Half Marathon Trainers

Half Marathon Trainers September 2008 (Read 680 times)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Thanks for the great info, Simon! I don't think I will risk running in Jo'burg. We will be there only a day or two, and we'll be staying with a friend of my dad's. He's an assistant professor who has lived there a long time. When we were there in 2005, he gave us a tour of the city, and pointed out the areas to avoid. It was sad for my parents, because they used to love going to some of the malls years ago, and now they're just not safe. I never knew the city was at such a high altitude! Wow, I'll have to find out more about that. It was startling to see pine tree-covered mountains close to Kruger Park! You don't think of forests in SA. It WAS a surprise in SA to notice that EVERY house is gated and has a security system! This professor has a gorgeous house - tennis court, swimming pool, and gardens tended by a gardener - all surrounded by high, thick walls and a big iron gate. He couldn't afford that on his salary in the US! He also has a full-time maid. He said he didn't really need her that much, or want a part-time gardener, but the whites do feel an obligation to provide jobs for black people whenever they can. I thought that was cool, but then he added, "Yeah, it's kind of like having slaves!" Shocked Shocked A very nice, cultured guy, so that was kind of shocking. I LOVED Cape Town - can't wait to get there again. Even there, you have to be careful, though. We talked to some ladies who stayed at a little hotel away from the tourist area, and when they were standing outside on the sidewalk, a guy came by and ripped a necklace right off her! Even with the crime concern, I tell lots of people about SA and encourage them to go. It's worth the trip.

Prince of Fatness

Welcome irun4waffles and chimera.

Not at it at all. 

50 halfs by age 50

Thanks for the welcome! Vixi...your family is close by! I have not done Gasparilla...usually too close to the Sarasota race. My one and only full was Disney this year. Is there a race you're currently training for?

*Mel* //  "A lot of people run a race to see who's the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts." - Steve Prefontaine

Vixi, I am being smart, which is why I'm not doing any running at the moment. I know I can probably do some minimal running and found that it hurt less when I ran than walking, but that it got worse over the week. It was cetainly an indication that this is more than a muscle pull. Rubbing it, I feel the pain right down at the bone level, so I'm not messing with it at the moment. On the bright side, with the extra time over the wekend, I got our master bedroom put back together after a make-over and now just have to finish the closet and some molding in the walk in area. I even finally ran Satellite wiring up there and the wife is "VERY" happy.
          Hi, everyone. Larry, no foolishness now. One missed race is better than a permanent injury. Be smart, o fast one.

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Prince of Fatness

Larry, is there a reason you aren't going to the doctor? I'm just thinking if it were me I'd want to know for sure what the problem is.

Not at it at all. 

I've definitely been considering it If I still had my old Dr (who retired two years ago) I'd be there in a heart beat. His level of care and concern over 30 years was outstanding. Also, he was a runner as well. My new Dr, is only so so. I pretty much know that he'd tell me to rest it, nothing broken (I can tell that by feel and pressure) and I broke my Tibia 34 years ago (as of yesterday) and know that this is nothing as serious as that. Could be a stress fracture, but at this point, I don't think so. It's not I'm limping or anything, if you saw me walk, you wouldn't even know I was suffering. The funny thing is, is that I really don't think I did this running or the run may have only been the extra that put me over the edge. I had spent the whole afternoon working with my son to repair a chimminey, up and down the ladder, hugging the roof line (I'm a frady cat when it comes to heights) and then went out for a 13 mile run. It was a terrible run that day, very humid (80% or more) I was running easy, well over 8 min pace and had to stop and walk about 5 times besides. Just wasn't my day. But there was nothing unusual on the run, no trips or anything and the leg felt find until the next morning. But I hear you and will give this a few more days and see how it plays out and if it's not gettting any better, I've get it checked out. Larry
              Larry, is there a reason you aren't going to the doctor? I'm just thinking if it were me I'd want to know for sure what the problem is.

LPH

Ringmaster

Well, Larry, I certainly hopes this resolves itself. Injuries are a pain in the . . . well, wherever they are. Here go the walking wounded again, huh? Though with satellite wiring at that, huh? Big grin Hey, running docs are the best! My ortho is a marathoner and we had a long appointment where he told me about checking out "Joanie" Samuelson's legs while she was in recovery from surgery many years ago here locally. He just had to do it . . . Hey, Mel, no, I'm not training for Disney. I'm not sure I can run in that kind of crowds. Maybe someday . . . Smile That's my answer for everything! Actually, Ft Lauderdale is putting on just a half in November, which will be run on a very similar course to my first half so it'll be great to compare times.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                Mile by Mile

Well, did some reading tonight on possible injuries and after reading a lot of mumble jumble it has me concerned enough to give in and call my Dr. Although walking quite fine leaving work tonight, I was in quite a bit of pain. My book says I can have anything from Shin splints, to stress fracture to Achilles problem and a bunch of stuff that I can't repeat without the book in front of me. So tonight I'm wallowing in my pain. We just finished off a bottle of Greg Norman wine and almost done with a Barcardi and coke (diet of course) and it's only 8:45. Had one really bright spot tonight and that was talking to my grandkids/DD and DSI. I'm not happy being sidelined.

LPH

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Oh, Larry, I'm sorry to hear that. Hang in there! A couple of months ago, I didn't think I would be feeling as good as I am today. Hmm, wine sounds good, though! I think I'll go find DH.
                      Larry, I'm really sorry about the injury, and it seems worse than you originally thought. I had what I think was a deep bone bruising last year which prevented me from running all but short distances, but it did gradually fade away. You have had a terrific year with some really strong running, things will get better! Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Good morning all! And welcome Waffles and Chimera, Hey Larry - I'm hoping you get a diagnosis and start on the path of recovery. Last Friday I did my last regular long run 13.1 at 2:37:00 trying to keep it right around 12 m/m pace including 1 minute walk breaks at each mile. This week I've done 13 miles over 3 days - at a nice slow pace. The best part has been the temps 42º, 39º, and 40º This weekend I'll try 7-8 miles as my long run. 10 days until HM - starting to get nervous, A

Recalculating...

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Good luck, Ayola! I can't remember, is this your first HM? You'll have to tell me what it's like - we're thinking about doing it next year. Specifically, how hilly is it? Wink
                            Dear Teresa, Yup, its my first HM and I have a goal of getting under 2:30:00 - McMillian says 2:17:00 (I know that's an ideal situation) I haven't previewed the course like you did - I'm a little far away. but I will map it out and check elevations. I have run around the city and up to Macworth Island (Blaine gave me a nice 8 mile course which I did this spring while at an architecture talk) but nothing past Falmouth. I'd love to do the HM you did, but I'll have to wait until the calendar makes it not close to DH's birthday... A

Recalculating...

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I got a massage from Michael Gaige at the Maine Running Company today, and we talked about the course. He called it "rolling hills," especially on Route 88. Right before the turnaround point, there is a good-sized hill. It didn't sound like anything too bad, though. I hope I can do it next year.
                                Thanks Teresa, I WILL map that run, hopefully the rolling hills of Belfast have prepared me... Happy Thursday

Recalculating...