Half Marathon Trainers

Half Marathon Trainers September 2008 (Read 680 times)

IMKY13 finish!!

Anyone racing this weekend?
    Not this weekend…but I am doing a 5K race inside a men’s prison on Wednesday morning. It’s called the “Jaunt In The Joint”. It actually consists of a marathon, half-marathon, and 5K. You run along the perimeter of their sports field, which is approx .347 miles. So for a 5K you run 9 laps, for HM you run close to 38 laps, and for marathon you run 75 ½ laps (guess you’d know what a nascar driver feels like). The “free-worlders” (that’s what we are called) run/race along side the inmates. The inmates are really nice, and they love the event. It’s all free…all they ask is a donation of gently used running shoes for the inmates 9i've got three pairs all bagged up and ready to give them). I did the 5K last year and had a great time. Everyone have a great weekend!! Hope everyone has great runs/races/whatever you are doing this weekend Cool

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles

Paul, I just read your profile. You and your wife seem really lovely, and I hope I get to meet you when my Hub and I come to Nashville in November for the Monkey. We are volunteering for it, as That is WAY too much Marathon for one mere running mortal! Your story is so familiar, but one that is great just the same. Wink

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Hi guys, I'm just about to go out for the long run this week - the sky is dark and gloomy like a Whistler painting OR the beginning of a horror movie. Paul, Teresa, Cheffy, The Galloway business sounds really interesting - thanks for the links. I've been trying out all different types off runs - this week I did my first "acceleration run" in the middle of the week. Today, I'm going to stick to my plan of mimicking the race situation by running about 2 miles and walking a minute (water stop), but I think I'll try a shorter run/ walk interval before the race and try to find my Galloway book - must clean office. I'll check in later, A

Recalculating...

Prince of Fatness

I know…there are a lot of runners who HATE Jeff Galloway and his run/walk/run method. But you know something; I am not out there running for them…I am doing it for me. Just do what feels and works best for you!!!
          Yeah, personally I am not into it, but I know that there are some people that have posted some pretty good race times using this method. Whatever gets people out the door and to the finish line is fine with me. No racing for me this weekend, but shortly I'll be heading out for a nice easy 13 miler. Have a good weekend everyone.

Not at it at all. 

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Cheffy, good luck with the Galloway program! Let me know how you like it. I'm wondering if my RP and I should get his year-round training program. I can tell she's been getting a little discouraged, and this might be the spark to keep her going. I need her to run with me!! I knew JK uses walking breaks, but I didn't know he actually used Galloway. Cool! He has certainly gotten faster. I hope he shows up on the boards again soon. Paul, as an engineer you would think I'd have figured out that we ran more than half the distance, but I hadn't! Thanks for pointing that out. Good luck at your prison race - I've never heard of anything like that before. Mr. PH, I know what you mean - I didn't think I'd be into it, either. I've learned to never say never, though! I'm just glad it will help me finish the HM in one piece! Big grin MTA: Larry, DS's team ran in an XC meet yesterday without much competition, so they decided not to push too hard. They still took the top 8 places, plus #10 and #12. They were mentioned in New England Runner magazine, and DS's sub 9:40 time in the 3200 m last spring was written about specifically. Blaine (RunToWin) saw it and gave me a heads-up. I love the internet - otherwise, I'd never have known about the write-up.
              Well You know Teresa, I don't think I ever WANTED to go this way, but it appears that If I want to run for the remainder of my life, I may have to do this. Those that follow this plan say it's the greatest thing they ever did for their running, and I know that If I continue on the path I am on, my body is going to keep rebelling on me, and I don't want to lose an OUNCE of all that I have accomplished in the last year. A training group will be good for me, I need a change from my running routine, and Hub is so much better at the running thing than I. He is a natural for it, is running really fast, not getting injured and totally irritating me for it! Evil grin He doesn't think this running group thing is necessary for me, and I think part of him feels like I am abandoning him, but even when we run together, he takes off, and does his thing, and I am left on my own, inside my head, and when it ain't good, the downward spiral of negative talk starts, and I end up struggling the entire time. That's no way to run, and certainly not what I signed up for a year ago. A positive group run each week will keep me on the right track, keep me training properly, and provide great support during the races, and most importantly Keep from being INJURED. Thanks so much for posting all your information, this is the what I needed to get me over my difficult time with my calf injury. Wink

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Cheffy, I overheard Jeff talking to some women about keeping the negative messages out of their heads when they run. I wish I'd heard more, because it sounded interesting! I bet they talk about that during the training program. If so, let me know what they say! I'm bad about that, too. I also got the impression that quite a few runners have started this due to injuries, and then decide they like it so much they stick with it! Interesting. GOOD LUCK! I'm so happy for you. We will both keep running!
                Ringmaster

Hey, Paul, you and your wife sound like my hub and I. I've lost 60 pounds, and he is beginning to run more--he used to run to keep fit for tennis and now that he can't play tennis (he's been diagnosed with MS and can't see the ball well), he's running longer distances. He doesn't quite call it "training" yet, but I see it coming. Big grin Cheffy, I think the training group will be great for you, especially if you and dh run at different paces. Running with a group provides training and emotional support that will keep you grounded and help you run for a long time--injury free! I'm excited for you and Teresa as you try the Galloway method. Cutback week this week, and SRD today. Maybe 9 tomorrow. Teresa, your son and his team are doing so well! You must be beaming!

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                  Mile by Mile

IMKY13 finish!!

Good Monday morning to everyone!! Hope everyone had a good weekend!!! Had a great weekend…went for a nice 13 mile run Sunday morning. I went out at like 6:00am to avoid the heat…but it was still hot & humid at the hour. Thankfully, it was overcast (and that kept the heat down somewhat) and it was windy (remnants of Ike), and that cooled me off at times too. It was still hot…but not as bad as I thought it was going to be. I felt pretty good and did it in 2 hours & 15 minutes for a 10:23 pace, not bad considering the weather. This morning it was about 60 degrees when I woke up...although no run this morning (gotta recover ya know). I’m excited about tomorrow morning’s run, as it’s supposed to be drier and in the upper 50’s tomorrow morning…should be a great morning for a run. Have a great week everyone!!!

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles

Thanks for the update and congratulations. Make sure you get a copy of that article and save it for his scrap book/s. Certainly worth mentioning when he's applying to schools MTA: Larry, DS's team ran in an XC meet yesterday without much competition, so they decided not to push too hard. They still took the top 8 places, plus #10 and #12. They were mentioned in New England Runner magazine, and DS's sub 9:40 time in the 3200 m last spring was written about specifically. Blaine (RunToWin) saw it and gave me a heads-up. I love the internet - otherwise, I'd never have known about the write-up.

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Well, my intention was to run 14 miles yesterday, but ended up having one of those terrible running days. I had originally set out to run about noon time. Had just pulled into the parking lot when my son called and was at my house looking for me. So I had to go back home and ended up involved in a project with him until 4:30. So made it back to my running location at 5. By that time, it had gotten really humid out (the humidity was almost 80%). I had a very poor run. Ended up walking 5 times and was outright dying. I had started out with a nice easy pace. Not knowing the mile markers on this course, I calculated that I did about a 8:20 for the first 2.5 miles then about 8:00 for the next 4, but then started dying and only got about another 3/4 mile in before I had to take a walk break for a minute. Once I gave up mentally it was all downhill from there, I just couldn't hold it together. I did finish the course with a 1:50:52 time, but it was a terrible run. Today my left leg hurts at the shins. Fortunately, it's a rest day so I'll rest and see how it feels tomorow. See I am human just like everyone else here. Larry

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Teresa, your DS is doing so well - its going to be a great season. Sorry about the humid run Larry, you will be zippy again on Wednesday. I guess the last remnants of Ike hit here this morning 69º and 100% humidity and thunder at 5:30am in MAINE - so I took myself to the YMCA and did some stationary bike along with a slow 3 miler and stretching (still sore from saturday) I did 11 miles on saturday with 7 of those at "race pace" 10:30-11m/m with walk breaks (11:25 overall) - I managed it but OK the 19/1 ratio was way too long, next weekend I'll try walking one minute per mile for 13.1. That will be the last 13 miler (2 weeks out) - I'm getting nervous. Maybe I'll try 8 miles the week before? During the week I did some runs (4-6 miles) with one acceleration - for about 25 minutes I started at 12m/m and got down under 9m/m - maybe better on the last downhill. I'm looking for 50º tomorrow morning.... Happy monday, A PS If you meet DH/ DW at local breakfast place after your long run the whole town will appear when you are wet and smelly

Recalculating...

Ringmaster

If you meet DH/ DW at local breakfast place after your long run the whole town will appear when you are wet and smelly
                            I believe that! Big grin 7 miserable, slow ones on Monday had me believing my tempo run today would be a disaster, but, no, it actually was a success--negative splits and everything. One of those runs where you're on cruise control. It would be a dream if I could hit that feeling during the race. It's funny because the last ten days I've struggled to find that feeling at a 10/10:30 pace, and today I hit it at a 9min pace. Crazy. Maybe I should try slowing down my easy runs instead. Teresa, Cheffy, how you girls feelin'?

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                            Mile by Mile

Hey Vixi, With almost all cross training, I don't really know how I am feeling! I am just going to go to this race, run what I can, walk alot of it ( galloway style) and hopefully celebrate my Hub's finish time, as he has worked SO HARD for this, and trained so well. I already am signed up for my next half, so My training starts with my galloway group in a few weeks. Doesn't it figure that the next two group training runs have to be missed because my work gets in the way? Wink

Rough start to the week for me. Had a great 12 mile run Saturday morning but got stung by a yellow jacket later that morning in the side of the knee. Had an allergic reaction and am now the proud owner of a new epipen. Tongue. Swelling in my leg has finally gone down enough for me to get back out tomorrow. I haven't had 3 straight days off in quite a while. Not sure whether legs will feel rested or heavy but we'll find out. I'm lucky it wasn't worse. Can't wait for tomorrow morning. Big grin