Half Marathon Trainers

Half Marathon Trainers September 2008 (Read 680 times)

Sorry to hear about your setback, but I must say that you are going about this with absolutely the right attitude. You'll get through this race with some takeaways for next time, and there will be a next time. Good luck with your race. Have fun. And let us know how it wtent. Smile
    Thanks MrPH! By no means do I feel bad about this. The very small tear is not much more than what a regular micro tear is in regular aggressive training. Because I had run so many hills, and was suffering the chronic tight calves, it was likely my 6 mile run last Wednesday withought my Garmin at a pace that I am sure was faster than I needed to be running, that did that to me. Like I said, it is a great feeling of relief that I think I will actually enjoy this race more, because the pressure of running it competitively is greatly reduced. For a change I will be taking in the sights of the spectators, and won't be wiped at the end of it. At least one knows that I will DEFINITELY PR next year on that same race! Smile Yesterday was my One Year Anniversary to lacing up for the first time. I remember that day like it was a week ago, this year has gone by so fast. I will never forget how hard I cried when I could not run for 30 seconds straight with C25K W1D1, and thinking I was destined to be a middle aged fat bellied Woman. Look at me Now! I can run 12 mile long runs, can run Too Fast ( obviously Roll eyes ) and will be completing a Half Marathon in less than 2 weeks. I have lost 14 pounds of fat, gained tons of muscles ( thanks to my monster calves) and have a resting heart rate of 57. I am healthier and Happier than I have ever been, and I can't wait to reach my next milestone. I certainly know that with all of you, The Journey will be sweet. Happy Running to us All! Smile

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Great post, Cheffy! I will emulate your attitude - enjoy the race, and not worry that it will be slower than I originally planned! Happy anniversary! I remember that first-day feeling well - ack, I can't run 90 seconds!!!! Bless my friend, Robin, who said it didn't matter. And look at us now - we're RUNNERS! Yep, the next year should be a good one, also.

IMKY13 finish!!

Thursday night is when I go to the clinic put on by Jeff Galloway - it will be interesting to see what he is like in person.
        Teresa, I meant to ask you in my earlier post...do you use the Galloway method (run/walk/run)? Just so you know...it's what I use.

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Teresa, I meant to ask you in my earlier post...do you use the Galloway method (run/walk/run)? Just so you know...it's what I use.
          Well, I was of the mindset, "No walking, EVER," but since my achilles tendonitis, I'm trying to be a little more cautious. Since my training was interrupted, I don't think it's realistic for me to run my HM non-stop, so I'm thinking about adding some walking breaks. That's one thing I'm going to ask him about at the clinic. I'm wondering how to figure out what run/walk ratio I should use. When I look at his formulas online, my pace is so slow that I would be walking a lot more than I want to! I may try a 14/1 ratio this week and see how it goes. What do you use? Does it vary depending on race distance?
            Well, I was of the mindset, "No walking, EVER," but since my achilles tendonitis, I'm trying to be a little more cautious. Since my training was interrupted, I don't think it's realistic for me to run my HM non-stop, so I'm thinking about adding some walking breaks. That's one thing I'm going to ask him about at the clinic. I'm wondering how to figure out what run/walk ratio I should use. When I look at his formulas online, my pace is so slow that I would be walking a lot more than I want to! I may try a 14/1 ratio this week and see how it goes. What do you use? Does it vary depending on race distance?
            Teresa, Do post when you get the proper answer, as I was wondering this same thing. I talked to the Gal who runs my local running store and she is a galloway fan, and she said the intervals like you are describing are not feasible because the ratio of running is far going to outway the benefit of the short walk break. the way she explained it to me was that the run ratio needs to be smaller, because the longer you run, the more your muscles will want to lock up when you slow to the walk interval. And your walk interval must be a Brisk pace, or your muscles will lock up. Let me know what you hear!

Happy Anniversary Cheffy and not to sound korny or anyhting, but you've come a long way baby!. I'm sure you'll do fine in your HM, you certainly have the right attitude. Larry Yesterday was my One Year Anniversary to lacing up for the first time. I remember that day like it was a week ago, this year has gone by so fast. I will never forget how hard I cried when I could not run for 30 seconds straight with C25K W1D1, and thinking I was destined to be a middle aged fat bellied Woman. Look at me Now! I can run 12 mile long runs, can run Too Fast ( obviously Roll eyes ) and will be completing a Half Marathon in less than 2 weeks. I have lost 14 pounds of fat, gained tons of muscles ( thanks to my monster calves) and have a resting heart rate of 57. I am healthier and Happier than I have ever been, and I can't wait to reach my next milestone. I certainly know that with all of you, The Journey will be sweet. Happy Running to us All! Smile

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

I agree on performing my last LONG run two weeks before my HM (actually, for me it'll probably be 13 days), but will still do a couple of 8 milers during the last two weeks. Larry
                I usually like to do my last long run two weeks prior to race day. I actually have a half marathon on 10/12 also. This is what I plan on doing... 9/13 = 11 to 12 miles 9/21 = 8 to 9 miles 9/28 = 12 to 13 miles 10/5 = 8 to 9 miles 10/12 = RACE 13.1 miles!!! Good luck with your training and your race!!!

LPH

Happy Anniversary Cheffy and not to sound korny or anyhting, but you've come a long way baby!. I'm sure you'll do fine in your HM, you certainly have the right attitude. Larry
                  Thanks Larry! Attitude is everything. It's clearly what has kept me adding notches to my belt of insanity the last year! I am excited for the race, looking forward to watching all the great runners kill it, and I look even more forward to eating afterward! Smile We are running Komen for the Cure here in Charlotte in early October and that race will be great as well, especially because Hub lost his mom 2 years ago to BC. An emotional, and inspiring day will be had for sure. Races and events like these are what keep me lacing up everyday. Wink

Cheffy, I"m so glad to hear from you, despite the bad news. You have such a great way of dealing with this running thing, great planning, great plan B, and finding pros to diagnose and work on your body... you are going to be the coach soon enough! AND I really am looking forward to your race report. Teresa, I'm totally interested in what the Galloway answer is to the run/ walk idea. I've been experimenting and I like the 14/1 the best (9/1 felt to short, 19/1 too long - although it probably mimics running mostly and walking just at water stops) Alot of us picked up running to shed pounds, stop smoking and improve ourselves physically. I've also discovered that I like being outside enjoying nature and my neighborhood - running has given me alot of happiness in the past year. I'm hoping everyone here is really enjoying themselves - now if our bodies will co-operate... Happy Tuesday A

Recalculating...

Ringmaster

Cheffy, I just had my first "runniversary" too. I didn't follow the official C25K but I remember the day I ran a whole mile . . . I couldn't believe it. DH has run for years and it just never occurred to me that I could do it too . . . one year later, he is thinking of training for my HM (shhhh . . . it's our secret), but he's never run more than 5 miles, and if he does it, I know I'll have to consider whether to run it with him or go for a PR . . . I'm going to have to bookmark this thread so I can come back to it when I get ready for my taper. I wasn't crazy about what my schedule called for either. Thanks for asking about us, Simon; I thought Ike had us in his sights but instead it battered the islands again. We sure dodged a bullet. In the meantime, my runs have sure been windy lately. Every passing storm churns up some gusty conditions to make my training interesting. Last week was really heavy on the mileage--did some crazy repeats of a loopy course and then ran too far from home--but ended on a pretty good long run. This week is definitely a cutback. I shelved my run today as I couldn't face running into 20mph headwinds again. Cheffy, I'm glad you feel good about your 'forced taper' before your race. I think you're right--the hard work is done. Get well! Larry, I'm not a fan of any gummy candy, so for now it's Sport Beans for me too. I tried them for the first time on my first summer 10-miler and they seemed to help. You're right--I started munching them right at about the 45-min mark. I can't believe I forgot them on Saturday, when I was out there for 2:35. Dummy! Thank goodness for water fountains and our local running group, who puts out Gatorade! I ran my first half with water alone but I might think about bringing some Beans along this time, or at least fueling up with Gatorade. A local runner was hit by a car on the road we all do our long runs on. The two people she was with said the car actually carried her for about a block. She took off the side mirror as she rolled off the other side. Thankfully, it had a piece of a BMW logo so they put out an APB on them--no plate or color information because this happened at mile 1 of a run that started at 5am. Driver came in to a body shop and they caught her. Asked her why she drove away and she said she was just so shocked by hitting the runner. But not so shocked she wouldn't get her car fixed! Anyway, the runner was running a 20-miler in training for the MCM and only has scrapes and bruises, and hopes to go back to training and run the race. Amazing, huh. I'm off to look for more blinky lights! Even though I don't start running on that road until 6, it's still dark, and bound to be darker as summer ends. Be safe out there, friends.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                      Mile by Mile

IMKY13 finish!!

When I look at his formulas online, my pace is so slow that I would be walking a lot more than I want to! I may try a 14/1 ratio this week and see how it goes. What do you use? Does it vary depending on race distance?
                        Teresa, Jeff will tell you that a 14/1 ratio is too much...I use a 4/1 ratio (as per Jeff's instructions) and it works out good. I used to use a 5/1 ratio, but when I went to his school he told me I should be using a 4/1 ratio. Let me tell you..it was great. I had done a HM in 2:09:17 on a flat course using 5/1. I then went to his school and he told me to use 4/1, which is what I used on my next HM about a month later. Using the 4/1 ratio I achieved a 2:05:09 on a hilly course. I only use the 4/1 ratio for HM...when I run 5K's, I usually just take a walk break after mile 1 and mile 2. It's amazing how you speed up by taking walk breaks earlier & more often. He will tell you, however, that after mile 9 or so (for a HM) that you don't have to take walk breaks (that's up to the individual). Good luck!!!

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles

Hey Vix, Well congratulations to you on your anniversary as well. Wow, just like Cheffy, one year of running and getting ready for a HM, I'm very impressed. Big grin Yeah, I really enjoyed the Sport beans over the Sharkies. Beleive it or not, I found a really good selection of energy stuff at Target. I purchased a few of each including different energy bars etc. and giving them a try. I hope your local runner is really okay. Sometimes you don't realize you're hurt until a day or so later. But you're right, everyone has to be careful. I was almost hit in a crosswalk at a fourway stop sign this past Sunday and I can't tell you how many times a vehicle has come close to from drivers either cutting a corner to sharply or just not paying attention. Larry
                          Cheffy, I just had my first "runniversary" Larry, I'm not a fan of any gummy candy, so for now it's Sport Beans for me too. A local runner was hit by a car on the road we all do our long runs on.

LPH

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Thanks, Paul - that's so interesting. I'm trying to convince my running partner we should try the run/walk method, but I think she wants to run more. I suggested that we at least give it a try on our HM walk-through (oops, no pun intended) on Friday. At the race, I'll just do whatever I want to, because we don't stick together during races, anyway.
                            Ringmaster

Hey, Larry, I just got back from Target and I was impressed by their selection of energy stuff. Got some new Luna bars. Their regular-sized bars are a lot for me, but their snack-sized ones are just right for me.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                              Mile by Mile

Had an excellent run last night, left me totally satisfied. Set out, I was only going to do an easy 5M at about and 8:00-8:05 pace. After my normal warm-up (walk and stretch) I set out. It was clear at the very start, that my legs felt great, very relaxed and fresh, even though I had run 13.1 miles on Sunday. So I changed my pace goal to a 7:40-7:50. For the first 2.5 miles, that's about what I ran, but as I started my return run, my speed just kept picking up. Even though I kept telling myself to slow down, I found myself going faster and faster. I ended up completing my 5M in a 7:21 pace, one second off my PR set in a race last month and my final mile was a 6:57 pace. I was just flying and wasn't putiing a lot of effort into it. I hadn't done any speed work since before my 5M and 5K PR in mid Aug so this was quite surprise Big grin No soreness or anything today. Well gotta go as I'm meeting up with a friend tonight for a run together. Catch up with you later. Larry PS - Vixi, Now you See what I mean about Target. Completely blew my mind wiht thier selection of stuff.

LPH