Half Marathon Trainers

Half Marathon trainers - April '08 (Read 594 times)

Prince of Fatness

Great job Simon. String together 5 of those and you have your sub 20 minute 5K.

Not at it at all. 

Thanks for the encouragement; I can't imagine keeping that up for 5K! I am going to try to run a mile at that pace as my next goal, but I know there are several on this board who can maintain that pace for a sub- 40 minute 10k, I am starting to appreciate what that takes. Wow! Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

wbertha

Pinwheel, good luck on your race next weekend. Please post a race report for us. I really, really have to smile when runners start talking about sub 20 minute 5K's and sub 40 minute 10K's. Hey, for some of us a sub 40 minute 5K is really not too bad when it's cold and windy and hilly. Blush It is great to have runners of all experience levels and abilities on this board. It really is helpful when I need any info or advice. It is also great for support. Ran a slow easy 4 miles yesterday and did some more cross training (yard work). Today is a rest day for me so I did an easy hour of cross training (yeah, you guessed it...still working on the lawn). good runs to all, wbertha
          Hi - I've been around RA for a while but only just found this group. I'm training for 2 half marathons - 4th May (Nelson) and 1st June (Christchurch) with the possibility of a third one on 22nd June (Wellington) if I still feel up to it! I'm enjoying reading everyone else's training and preparations Smile

Prince of Fatness

Hi - I've been around RA for a while but only just found this group. I'm training for 2 half marathons - 4th May (Nelson) and 1st June (Christchurch) with the possibility of a third one on 22nd June (Wellington) if I still feel up to it! I'm enjoying reading everyone else's training and preparations Smile
            Welcome. Looks like you're getting the miles in. Good luck on your races.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Tempo run this afternoon. The weather was just about perfect ... 60 degrees. 2.2 miles warm up 6 mile @ 7:33 2.3 miles cool down

Not at it at all. 

wbertha

Tried working on speed the last couple of days. Did 4 miles yesterday which included some ladders on the treadmill and core work after my run. Today was a great day to be outside. Ran 2 miles, plus 2 miles, plus 1 mile at a local park. Tried to keep the pace to what I would imagine would be my 10K pace. Haven't ever actually ran a 10K. Have done 2 mile races, 5K races and 2 half marathons. Guess that I just skipped over the 10K distance. Felt good after each lap except for the final one. Then I was pretty tired. Hopefully this will help as I am a very, very slow runner. Well, the snow has finally left our area Shocked Hoping to have some decent weather the next few weekends so that I can get outside for my LSD runs. Don't think I have enough sanity to spare to try for double digits on the treadmill. But I certainly admire those who can. Mandy, welcome to the group. wbertha
                  Thanks for the welcomes Smile
                  Welcome. Looks like you're getting the miles in. Good luck on your races.
                  Yes I was managing to get some decent miles in for me. Until I got a cold on Monday Roll eyes Still should hopefully be back to it tomorrow or Saturday at the latest. And at least its now and not in 3 weeks time!

jules2

Rest day today but at least I've been out running this week as I now appear to have fully recovered from my half marathon in Holland, paste and google the link below to see the gory details. http://www.runningahead.com/groups/MastRun/Forum/0c1798d6039a473f9edd30cb17f6b2ec Anyway I now have four weeks to get in shape for my next half ( the Dog and Hedgehog ) I was hoping for PB but as can be seen from my training log I have had a bad couple of months. Anyway a lesson learned at great expense, stretching works and it does not matter at what age you start. When I visited a physio he gave me a stretch to use and told me to do it gently. I happened to visit a consultant and asked him he told me to do the same stretch but until it hurt as there was scar tissue which needed breaking up. Also he was very surprised how short my hamstrings were. Sure enough it worked and within a very short space of time I was up and running. I've now started to take stretching and strength exercises seriously. I going to do "a long one" this weekend so fingers crossed.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

wbertha

No telephone or email last night due to thunderstorms. Fortunately, we did not lose electricity. Got in 4 miles at the gym last night. It was supposed to be a slow easy night. Well, at least it was slow. Today is a rest day for me. So DH & I are going to run some errands and then grab a bite to eat. Have a movie to watch later so it will be a fairly relaxing evening. Supposed to do my LSD tomorrow but may have to postpone it until Sunday due to the weather. We will see. Good runs to all, wbertha
                        Ran my furthest distance yet yesterday and it was a 15K race!! Lots of hills for the first 3-4 miles. Wish I could say I ran them all but I did some fast walking. Anyway, my goal was to break 1:45:00 and my time was 1:42:05. Obviously it's a PR because I've never run that distance but I was really pleased with it. I was still smiling at the end and was not exhausted. I plugged my best 10K and this 15K into the race predictor and it seems my original goal for my first HM of 2:30:00 is doable!! More training ahead. This is a light week per my training schedule. I did 30 miles last week (another PR!) and this week calls for 17. I won't know what to do with my time! Happy running to all!
                        Goals:HM <2:30:00 htfu encourage my dh to get out of his recliner. htfu="" encourage="" my="" dh="" to="" get="" out="" of="" his=""></2:30:00 htfu encourage my dh to get out of his recliner.>
                        C-R

14 miler @ 2:10 (9:20/mi pace) while keeping my avg HR at 135. Next week is 15 miles in prep for a couple of HM in May. Two weeks ago I ran a HM at 2:15 with avg HR of 137. Looks like the LHR training is starting to pay dividends. Three weeks until the Indy Mini and I am shooting for a sub 2:00.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

3 weeks out from the Flying Pig 14 miles today at 10:00 min. pace, which was the goal. Great job Marsha! Smile See training does payoff. CarmelRunner that is a huge increase in performance in a very short time, I hope you didn't over do it. Everyone keep puttin one foot in front of the other. Big grin

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

wbertha

Five weeks out from Fargo. Did 10 miles yesterday at about 15 seconds per mile slower than race pace. However, it was all done in the gym. Today did 5 easy recovery miles and I was surprised that they were not too difficult. Maybe my endurance is increasing. Now if I could only say that for my speed. Looking forward to reading some great race reports in the next few weeks. Good runs to all, wbertha

Prince of Fatness

2 weeks out from the Lehigh Valley HM. 14.1 today, giving me 42.5 for the week. Next week I'll cut back a bit.

Not at it at all.