Half Marathon Trainers

Half marathoners--July 2008 (Read 593 times)

Sorry to hear so many people seem to be having stretching/muscle pull problems, hope you get over this in a few days. I have taken off nearly a week, not really a good reason, just a few flimsy excuses. I did get out for 5kms at a good clip, legs felt like rubber for the last 3k, so I have a bit of ground to make up! Good runs to everyone, Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Prince of Fatness

Teresa .... I see where you are coming from. I hope you didn't think my post was directed at you, because it wasn't. You've made a bunch of progress with your running, and that's great. I was really just trying to make a couple of points based on my observations and experiences. I was speaking in general terms, not directed at any one post or person (other than agreeing with most of what willamona said). I liked what she said because she keeps it pretty simple. Maybe she should have said to go out for 20 minutes easy and take walk breaks as needed? I hope this makes sense, too. We're good as far as I'm concerned. Smile

Not at it at all. 

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Yep, MrPH, we're good! That's why I left this post on this board instead of the general forum, so it wouldn't seem like I was jumping on you! Yep, simplicity is good! I kind of reworked C25K, anyway, and ended up just increasing as I was able to. RA is great, because any new folks who spend more than a day here will hear, "GO SLOWLY!!!" and that's the key to success to keep running for a long time. The PT guy said my ankle looks graet - a textbook case for healing! I told him that we engineers tend to do things by the book, lol. He said I should keep running every other day until I hit 7 miles comfortably, and then I can add a SHORT run on a second day. For awhile, I should always take the third day off, though. He officially discharged me, so I'm on my own now. Of course, I'll continue to ice and stretch. Simon, I hope you can get back up to speed quickly! I don't think you'll have any problem. Time to pack for our trip tomorrow.
        Ringmaster

Hi, guys! Lots of good discussion on here the last couple of days! Teresa, I'm glad the PT thinks your ankle is looking good, and I hope you can stick to your training schedule and continue that good healing. Isn't it funny how much we prize these body parts that we don't think about when we're healthy? Crazy. Hot here. 80 degrees when I set out today, heat index of 84--before 6am. Still, tried to run some miles at my intended HM pace to start training the legs. It's tough to get going in those conditions, though. Like some of you, I go out real easy and try to stretch the legs out some after a mile or so, but I don't have a lengthy stretch routine. I thought it was really interesting that my ortho said he tends to see more people come in for injuries caused by over-stretching than not stretching at all. I think you're right--it's people who try to stretch cold muscles, probably. I hate the first three miles of most of my runs anyway, so nobody has to twist my arm to stop and stretch the knees when the Garmin beeps at me. Smile Thanks for reminding me not to obsess about my speed. As a recovering sprinter, it's hard for me not to focus on speed--my distances used to be the 100, 200, and the 4x100 relays. I tend to be pretty competitive, which is pretty ridiculous since I'm so new to this. I'm more likely to injure myself in the pursuit of speed than anything else. Silly silly. And the reality is that I love running the sake of it: I love that I can run 7 miles, or 13.1 if I want, that I can train for the distance and run it well. Ah, rookie runners. Thanks for your patience. Big grin

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
          Mile by Mile

Teresadfp

One day at a time

We're heading off to New York and Ontario tomorrow for a week-long vacation, so I won't be online during that time. Wanted to wish you all a great week, and thanks again for your advice and support. I will miss RA while we're gone! I won't be able to catch up on all the posts I miss, huh? Big grin Have some good runs for me, and I'll try to get some in during our trip.

Prince of Fatness

Yep, MrPH, we're good! That's why I left this post on this board instead of the general forum, so it wouldn't seem like I was jumping on you!
              I appreciate that but you could have posted over there if you wished. Most people in RA are pretty civil, and I quit taking things personally years ago. Enjoy your vacation by the way.

Not at it at all. 

Teresadfp

One day at a time

MrPH, you're more mature than I am! I TRY not to take things personally, but I still do. I agaree that most people on RA are civil, but I've been surprised by a couple! Now I REALLY have to finish packing and get the dog to the kennel! Have a good weekend!
                  Well good news everyone! I was able to run 2 miles last night without any pain in the leg. Although I felt fine, I opted to only to do two miles, because a week and a half ago it felt great until it suddenly went out around three miles. So I'll keep my runs short and slow for a little bit and then increase gradually. So I'm planning on 2 miles again tonight. Hope everyone has a great weekend and Teresa, we'll miss you but hope you have a great vacation. Larry

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Prince of Fatness

MrPH, you're more mature than I am!
                    This made my day! I'm sure that my wife would beg to differ.
                    Well good news everyone! I was able to run 2 miles last night without any pain in the leg. Although I felt fine, I opted to only to do two miles, because a week and a half ago it felt great until it suddenly went out around three miles. So I'll keep my runs short and slow for a little bit and then increase gradually. So I'm planning on 2 miles again tonight.
                    That is good news, and a good idea to ease back into it. Hope the good news continues.

Not at it at all. 

Good news, Larry, and you have plenty of time to fully regain your fitness before the fall race season. Enjoy your holiday, Teresa! Nissan 10 miler in Toronto this weekend but I have chosen not to enter, weather too hot! Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Hi Simon and everyone else. Ran another two miles yesterday with no pain or pull on the leg. I ran at home, so it even has some gentle hills in it. Planning on doing three miles today. Hope everyone is having a great weekend and of course that Teresa is having a fantastic vacation. Larry

LPH

Just wanted to check in with everyone, I finished my first official week of HM training on Sunday. Overall a good week, just under 27 miles total with a long run of just over 10 and some speed work. I hope things will continue as well for the next 11 weeks until my HM debut. Hope you can continue logging those miles Larry.
                            Hi Everybody~ This is a Step Back week for me, as I am traveling for work all week, and will not get all those runs in, unless I want to do them on a dreadmill..... I opt for resting... Wink Long run per our Step Back week schedule was 8 miles yesterday morning in absolutely GRUELING humidity. Even though my pace was good, It felt really challenging the whole time with dead legs. Never really found my groove, till the last mile when I realized it was almost over... lol. Another good sign for me that it's time to take a little break, and rest my legs a bit. I return on Saturday, and will do a quick 3 or 4 miles, followed by my long run Sunday of 11 miles.... Looking forward to the new PR for distance and the challenge. Finally sucked it up and bought a knee strap to help stabilize it a little. It's funny, It does not hurt when i run at all... just gets really tight after the run. I am required to stand on my feet for long hours all week this week, so I think the knee strap will help overall with that. All in all, still feeling pretty strong, and in really good spirits. Larry: Great news on the leg. It's so tough to only be able to run a small distance when your heart and spirit want to go so much further.... Glad you are being conservative. Happy Running and Have a Great Week~ Off to Kansas City for me.... Smile

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Thanks everybody for the well wishes. Ran 3.25 miles yesterday. Decided to do it on the track figuring it would give a little more relief rather than the pounding pavement. However, the track is all sunlight with no shade and at 4 in the afternoon, it was pretty hot. I found I was really tired, especially at the two mile marl, but I pushed on and even though my pace felt slower, the last 5 laps were actually faster by a few seconds, but overall I held a prety good pace the whole time, keeping myself to an easy 7:56 pace and the biggest difference in my lap was from the fastest to the slowest was only 11 seconds. Can't pace too much better than that. Will plan another 3.1 miles tonight and if that feels good, increase to 4 miles tomorrow night. Got to take it slow and easy as I don't want to reinjure it. I alo notice, that I had put on 6 lbs well I was laid up. I was actually hanging around 151 (goal is 150) and had actually hit 149 for a few days before my injury. Did notice this morning, that my weight was down to 154, so it's coming down and I'm not even working that hard yet. Well Cheffy, hope you have a good time in Kansas City. Instead of a strap under your knee, have you considered a full wrap arund the knee while you work and support the whole area? So let's see, Teresa is gone this week and now Cheffy. How is everyone else? Phillip, How did that 10 miles feel to you? You sound pretty excite about it.

LPH

Phillip, How did that 10 miles feel to you? You sound pretty excite about it.
                                The 10 miles felt good, this is the third time in the last month going at leats 10. I'm more worried about keeping up with the speed work, that's why I have covered 10 miles already with 11 weeks to go. I ran a 3 mile tempo last night at 8:14 pace which felt good, so I'm feeling good about my training thus far as long as I don't over do it. Did you get any more miles in Larry? mta: spelling