Half Marathon Trainers

Half Marathon Trainers September 2008 (Read 680 times)

I think all of you can be proud of yourselves for sticking to it and getting in some training runs, whether good or bad. I have done almost nothing for 10 days, and for no good reason-i simply didn't feel like it enough to go running! I think the loss of motivation has something to do with realising I am not going to run the time I had hoped in my half next month, and more or less saying "To heck with it." Anyway, I ran tonight, just over 10k, and didn't feel bad, cool night and a decent pace. Life goes on....no big deal.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

I think I would consider myself lucky that it happened afterwards and not during your run and that you were able to recognize there was an issue and get it taken care.
      Rough start to the week for me. Had a great 12 mile run Saturday morning but got stung by a yellow jacket later that morning in the side of the knee. Had an allergic reaction and am now the proud owner of a new epipen. Tongue. Swelling in my leg has finally gone down enough for me to get back out tomorrow. I haven't had 3 straight days off in quite a while. Not sure whether legs will feel rested or heavy but we'll find out. I'm lucky it wasn't worse. Can't wait for tomorrow morning. Big grin

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Simon, You got to get yourself out of this funk. Stop worrying about not making your goal. Your first goal should be focused on running it and then let the chips(time) fall where they may. So come on, let's concentrate/focus on running the race, the fun of all that and of course the wonderful scenary that goes along with it. I know after my run on the course on Sunday, I was pretty dissappointed with my effort and even had thoughts about not running the Race. Then I said screw it, I'm still running it whether this was just a bad day or what, but I'm doing it. Look at Teresa and Cheffy, who both have been trying to get over injuries, but they aren't giving up, so neither should you. Do we need to start checking your log everyday to make sure you're running? Larry
        I think all of you can be proud of yourselves for sticking to it and getting in some training runs, whether good or bad. I have done almost nothing for 10 days, and for no good reason-i simply didn't feel like it enough to go running! I think the loss of motivation has something to do with realising I am not going to run the time I had hoped in my half next month, and more or less saying "To heck with it." Anyway, I ran tonight, just over 10k, and didn't feel bad, cool night and a decent pace. Life goes on....no big deal.

LPH

I think I would consider myself lucky that it happened afterwards and not during your run and that you were able to recognize there was an issue and get it taken care.
          Thanks Larry. You're absolutely right. I'm very fortunate and glad to be getting back out on the trails. Got an inexpensive warning.

Look at Teresa and Cheffy, who both have been trying to get over injuries, but they aren't giving up, so neither should you.
            You Sound like a Dang Cheerleader Larry! I just came from my Sports Massage, and she has happily stated that my tear is healed, and my calf is still very stiff and tight from the injury, but things certainly felt MUCH MUCH better than they had the last time she worked on my leg.She is very pleased that I took the Re-Hab seriously, and we both feel like I will be able to complete the race Saturday, if I am smart and careful about it. I did a 3 mile Interval run last night and felt great, so I am just looking forward to going on Saturday and having a BLAST. Who gives a $hit what time I come in, my next HM in December is the one I will really have a great chip time for...... Woo Hoo! Happy Running! Smile

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Great news, Cheffy! You and I are SO in the same place! I had a wonderful 4-mile run today, much faster than I intended. It felt so good! And the weather report for Sunday looks favorable - no rain, and not too hot. It's great you have another HM planned - I need to find one! Does anyone know of a good one in New England? I will post the question on the masters' board, also. Have a good evening! Teresa
                Great recovery ladies, I'm getting excited about your races - I've got a busy weekend here with DH birthday/ pirate party, long run early on Friday - I'll look for those reports... I wish you the very best! A

Recalculating...

IMKY13 finish!!

Does anyone know of a good one in New England?
                  Here's a good link to find some half marathons. Just click on the state for a list. http://www.half2run.com/index.php?option=com_racehopper&task=race_filter The list will also include a link to the HM web-site as well.

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles

Cheffy, that is really great news and I love your atttitude. It's like I told Simon, go and have fun and make the most of it. My leg is still bothering me, not sure what i did to it last weekend, whether it was running or up and down ladder to help my son, but the shins are really sore. The fortuante part, is that it is othering me more walking than it is running. However my runs have been shorter this week and less intense as I've started tapering gfor my HM on the 27th. I was going into this race not setting a goal and planning on just relaxing and running anyway, so I'm still planning on it and hope that if the issue hasn't gone away, it'll hold up enough for the race. Teresa, On Oct 12th, they are having the Hartford Marathon and HM here in Hartford. I happen to know that Blain is going to be in the area (for a wedding or something) but was not planning on running it as he didn't think he could sneek away from Family etc. Just a thought. It's a pretty big race if that's the type of thing you're looking for. For me, I prefer smaller ones. So what do you think Cheffy, Should I get some Pom Poms?

LPH

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Thanks for the tip, Larry, but I don't think I'll be ready for another HM so soon. I want to have some time to improve my endurance and speed (if possible, lol). I hope your leg gets better! That seems to happen to me, too - an injury bothers me when I'm NOT running. Thanks for the link, Paul. That's a great site. I think I will aim for one next spring. Have a good afternoon, everyone! Teresa
                        So what do you think Cheffy, Should I get some Pom Poms?
                        Only if you post a picture of you " shakin 'em" as your new Avatar! : Shocked Shocked Shocked Wink

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Would that bring a bigger smile to your face? Evil grin Larry
                          Only if you post a picture of you " shakin 'em" as your new Avatar! : Shocked Shocked Shocked Wink

LPH

dork.major dork.

Teresa- I ran the Boston Half Marathon last fall and LOVED it. Other than that you might need to wait til spring... I'm thinking I'll do the New Bedford one (but I haven't check ME, NH, or VT yet)

Reaching 1,243 in 2008 -- one day, one week, one mile at a time.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Yes, I think spring makes the most sense for me. I would like to see some improvement, and that will take me a little while! It will also motivate me through the Maine winter. I am thinking about doing a 10-miler in early February. I'll sign up for it, and do it if the wind is under 20 mph! Extreme cold I can take, but not the wind.
                                Larry you are definitely going to have to be a cheerleader for the group, and post a video clip! Good suggestion about checking my log and giving me a prod every now and again; I tend to train for the taper more than the running, I'm almost an elite at tapering! Cheffy and Teresa, perhaps the spring is best for achieving your time goals, events this fall will give you good experience especially with pacing, and help you reach those goals. I notice that some of us are active on the "Masters" group, I have been thinking about posting there occasionally but they seem very focussed on the marathon, many are outstanding runners and have been for many years, so I feel a bit intimidated. Get out there and get sweaty! Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.