles by the middle of December. Next year’s goal is 1,300 total miles. Here are the half marathons I’m thinking about doing next year… Frostbite Cedars of Lebanon Half (February) Tom King Half (March) Country Music Half (April)-already registered for this one Indy Mini-Marathon (May)-already registered for this one Middle Half (Oct) Team Nashville Half (Nov) I’ve got a handful or so 5K’s and other races spread throughout the year. And then I’m thinking about doing the Flying Monkey Marathon in November…we shall see.

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles