Half Marathon Trainers

Half Marathon trainers - April '08 (Read 594 times)

Taper week for me, 3.7 miles or 6k fun run last night. I tried to vary my pace and just play around, it was great, I felt like a kid again, just running because it felt good, I actually ran through someone's pile of raked up leaves, good thing noone was watching! Bertha, don't be nervous, you KNOW you can do it. And the adrenaline on race day will make you stronger and faster than you have ever been on a training run. Mr. PH, looking forward to a great performance after all that hard work, go for it! Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

wbertha

Simon, thanks for the kind words. Negative thoughts just seem to creep in once and a while. I have done 2 half marathons and while neither was fast (nor will I ever be) I was able to complete both. And that is really my only goal when I line up on race day. I need to "trust the training" because I have trained more consistently for this next one than the two previous races. While this is an easy week for me, I have been averaging about 28 mpw which is more than I have ever done. VixiDu, hope the doctor gives you some good news. Let us know how it goes. Did 3 easy miles tonight. It was pretty windy out but my times were pretty good so I was pleased. Pleased enough in fact to reward myself with time in the hot tub after my run. wbertha
      marflair

HI all, Popping in to say hi and good luck to Mr.PinNJ this weekend. My dh and I are doing the 8K Crazy Legs Classic run in Madison on Sat. It looks like shorter races for me this spring although I am considering a fall half and will def. do the Mardi Gras half on feb 1 (with a group of friends). Congrats to all of you on your great running. I am finding it harder to motiate myself for long runs but I am enjoying the miles I am putting in with dh - he is doing so good since he graduated from C25K. Mary
        wbertha

Mary, there a supposed to be a crazy number of entrants into the Crazy Legs run this year. Have heard more than ever. I would really like to do it some year but it is too close to my Fargo race. Did another easy night of three miles. Was inside tonight due to thunderstorms but the run went well and then I did some stretching and about 20 minutes of core work. Felt good as I have been neglecting that part of my training. Recently heard about a different type of race. It is called the Chicago Ubanathon. Guess there is one in New York City also. Sounds just weird enough to make me give some thought to it. Anyone ever done any thing like this. (check out heir website). wbertha
          Ringmaster

Hi, all. Hmmm. . . hot tub time. . . I'm trying to do some more core work too. Well, doctor's news was really good. He took x rays and said he was looking at "really normal knees." Didn't even see a need for mris. Said I was doing everything right, resting day before and after my long runs. Suggested going back to 4 days a week for a while, but said a winter marathon was fully doable. Suggested some strength exercises for my legs that might help and sent me for some blood work b/c my neuro had said some of my bloodwork was abnormal and maybe indicative of arthritis, so we'll see how that comes back. He did suggest to make up for losing one day of running that I should pick up some crosstraining. What do you all do for x-training?

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
            Mile by Mile

marflair

Back from race. This is really a fun race if any of you want to join us next year. Over 20,000 registered (runners and walkers) and we had no problem finding free parking at the finish line and getting shuttled to the start. It was really nice that we could wait in the capitol building for the start - it holds a crowd nicely and was toasty warm! It was cold and windy but no rain. The first 3 miles were really tough - into the wind and steep hills between mile 1 and 2. I wasn't feeling great until mile 3.5 when we were out of the wind and on flat ground. It was awesome running into the stadium and onto the field to finish. Also, Badger football and basketball stars high-fived us at the start. It is a wave start and we were wayyy baackkk so when we got to the starting point (around 10:40), the announcer said that the winner had finished 14 minutes ago!! Sort of puts it all in perspective! Anyway, we finished unofficially in 1:01:50 (according to the Garmin we went 5.22 miles). We were very pleased with the time in those conditions. Celebrated by eating lunch at Flat Top Grill (stir fry) and stopping at Trader Joe's for a mini shopping trip. Bertha, the numbers were crazy this year but I never felt like it was too many people (except for the very slow start, LOL!). Vixi, great news about your knee. I am building to running 4 days a week. I do elliptical or walk on off days, plus do 2 days a week strength training. Mary
              wbertha

Mary, fantastic race...congratulations. You are definitely not exaggerating the hills. I would really like to put the Crazy Legs on my "to do" list. Sounds like fun. Sorry the weather wasn't better. Vixi, good news from the doctor!!! As for cross-training, I try to get a couple of core/strength training sessions in each week. I try for at least 20 minutes 2 times a week. However, with my LSD becoming longer and my half marathon looming, I have been really neglecting these areas. I realize that is a bad idea but life and DH really only allow for so much time to work out and I have to prioritize. wbertha
                mattw1970

Injured

so MRPHinNJ how did Lehigh VAlley treat you ? I did alright. was gunning for sub 1:32 but wound up a little short of that with 1:32:33 the rolling hills on the parkway took a little bit out of me and I had no finish push over the last 5k. liked the race/event/ course alot though and I will definitely do it again. was PERFECT weather too
                  INJURED

Prince of Fatness

Matt .... Waiting for official chip time, but the watch said 1:39:49, so I think I got my sub 1:40. My only complaint is that my splits weren't as consistent as I would have liked them to be. But, I was able to dig deep, and ran the last 1.1 miles at a sub 7:10 pace to get the goal, so I am happy. Your time is great and you should have some good takeaways from the race. Congrats! And yeah, weather was absolutely ideal.

Not at it at all. 

Great race Mr.PH, we knew you could do it! Big grin You worked hard for it Cool Matt that's an awesome time... Congratulations to both of you Big grin

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Congratulations to Matt and Mr.PH, great races guys! I ran my half this weekend, too, rolling hilly course, small local race, very scenic route past a nice residential neighbourhood then fields and woods. I ran conservatively the first 15k, then got a bit carried away and tried to run at 8:00/mile pace for the last six. Almost did that, and finished in 1:53. Confident I can break 1:50 on a flatter course, and 1:45 by October. Enjoyed the event, saw several people I knew, good weekend. Simon.

congratulations all of you - matt, mr ph and simon - good running!!! i had an enforced taper over the weekend (a bit early!) with a minor calf strain. thats cleared up now and i went out to do 8k last night. but it made me realise just how tired my legs have been up till now - i've been having some really awful confidence destroying runs - but yesterday my legs were all bouncy and fresh - what a difference! so now i just need to hold onto that till sunday!
                          Teresadfp

One day at a time

Mandy, I'm glad that your rest helped! I hope my two-day rest does the same for me. My legs have been feeling heavy lately. We'll see how it goes tomorrow. It's supposed to pour, so I might have to resort to the TM again. I thought I was done with that! I ran 30.4 miles last week, so I've hit 30 three of the past four weeks. I have a 5k a week from Sunday that I would like to do well in, so I may not push as hard the next two weeks. Teresa
                              You two are both training really hard, I am sure you will have great races. I am more the type that goes out with high hopes and low mileage, and somehow manges to find something extra on race day. A bad habit I hope to overcome soon.

Great job MrPH, we knew Potato Growers could dig but we didn't know how deep Wink Seriously good race with a great finish! You earned the success with excellent training and committment. Congratulations Big grin Matt, Wow , way to run That's fast. Simon, very good, 1:53 is my goal this Sunday Smile I have the same race planhopefully it will work out for me too Cool Mandy I wish I could say my legs feel fresh & bouncy, good luck at your race... Teresa your steady process is a joy to watch, my advice is to decide which race is more important, if it's the half then don't push the 5k too hard. Sorry I half to run now Big grin

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.