Half Marathon Trainers

Half Marathon Trainers September 2008 (Read 680 times)

Larry you are getting really fast, that's a great run! I have thumped a car on the roof with my fist in frustration before now, he was turning right at a stop sign, stopped, looked left for cars, then drove out in front of me. I will likely do the Terry Fox 10k for Cancer Research on Sunday. Good luck to racers this weekend! Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

EGH3, there seem to be various theories on tapering; I think I would agree with Larry's recommendation. i think some plans are aimed at higher mileage/more experienced runners than we are. I believe in the idea of reducing the mileage but running at normal paces. I also think a decent warmup is important, especially for shorter races: I don't think its a bad idea for a 5k to jog the course starting an hour before the race, and I would do at least 5-10 minutes jogging plus stretches before a half. That way, I find, you are ready to go. Just my take on this, of course! Simon.
      I agree. I'm likely to follow the taper that Larry posted. It made sense to me. Regarding the warm-up though. I was planning on just starting slowly for the first 2-3 miles and then seeing what pace I felt comfortable with after that. I don't stretch before running but I do start slow and get to my pace after a good 5-10 minutes. Only thing I do is toe taps. When I ran a 7.5 mile race in june, my pace was 7:47. It almost felt too fast for the first 2 miles but adrenaline got me through it and by mile 3 it felt natural and easy. I know that's not the best thing to do for a half. I need to start more slowly and then pick it up. Being my first half, I need to be more careful about pace so I don't bonk. My 11 miler this past Saturday was a killer for the last mile. I was shuffling up the last hill. But that was a trail with a pretty good uphill for the last mile. I did the 11 in 1:39. I'm looking forward to doing the 13.1 in a few weeks just to see how my body handles it. I think I'll have a better idea of how hard I can push in a race. sorry for the long post. Lots of thoughts wobbling around in my little brain today I guess. I'm getting excited already. Modified to fix some bad typos

Ringmaster

George, do you run with a running watch? I use my Forerunner to make sure I don't go out too fast. For my first half I tried to keep a comfortable pace for the first 10 miles (they had pacers, so I made sure I stayed between the 2-hour girl and the 2:15 person), and then pushed it for the last 5k. It was definitely a faster pace than I'd run in training, but I had plenty left in the tank for those last miles. Mind you, it killed, and I remember writing later that I felt like I was barely moving, but my pace was faster--a little bit. I was happy that I had given it my all--I was beat by the end of that race, and I knew I'd run it as well as I could.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
        Mile by Mile

I almost never run without a warm-up walk and then stretching. Then for races, I also add in a jog after the stetching. I am however reconsidering this for my next HM. I'm thinking of doing my normal warm-up, but not the jog. Maybe this way, I'll slow down at the start until I've warmed up a bit. I went out with a 7:30 Pace for the first 4 miles and if burned me out later in the race. Part of it was that the course was poorly marked for the first three miles and then it took the 4th mile to confirm it.
          I agree. I'm likely to follow the taper that Larry posted. It made sense to me. Regarding the warm-up though. I was planning on just starting slowly for the first 2-3 miles and then seeing what pace I felt comfortable with after that. I don't stretch before running but I do start slow and get to my pace after a good 5-10 minutes. Only thing I do is toe taps.

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Thanks Simon. The car that almost hit me in the crosswalk had stopped at the stop sign, had to come across the road (so she was onthe far side) and so there was no excuse that she didn't have time to see. If it hadn't been some young girl. I probably would have given her a verbal expression of my thoughts or a one finger salute as she stared at me like "What the f--K, are you doing in the crosswalk"
            Larry you are getting really fast, that's a great run! I have thumped a car on the roof with my fist in frustration before now, he was turning right at a stop sign, stopped, looked left for cars, then drove out in front of me.

LPH

Teresadfp

One day at a time

You were right, Paul - the Galloway clinic was excellent! The most helpful part was that he convinced my running partner that we need to go slower on our long runs - hooray! What I've been saying for awhile, but I guess it sounds better coming from an expert. Cheffy, believe it or not, at the pace at which you and I run, he recommends a 1 minute / 1 minute run/walk ratio. He said it's counter-intuitive, but using the right ratio really helps you go faster. So my RP and I are going to check out the HM course tomorrow morning and give it a try. I was surprised she was open to the idea! I told her we can see how it goes, and then we can do our own thing during the race. He did say it's OK to run more the last third of the race if you're feeling strong. I asked him about my injury and the HM, and he was very helpful. He said I should still be applying ice directly to my achilles tendon every night. He mentioned the 1/1 ratio for the HM. He said especially with an AT injury, the walk breaks are important to recover from it. He's a very nice guy - listens carefully and gives thoughtful answers. I'm so glad we went. Our run tomorrow will be interesting.
                Wow Teresa! Talk about informative! You always wonder about guys like him, if they are really snobbery type people that are elitist pr**ks or not, but I am so glad you got the opportunity to talk directly to him! I would have never guessed a 1/1 ratio, but Hey the guy obviously knows his stuff. Those who follow his programs put up the numbers to prove it. It's worth a try, I may try that today on the TM to see how it feels. I assume it means that your walk intervals need to be very fast paced walk? still in proper running form? Great Advice indeed to keep us running after we get through the race. At what pace does he recommend the long run to be?

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

IMKY13 finish!!

You were right, Paul - the Galloway clinic was excellent!
                  Teresa, I’m glad you enjoyed the seminar. He really is a great guy and very down to earth! Did he have you run for him as he watched your form? He did that and pointed out a couple of things (things I still need to do at times). Let me ask you…how many times did he say “puke”? Tight lipped When I attended his seminar, he seemed to like that word a lot. Anyway...like you say, his ratios seem to becounter intuitive…but they work (as I posted in an earlier post...it worked for me). Good luck with your training and your upcoming HM...good luck to all!! Man, after this mornings 5.4 mile run in 72 degrees and humidity, I am most definetly ready for some cooler, dryer weather. I am just praying that it's cool & dry for my HM next month...I really want to break 2 hours.
                  At what pace does he recommend the long run to be?
                  He says that your long runs should be about 1 to 2 minutes slower than race pace.
                  I assume it means that your walk intervals need to be very fast paced walk ?
                  Here is link to a spreadsheet that will help you figure out how fast you need to run depending upon your walk break speed and your run/walk ratios. Just plug in the numbers in the yellow highlighted boxes and it will give you. http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pE5irqF-J52htGQGHDaQsXg&output=xls Just know that I did not create this spreadsheet...I DL'd it from another person on RA here...but I couldn't find that link.

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles

IMKY13 finish!!

MTA...double post 8 Ball

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

Ringmaster

Ugh, I'm ready for cooler weather too, Paul. I'm hoping to break 2 in my race and I felt great about it last week . . . this week I think . . . I'd be happy just to get close to my last race time of 2:02. I've been slow as molasses.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                      Mile by Mile

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Cheffy, he explained that everyone should run a mile on a track, maybe three times a season, to see how fast they can do it (after a warmup). Then add 30% to that to get your marathon pace. Then add ANOTHER two minutes to get your long-run pace! Yikes. For me, those numbers would be 9 mpm - 12 mpm - 14 mpm! That's the overall pace, including walk breaks. I don't think I will go that slowly. Our overall pace today (1:1 walk/run ratio) was 12:27, and that felt slow enough. We DID enjoy our long run on our HM course this morning. I went 12 miles in 2:29:22. The best thing about walking so much is that when you run, you really RUN, instead of slogging along. As he suggested last night, we just ran naturally, without getting caught up with our actual pace. When I looked at my Garmin, we were often doing 9:30 - 10 mpm, which is about 1:30/mile faster than usual. Even after 9 miles, we felt great. We got a little tired after that, but we had no trouble finishing. My running partner stopped after 11.25 miles, because she hasn't been running as much as I have. But she was happy with how it went. I told her that Jeff Galloway was a godsend for me, because the course turned out to be VERY hilly, surprisingly so. The website stated that the course was 33% less hilly than last year. Oh, my goodness, last year must have been horrible, because it still seems very tough. I think that if we'd tried to run non-stop today, we would have bagged doing the HM, seriously. The main obstacle I can see to this method is pride. Will we feel bad saying, "We RAN a half marathon," when we actually walked half of it? I told my RP that I often say things like, "I DID the race," so that's what I will do after this one! As Jeff said, there are NO health benefits to running faster. The only benefit is to your ego, and mine is already big enough, lol. Just my two cents. I have to say, this is a 180-degree change for me, but I'm happy with it! Paul, thanks for your encouragement. It really does help to hear that other "real" runners use this method! Smile Smile Smile
                          George, do you run with a running watch? I use my Forerunner to make sure I don't go out too fast. For my first half I tried to keep a comfortable pace for the first 10 miles (they had pacers, so I made sure I stayed between the 2-hour girl and the 2:15 person), and then pushed it for the last 5k. It was definitely a faster pace than I'd run in training, but I had plenty left in the tank for those last miles. Mind you, it killed, and I remember writing later that I felt like I was barely moving, but my pace was faster--a little bit. I was happy that I had given it my all--I was beat by the end of that race, and I knew I'd run it as well as I could.
                          Nope, no Garmin here. But I pretty much know my pace by feel. I just run with a Timex Ironman and map my route in advance. I definitely ran a much harder pace for my 7.5 miler than in training. My goal for that race was 8:00 and I ended up 7:47. Just felt good that day. I mean, it felt awesome. Real easy. But I know I couldn't maintain that for 13.1. But 8:45? Maybe. Wink Larry, I've done much trial and error with regards to warm-up and stretching. I'm sure we could each cite dozens of articles on both sides of the issue. I start my runs with toe taps and a slow jog and it works for me. I always do a 5-10 minute walk cool-down and then a good post-run stretching routine. Just my own experience is that stretching beforehand - even after a warm-up does nothing for me. In fact, I think it hurts my run. Knock on wood, I'm running as pain free as I ever have been right now and at my highest average miles. I credit the Mizuno Wave Inspires for that. Amazing what the right shoe will do. Big grin

Wow T! That is just AWESOME girl! I have emailed my local Galloway running club here, and He got right back in touch with me, and said I could jump in their group, as there are Two additional HM's that I would consider doing, one is the first week of December, (BQ race for the full ) and another in spring time. Since the Thunder Road race program is already 1/2 way through the program, he said he would pro-rate my fee for the remaining time, and I can decide If I want to do the training group run for the Spring Half. I agree with you, this is way more about pride, and If you look at it this way: Jake Knight is a HUGE Galloway fan. He is a VERY FAST Marathoner. He started with him, and still uses run/walk for alot of his training runs. He has just transitioned out of the that for the actual races, although he is the first to tell you it's okay to take walk breaks at the race. If you look at the number of folks who do this type of training, the numbers speak for themselves, and you saw first hand the reason why. You are not so wiped out from plodding along, you can actually RUN when it's time to run. This to me, speaks VOLUMES. I just think there are those of us ( me and you) that are later in life runners that are just gonna be prone to injury, and this to me is the way to do what I love, and keep from pounding myself to the ground run after run and spend more time on the couch than on the road. I'll take the ego bruise thank you very much! Wink One other benefit I see with this is the pacing is very condusive to endurance, and fat burn because you are not running beyond your aerobic capacity. Smile

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Well, in honor of 9/11 yesterday, I ran 9.1 miles last night. (that's closely gestimated, so it could be 9.11) I don't usually do a long run of more than 6.5 during the week, but have stepped it up the past two weeks for the final push for my 9/27 race. EGH3 - I hear you about stretching, it's each to there own and it certainly opens up a lot a can or worms. My stretching routine works for me and the people I know who have adopted it say it's worked for them as well. As for injuries, it still comes down to other factors like "OVERDOING" it and pushing too hard. Teresa, In case I didn't say it, I'm glad you enjoyed the Galloway meeting and hope you adopt a practice that works for you (and you to Cheffy). The one thing we all need to keep in mind, that we are amatures, I don't see any of us in this little group that is going to go out and win races. So it's first and foremost for us a recreation (and punishment) and it's rewarding. We each get different rewards and often the same rewards. The key is to get healthy, be healthy, have fun, try to stay injury free, and have some success at what we do. I'm very proud of all of my friends here, that we all persevere, we all challenge ourselves and we all set some type of goal to measure our success. If the goal is to complete a HM, then that's perfectly fine, no make that it's "great". Think of how many couch potatoes are sitting on their asses and doing nothing. Think of how many runners are running 5Ks and 5Ms and 10Ks who don't have the drive to do what we are doing. Be proud just to be working for it, be proud for trying it and for heavens sake be "PROUD" for doing it. I think I used to say to myself, that those people out running long miles were sickos, but I think that was because I lacked the desire and drive to do it myself. I now have found that drive and it's addicting. My wife is beginning to think I'm nuts, maybe I am, but at the moment I'm loving each and every (okay almost every) mile no matter how hard it seems and I'm proud to wear my HM Tee shirt or to tell people I've run a HM or just completed a run. God most people can't even phantom a 5M run never mind a 10 or loger. Okay, got to get off my high horse and get going. Anyone racing this weekend? Larry

LPH

IMKY13 finish!!

Will we feel bad saying, "We RAN a half marathon," when we actually walked half of it? I told my RP that I often say things like, "I DID the race"
                                You only walked half of it time wise…not distance wise. If you use a 1/1 ratio and run 10 minutes miles and walk 20 minute miles (just to make the math easy), than you ran for approx 8.8 miles and walked for approx 4.3 miles of the 13.1 race. That is still a GREAT accomplishment!! How many people can say they ran/did/whatever a half marathon? Plus, if you stop the walk breaks toward the latter miles of the event, you’ll run more miles, plus improve your time
                                Paul, thanks for your encouragement. It really does help to hear that other "real" runners use this method
                                I know…there are a lot of runners who HATE Jeff Galloway and his run/walk/run method. But you know something; I am not out there running for them…I am doing it for me. Just do what feels and works best for you!!! BTW Teresa, I am originally from Boston (moved to Nashville about 10 years ago) and spent many summer days in Maine.

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!