Half Marathon Trainers

Half marathoners--July 2008 (Read 593 times)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Sorry to hear that, Larry. I hope the care you're taking pays off! I ran 3.4 miles with my running partner today. My ankle doesn't hurt, but I can "feel" it. I'm icing and stretching a lot. I'm hoping for 4.4 miles on Wednesday, but I'll have to play it by ear. Ick. DS15 ran the hilly LL Bean 10k in Freeport in 36:48. He was NOT happy with his race, because he started out too fast (first mile in about 5 minutes). I volunteered, so I got to see him at mile 2. He came in 23rd out of 918, 7th in his age group (15-19).
      Teresa, Good run by your son, but he still has a lot to learn (of course we all do it though) about going out way too fast and not pacing more. 7th out of the age group of 15-19 is pretty damn good considering he's only 15 and 23rd overall is fantastic. I've tried to get my wife to volunteer to help at races, but she can't be bothered. When is DS going to camp, it's sometime this month right? Glad to hear the ankle is better, but unfortunately not completely healed. I'm going to give it a try tonight and start with a mile and if it feels good, I'll do two miles, but no more than two miles tonight. If that holds up, I'll do another two tomorrow night and increase gradually from there. Larry

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Prince of Fatness

Hi folks. I hope everyone is enjoying their summer so far. I've been pretty much maintaining base for the last month or so. I'll spend the rest of the summer doing that, and sprinkling in a couple of short races. I ran my first 5K in almost 2 years last Wednesday. I finished in 21:16, which is a masters PR for me. I am not sure what my PR is. Somewhere in the mid 20's I think ... It was years ago. I want to run a couple of more 5K's to see how low I can go. No HM for me this fall. I am pretty sure that my goal race will be a 15K at the end of October. I really don't have the time to travel and this race is local. Not sure of an exact time goal yet ... maybe sub 70 minutes. Good luck to everyone with their training. Smile

Not at it at all. 

Hi Everyone~ Boy it's HOT as H.E. double hockey sticks outside...... UUUUGGGHHHHHH !!! Humidity is absolutely killing me.. an easy 3 miler today was totally HARD because the air was like jello. I certainly think I am learning how to HTFU with the training and heat combined. Did my long run last Sunday of 10 miles. In the Humidity. It was a long morning, but I did okay I feel. I drank 20oz of performance sports drink and felt like it was just enough liquid. I am still having a tough time with the whole building muscle pains.... my muscle right above my left knee ( extreme lower quad) is so damned tight after that long run.... It really smarts the next day. By the next run, it's fine, but I am getting tired of dealing with this annoying muscle stiffness. I guess it's just the ramping of mileage, and the increase in muscle from running hills..... sigh. Larry and Teresa: Sounds like your injuries are on the mend.... albeit slower than I am sure you are liking. I think of the two of you daily, and every time I am out on a run, I take thoughts of you along. hope you are back to full strength very soon. Injuries are scary, and I hope we all stay well. MrPHinNJ: Sounds like a plan for you... Congrats on your Masters PR! Holy Crap a 21 minute 5k is outstanding! I think that the 5K race is the most brutal of them out there.... you basically have to go all out or go home... That equals pain for most of us. I admire anyone that can run times like that and still get out of bed the next day! Wishing good Running and Safe training to all~ Cheffy Smile

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Ringmaster

Cheffy, reading your post was like reading my mind . . . I too wish I could be as fast as MrPH. Yikes. I'm still trying to beat my 26:15 5k PR. And yeah, who turned up the heat? The last two days have been misery! And dh is so good to remind me "Wait til August!" Thanks, babe. Larry and Teresa, I am also thinking of you, and trying to take care of my own knees. Here's to good healing!

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
            Mile by Mile

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Thanks for the thoughts, Vixi and Cheffy! It's nice to know people are rooting for me. Larry, DS flies to North Carolina on Friday for his camp. I hope he has a good week! I'm talking to Blaine (RunToWin) about coaching him a little, since Blaine has a coaching certification - I think he has good ideas about pacing and training. 86 in Maine today - hot for us! Tomorrow morning I will run at 7:45 am, before it warms up too much. I have a route planned out through a neighborhood next to the ocean - hoping for some breezes! Let us know how your run goes tonight, Larry. MrPHinNH, congrats on the fast race! Cheffy, are you stretching a lot? Be very careful!!
                Cheffy, are you stretching a lot? Be very careful!!
                I am not stretching a bunch. For me, Stretching seems to make things worse. I have very small muscle build, so I am quite sure that this is just the pains of increasing muscle girth. I know it's not excess mileage, I am training well within normal mileage ramp, and it's not too fast pace, as I am staying within my recomended training paces. ....... Confused Just have to be careful, and train carefully.... I am going to back off the hill workouts for a bit except for my long run, where there is a good sized hill that I run 5 times .....

Cheffy, Stretching seems ot be a personal preference for people, but I for one firmly believe in it. I now have a policy, that if I don't have time to stretch, I don't run. I spend about 10 minutes stretching before my run (and that's after a half mile walk) then another 10 minutes of stretching after another half mile walk (cool down) . I also try to stretch at home 3-4 times a week, while watching television. I'm not a very limber person, and this helps me out. I just have to ask you, what type of stretching exercises you did/do? Maybe you need to find some that suit your body, your needs and your problem. What would that hurt? Everbody - Thanks for the thoughts about recovery and healing. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for tonight. Teresa, If you want a coach, I think Blain is an excellent idea. I've read enough of his posts to have a lot of confidence in him. Just remember though, that ultimately you have to decide what is too much or too little for you. I bet DS is going to have a great time at Camp, but bet he's tired and ready for a home cooked meal by the time he gets back. Vixi, Want to know something. I admire runners who I see can run a sub 6 minute mile, hell for that matter even a sub 7, but I never say to myself that I wish I was that fast. We all have to do what our bodies will allow us to do. Age is a factor, body style is another, fitness, and beleive it or not hereditary is a factor. Some people will never run fast. So don't wish you could run that fast, think about how fast you do run, what would you realistically like to run and train for that. For me, my goal is to run a 5K this year in a sub 7 minute pace. My PR is 7:02 pace. Okay, I'm sigining off and leaving work for my run. Larry

LPH

Hey Larry, For Stretching, I do mainly tight calf exercies, as when I started running, I developed the common newbie shin splints.... I recovered from them with no problem, but due to all the Long Slow distance running that I do with building my base, I find my tight calves still problematic. I have a Pro Stretch thingy that works pretty well, but I find I do best when I do just some light stretching after my runs. I also Foam Roll my calves to keep the knots at bay..... I am also pretty limber, and take Pilates classes to aid with keeping " Loose".... I just find that If I stretch too much, I end up tweaking muscles very easily. Since I am injury prone, I just listen to my body and do what feels good and right at the moment. Wink

Teresadfp

One day at a time

LOL, I say, "I wish I was that fast" all the time! It's my competitive nature. I understand intellectually that I'm just trying to improve myself, but I like to WIN! I'm used to excelling in everything I do. I guess that's why I've never taken up running before now! I have to readjust my thinking... Cheffy, I should tell you that I was exactly where you are a few weeks ago. I NEVER stretched. Two things changed my thinking: 1. I got a sports massage from a guy who is also a running coach (his photo is in RW this month!). He said, "Wow, your muscles are REALLY tight. You should be stretching." 2. My achilles problem. The PT said I should be stretching before and after every run. Since I've been so careful in my mileage buildup, I'm thinking I could have avoided the injury if I had kept looser. Just something to think about! Larry, I'm glad you think highly of Blaine, also. I figure we'll give it a try and see how Logan likes him. Back to reinstalling software now! After my hard drive crash two weeks ago, it's been a nightmare getting everything up and running again. I'm fairly computer literate, but there has just been one issue after another! I've got help coming in the morning, thank goodness. Have a good evening!

Prince of Fatness

Lots going on here... On the 5K .... It's definitely a tough race. Give me a 10 miler or a half marathon any day. I don't consider myself fast. I remember in high school I was one of the slower people on the football team. Since I don't have much natural speed I focus on holding pace longer to bring my race times down. For me that means running more mileage. On the stretching .... Yeah, definitely a personal thing. From my experience and also what I have heard stretching a cold muscle does more harm than good. If you want to stretch before running you should either walk as Larry does or go for an easy jog for a few minutes first. Personally I don't stretch at all before I run. I just take it easy the first 10 - 15 minutes. I stretch after I run, and also like the foam roller for loosening the muscles. Cheffy ... Hill work is hard on the calf muscles. I think limiting the hill work should help you. On the heat .... My average training pace is getting slower now that the summer heat is here. I don't worry about it, and just focus on effort and let the pace fall where it wants. Things will rebound in the fall. Summer = hydrate and slow down.

Not at it at all. 

Thanks for Chiming Back in on my subjects MrPH..... I am with you on the whole stretching thing. I have a 3 mile run for today, and I am opting to go into the gym for it, as it's just too stiking humid out. Upon waking this morning, my calves were tight, so while laying in bed, I took a resistance band and did some gentle stretching of calves and hammies... got up and felt great. As a rule, I don't stretch before running, I use the first mile or so of the said training run at a slightly lower pace to get loosened up, and then relax into the run. I stretch gently after the run. I take a bath after I shower off the gunk, and foam roll my calves after the bath.... Seems to be the magic for me. I figure by fall/Winter I should be a hell of a runner Tongue As I am having to HTFU for every single run now with the gawd awful humidity. We had a huge thunderstorm here last night, and the air is un-breatheable right now... Hence taking my short run indoors. Plus the soft surface of the treadmill will be much appreciated by calves and company.... Smile

Well, I wasn't able to run more than a half mile last night. I guess the good thing is that this time the injury was bothering me and I stopped, last Monday (6/30) I ran three miles pain free and it was a sudden pull again. So I was saying to my wife last night, that I'm glad really glad right now that I had scrubbed my plans for running my first HM in Napa CA in July and instead had done the training early ang got it in already in early June. Then again, if the trip was scheduled we'd have to make it and would have had more time to visit the wineries. Cheffy, glad to see that you are doing some stretching. I'm confused though and had to go back and read your posts. In one thread you said it was your quads and the next you said it was your calves! As Teresa indicated, her PT really hammered home the stretching. Again, I believe it's everyone's personal choice. However if strectching is bothering you, perhaps you were over stretching or not performing the right stretching exercises appropriate to your needs. One of the biggest mistakes I see in people who stretch is that they bounce or perform fast stretching rather than slow and holding it. Just my .02 cents. Here is a link to some pretty good information on stretching. http://www.cmcrossroads.com/bradapp/docs/rec/stretching/stretching_toc.html Cheffy, also glad to hear that you have fun on every one now. As for my injury, it was due to overtraining. I did a long run on Sunday, skipped my day off on Monday and ran a pretty hard 5M and then ran hills (5.4M) on Tuesday. Pulled it as I crested the last hill with less than a half mile to go. So it's my own fault and I know it. Over confidence on my fitness level I guess. Teresa, I've had so many computer problems this year. My main computer hard drive crashed, my back-up had issues with a software problem in Explorer. I could connect to the internet but not send or recieve. I spent so many hours on the phone with my provider and Dell that it was ridiculous. So I decided to just buy a new Dell. That was fine up to a few weeks ago when we had a series of power outages and all of a sudden I'm having the same problem with my new Dell. My work laptop wireless isn't working either, so curently I'm using a computer from 4 computers ago which is extremely slow. I've got to find 4+ hours of free time to call Dell and try to resolve my issue and time to get my IT guys at work to look at my laptop. MRPH, I find as I've progressed over the past two years, that I'm liking the longer distances and an mazed at how well my paces have been. However, I do like the all out run of a 5K. Right now, I'm just really anxious to get back to being able to run. I'm trtying to keep myself focused and continue my stretching and floor exercises at home including light weights, sit-ups etc, but not using any of the heavy weight. Larry

LPH

Prince of Fatness

As for my injury, it was due to overtraining.
                              Same thing happened to me last year. I've noticed that I as I have gotten older it takes me longer to recover from high intensity runs. I just can't handle as much high intensity running anymore.

Not at it at all. 

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Hey, MrPH, I wanted to mention that what I disagreed with Willamona about on the "Easy Days" thread was just telling a person, "You can run 20 minutes straight if you go slowly enough." There is NO WAY I could have done that two years ago. I'm like the other poster - I was practically walking when I started out, and I couldn't even make it a quarter mile. I just don't want newbies to be discouraged if they can't run as far as Willamona says they should be able to. THAT is the good thing about C25K - you run only 90 seconds at the beginning. I remember thinking, "That's doable - I can stand pain for that length of time!" Even in C25K, I couldn't do it all - they have you jump from 8 minutes non-stop to 20 minutes, and I didn't have the fitness to do that. I went 8, 10, 12, etc., until I got to 20. Hope this makes sense.