Half Marathon Trainers

Half Marathon Trainers September 2008 (Read 680 times)

Was going to do 12 miles today, but altered it and actually did 13.1. 8.5 miles of that is the actual course my HM will be on. Next week, I'm planning on running the actual course. Did some things different today. As you saw by my post abpove, my pre long run meal was a nice fat lobster, lots of butter Big grin. But on the serious side of running, I experimented today with different energy boosters. I tried some Sharkies Berry blasts. I really liked the taste, but they were too gummy (the're like gummy bears) I also tried some Sport Jelly Beans, which I liked and will use them again). I also used a Power Bar Gel, which I didn't care a lot for. I honestly can't say if any of this stuff helped me, however The Sept issue of Runners World said that if you're running for 1:15 or longer, you should probably take some stuff in. They suggested starting at 45:00 M or so. The most important thing was to see how they sat in my stomach and I had no problems there. I only took 8 Oz of water and 8 Oz of Powerade today and it wasn't really enough, I should have added at least a third bottle for my run, I'll be sure to do so next week. Ayola, Glad my pre-run meal met your approval. Kind of common to your neck of the woods, but a real treat for me. Simon, How did you legs feel today after your 3 hr run? As for the storm, it went through CT yesterday afternoon and into the early hrs, but other than rain, we didn't really feel it way up here in the NW corner of the state. This morning was beautiful out and a very pleassant run even at 2 in the afternoon. Take care everyone. Larry

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Cheffy, how are you doing? After my horrible run on Saturday, I was very happy to have an excellent 6.7-mile one this morning. I was also relieved that my running partner stayed up with me! At first, she didn't know how far she could go, so I said we could stop early, but secretly I was hoping I could "drag" her along, and my plan worked! And she was pleased at herself. What is your running plan for next week (week of the race)? According to Hal Higdon's plan for novices, I should just do 4 miles Tuesday, 3 miles Wednesday, and 2 miles Thursday, but that seems like so little! Thanks!
        Teresa, sounds light to me as well, but I don't have my plan handy (it's at home) I'll check it tonight and see, but seems to me, it was run light, take the day two days prior to the race off then an easy 2 miles (optional ) the day before. Larry

LPH

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Thanks for checking for me, Larry. Part of it's just pride - I don't want a week in my log with only 9 miles in it! I'm working hard to stay ahead of the 1000-mile bunny. Right now, I'm about 34 miles ahead, but my trip to South Africa in November is going to screw up my running - it's hard to run in Kruger National Park, and Cape Town isn't very safe. Problems, problems! Wink
            I've been kinda winging my HM training. I've had a plan, just not overloy structured. I’d love everyone's input on my training coming down the home stretch of the Boston Half on October 12th. My long run this past Saturday was a trail run of 11 miles, 1:39:17. I was pretty gassed the last mile. It’s a loop and almost all uphill at the end. I made it but I know I ran it a little too fast. I was alone since I didn't make my group run earlier due to heavy reain. Last week’s 9.5 miler with the group was much better and I felt pretty fresh at the end of it. I was a good 20-30 seconds per mile slower on that run. Lesson learned. That said here’s what I’m thinking for long runs leading up to the half: 9/13 – 12 miles 9/20 – 13.1 miles 9/27 – 8 miles 10/4 – 9.5 miles Taper week 10/12 – Race day Whaddaya think? My only thought was to move the 13.1 to 9/27. And then do the 8 on 10/4. I want to be fresh for the race but I don’t want to rest too much and screw myself up. And I'm figuring on a lot of past during taper week and a big pasta meal two days before. Big grin

IMKY13 finish!!

I've been kinda winging my HM training. I've had a plan, just not overloy structured. I’d love everyone's input on my training coming down the home stretch of the Boston Half on October 12th. My long run this past Saturday was a trail run of 11 miles, 1:39:17. I was pretty gassed the last mile. It’s a loop and almost all uphill at the end. I made it but I know I ran it a little too fast. I was alone since I didn't make my group run earlier due to heavy reain. Last week’s 9.5 miler with the group was much better and I felt pretty fresh at the end of it. I was a good 20-30 seconds per mile slower on that run. Lesson learned. That said here’s what I’m thinking for long runs leading up to the half: 9/13 – 12 miles 9/20 – 13.1 miles 9/27 – 8 miles 10/4 – 9.5 miles Taper week 10/12 – Race day Whaddaya think? My only thought was to move the 13.1 to 9/27. And then do the 8 on 10/4. I want to be fresh for the race but I don’t want to rest too much and screw myself up. And I'm figuring on a lot of past during taper week and a big pasta meal two days before. Big grin
              I usually like to do my last long run two weeks prior to race day. I actually have a half marathon on 10/12 also. This is what I plan on doing... 9/13 = 11 to 12 miles 9/21 = 8 to 9 miles 9/28 = 12 to 13 miles 10/5 = 8 to 9 miles 10/12 = RACE 13.1 miles!!! Good luck with your training and your race!!!

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles

Prince of Fatness

Whaddaya think? My only thought was to move the 13.1 to 9/27. And then do the 8 on 10/4. I want to be fresh for the race but I don’t want to rest too much and screw myself up. And I'm figuring on a lot of past during taper week and a big pasta meal two days before. Big grin
                I think you should be fine switching the 13 miler to 9/27.

Not at it at all. 

Teresa, The book I'm using and guide that I am somewhat following suggests the following schedule for race week. Sun 8M Rest on Mon tues 6M Rest on Wed Thursday 4M Rest on Friday Opt 2M on Sat To me, this is a bit too much rest. As my race is on a Sat, I'll revise to rest only on Sunday and Thursday (only two days rest) Run the 8 on Sat, then do 6-6.5M Monday, 5M on Tuesday, 4M on Wed, Rest on Thursday and then an easy 2-3 miles on Friday. Not sure if this helps you, but by the suggested schedule I'm modeling after, it's 18-20 miles the week prior to the race vs the 9 miles you're looking at. Larry

LPH

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Thanks, Larry! That does help. I think I will go somewhere in between, since my MPW are lower at this point than I would like. This week will be about 25 for me. Maybe I will do 15 next week, and then race on Sunday. Thursday night is when I go to the clinic put on by Jeff Galloway - it will be interesting to see what he is like in person.
                      I usually like to do my last long run two weeks prior to race day. I actually have a half marathon on 10/12 also. This is what I plan on doing... 9/13 = 11 to 12 miles 9/21 = 8 to 9 miles 9/28 = 12 to 13 miles 10/5 = 8 to 9 miles 10/12 = RACE 13.1 miles!!! Good luck with your training and your race!!!
                      That's helpful. I'll likely tweak it a little and do my 13.1 on the 27th/28th. That's what I was wondering. Then I can do an easy 9 or 10 on 10/4. Thanks for your posting on the taper week as well. I think I agree with you that it looks like a little too much rest. I'd probably take two days off and just keep the miles and pace down. Good luck in your race too!

IMKY13 finish!!

Thursday night is when I go to the clinic put on by Jeff Galloway - it will be interesting to see what he is like in person.
                        I went to one of his school's earlier this year...he is great!!! I got a few pointers from him which seem to have helped.

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I went to one of his school's earlier this year...he is great!!! I got a few pointers from him which seem to have helped.
                          Oh, that's good to hear! CHEFFY, where are you??
                            Oh, that's good to hear! CHEFFY, where are you??
                            Here, and enjoying a bit of a taper till race day, Unintentional. Teresa knows this, and I posted on the main board but when I had my last deep tissue massge, my MT found a " macro-tear" in my left soleus. Therefore, I am on restricted treadmill running at low miles till the half. At first I was devistated, but now, I am relieved. We looked at my log, and both feel confident that I have already done the work to get ready to do this half. Since it is my intention to just complete it as a personal goal, and not go out there to Kill it, I am happy with it. I only had felt a dull ache in my lower left leg, almost like you feel when you have a cold achey muscle, but when she started to work on it, she felt it. She said it's very small, but does not want it to get worse before the race. So, I have been cross training like crazy, with eliptical and arc trainer at the gym, and I ran 3 on Saturday and felt okay after the run. Just a little more sore than usual on that leg. Today it feels totally normal, but this is a planned rest day, and I will do some walking and gentle running at the gym tomorrow. My stragegy for race day since the course is so hilly, is to go into a gallowalking interval type run to finish the thing un-Injured. A bit of a setback, but I have every intention of running another HM either later in the year, or early spring, as I continue to build my base to top out to around 30MPW withougt training for anything. Wink

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Prince of Fatness

A bit of a setback, but I have every intention of running another HM either later in the year, or early spring, as I continue to build my base to top out to around 30MPW withougt training for anything.
                              Sorry to hear about your setback, but I must say that you are going about this with absolutely the right attitude. You'll get through this race with some takeaways for next time, and there will be a next time. Good luck with your race. Have fun. And let us know how it went. Smile

Not at it at all. 

Hi everyone. I have been off the computer for a few days for various reasons, so not keeping up with events very well. Larry, I was surprised my legs felt fine the day after the 3 hour run, and even that evening. Surprised because i really struggled with tightness and bruised feeling in my calf muscles as if someone had hit the back of my leg below the knee with a baseball bat. I did a lot of walking in the last 30 minutes! Under the arches of my feet was also very tender. When I got home I took a single Ibuprofen, drank a can of Ensure and soaked in a hot bath for 15 minutes, then slept on the couch for 2 hours. Magic, felt great! I took off the next couple of days, partly because I was busy, partly to make sure I was recovered, plan to run tonight. Cheffy, sorry to hear about the torn muscle, but best to find out and not make it worse trying to tough it out. Recover soon! Teresa, hope you enjoy the Galloway clinic. EGH3, there seem to be various theories on tapering; I think I would agree with Larry's recommendation. i think some plans are aimed at higher mileage/more experienced runners than we are. I believe in the idea of reducing the mileage but running at normal paces. I also think a decent warmup is important, especially for shorter races: I don't think its a bad idea for a 5k to jog the course starting an hour before the race, and I would do at least 5-10 minutes jogging plus stretches before a half. That way, I find, you are ready to go. Just my take on this, of course! Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.