Half Marathon Trainers

Half marathoners--July 2008 (Read 593 times)

Hey Vixi~ You want to do strengthening exercises on your off running days.... If you have any access to the gym, there are lots of good machines to help with that, such as the Arc trainer that Teresa and I super mega heart.... Clowning around If not, just go online and do some searches, and you are sure to find some that will not aggrivate the knee too much. This is key! don't do anything that will make the knee hurt worse while doing it.... that is the tough part for sure! Also, get a knee strap, this will help get your knee cap back into proper tracking while running, and it won't injure it further. Teresa: Prednisone is an all purpose drug used for a multitude of things like auto immune disorders, arthritis and general inflamation. It is really a scary drug, but if given only once in a while perfectly harmless, just like good ole Vitamin " I"..... It was a lifesaver for me, it got me running again without pain. I think many Doc's won't give it for the above reason, but I suspect because they would rather keep getting your money via PT..... it's all a racket. Angry Post back after you talk to Blaine...... I am curious to see what he has to say.

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Prince of Fatness

Much going on here.
      The only thing that heals injuries is stronger muscles and tendons etc.... the only way we get there is through toughening them up by either smarter running, or specific exercises. At the gym last night, we spent some time with one of the Trainers who is a runner, and he said, " You know everyone is going to tell you to do quad strengthening exercises, and the only way to really get stronger quads is to keep running"
      I agree that there are some injuries you can run through. My hamstrings have been a little sore the last few weeks but I haven't stopped running. As a matter of fact they fell better when I run. I swear the problem comes from sitting at a desk all day. Most opinions I have read about hamstring problems say to keep running unless it's severe.
      Hey, I'm happy for the recommendation of the BenGay before running. I might try that. I wonder if I overstretched maybe before running?
      Before is the key word here. You don't want to stretch a cold muscle. I've cut out stretching before running and it has helped me. I just make sure I run the first 10-15 minutes slow. The BenGay works, or a walk, or whatever gets the muscle warm before you do any hard work.
      Okay, rookie question--again. For those of you who do gym work: I was told by my ortho I should do quad strengthening stuff too to help with the patellar tendinitis issue, but when? Do you do it on days off? On running days, immediately after the run? I know, this is so stupid, but I cannot seem to find a time to do it that it doesn't leave my legs weak for the run, so I'm hoping to hear how other runners do it. Am I just doing too much of it?
      This is a rookie answer, because I just started doing strengthening exercises for my hamstrings. I'm doing them on my off days.
      Glad to see that I'm not the only one that likes my cocktails when I'm relaxing. Then for meals, (as we have discussed Cheffy) it's wine time and the better the meal, the finer the wine. Of course if Cheffy was doing the cooking, it would have to be very fine wine Big griny
      Now for the fun topic. I pretty much stick to beer, especially in the summer. But the theme holds true, the better the meal, the finer the beer.

Not at it at all. 

It's possible that you overstretched, more so maybe because it was different than your normal routine. Also were you warming up before you did the stretching? As I've pointed out and Mr P has seconded, you shouldn't stretch cold muscles. I warm up with a half mile walk and then stretch. I repeat for my cool down. I'm trying to remember where I included a link to stretching information in the threads. If you didn't see it, then let me know and I'll include it tomorrow (it's saved on my work computer) I actually applied Ben Gay myself tonight before my warm-up walk. I used to live by the stuff, but now only occasionally use it. But it is relieving and then I iced after my run. Remember a basic rule, you apply Ice the first 24-48 hrs after an injury and then apply heat (in this case Ben gay), however continually applying Ice right after a work out is really good as it helps the swelling stay down and I find helps to cool off muscles.
        Walking Wounded . . . really! Hey, I'm happy for the recommendation of the BenGay before running. I might try that. I wonder if I overstretched maybe before running? After our conversation about stretching I was trying to be more conscious of my own habits and I wonder if that did it or if it had nothing to do w/ it and it's just an overtraining thing b/c I've increased my mileage of late.

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Oh, by the way, I'm in a great mood Big grin tonight. Got to warm up and stretch and chat with not one but two gals tonight and then went out and ran 6.5 miles. Furthest I've run in over a month and everything feels pretty good. Maybe I'm turning that corner to recovery.

LPH

Teresadfp

One day at a time

That's great news, Larry! Hopefully I'm right behind you. It's pouring right now, so I'm going to run on the Y treadmill in a little while - a mile at a time, stopping when I have to.
              Good Luck Teresa...... sending you good running vibes...... I ran my 4 on the TM at the gym last evening also.... set the pace to 12mm and I felt great. Foam rolled after and woke up this morning just fine. Wink

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Nice to see everyone has columns marching across the graph again! Ran a progression run last night, at first it wasn't intentional, but I kept picking up pace, so about 3 kms in I made a decision to go hard the rest of the way. Enjoyed the faster running, which I have not done in about 10 days or so. Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

That's great Simon. I looked at your pace it was 9:13 or something like that, did you record your actual mile paces to see the difference? Don't ever recall hearing the term progression run before, but it makes sense. God, it feels so good to feel almost healthy again and running. My legs felt so much better this morning than they have in weeks, they've gotten a really good stretch the past couple of nights. I'm still trying to hold back a bit. Teresa, Did you talk to Blaine? How did DS16 do the other night?
                  Ran a progression run last night, at first it wasn't intentional, but I kept picking up pace, so about 3 kms in I made a decision to go hard the rest of the way. Enjoyed the faster running, which I have not done in about 10 days or so. Simon.

LPH

Ringmaster

LOL I was wondering about Teresa's son too. I have a lot of respect for Blaine. Larry, glad to hear you had a good run, especially with some friendly motivation. Big grin Nice to see a 6.5 mile bar again, huh? Hope that leg continues to heal well. Cheffy and MrPh, I'll remember what you said about strengthening the legs. I definitely don't want to aggravate the knee! I ran some with a knee brace to help the knee track better. I don't seem to need that anymore but I know I should keep strengthening the legs. Thanks for all the advice. Actually, I'd been stopping about 1 or 1.5 mi into the run to stretch, trying really hard to remember "no bouncing!" Still, it was different from my normal routine. Last nite DH and I went out for 2.5 with the kids in the double stroller. It's a different workout with that beast, I'll tell ya. Fortunately it helps keep your pace in check and it's a bit of an upper body workout. I worried that I maybe shouldn't have done it, even though I want to encourage DH in his running, so I iced when I got home and prayed fervently. Today I did what I used to do before I became such a lunatic with the tendency to go out hard all the time and just walked before I went running. Leg felt great. Not only did it not hurt, I didn't even feel it. Which is how it's supposed to feel, right? I did the BenGay before I set out, and I iced it when I got home, even though it didn't hurt. I also kept the pace we kept when my DH and I ran together with that beast of a stroller, at least for most of the run, which is more of what my easy pace is supposed to be. One of these days I'll learn that lesson. Rest day tomorrow. Saturday is a scheduled long run, but I think I'll run another easy 6 or so. Friend's inviting me to run a 5k with her that I think I'll just cheer her on. I want to set a new 5k PR but not at the cost of my HM PR.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                    Mile by Mile

Larry, I think in Kilometers, but I think my pace averaged just over 8 minutes per mile. Splits in kilometers: 5:44 5:23 5:13 5:02 4:40 4:36 5:00 (had to stop to catch my breath!) 4:47 The idea is to start slowly enough to warm up, then progressively increase your pace. it helps with estimating pace, and learning to run hard when you are already tired. No more lunatic running, Vixi! Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Ringmaster

Simon, a kilometer is .6 of a mile, isn't it? So after a 4:36 kilometer it's no wonder you were exhausted! What a great run! Thanks for posting those splits. D'you see that article in RunningTimes about how that's how exactly how the Ethiopian elites run their intervals? It was really interesting. Yes, no more lunatic running for me . . . More walking first, and no more going all-out all the time.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                        Mile by Mile

Simon, Thanks. Actually, I run like that often, where I start out at an 8:00 min pace (per mile), gradually increase it over the 5-6.5 mile run and will often finish 7:20 give or take some. Last night I was taking it a little easy still and only ran around a 7:40 last mile (of a 6.5). It's probably why I've had a couple of really fast last miles this year in races (PR for any mile) PS - I run my track work like this to, starting around an 8:00 pace for a half mile and usually do four sets increasing to less than 3:20, then finish with an easy 4:00 half (with a walking rest between each half mile Vixi, This is really good news hearing that you ran without pain as well, but trying to be like me and not do too much too fast and taking precautions. Keep it up. I'll definitely be in Miami in March next year, somewhere around the 20th and if my schedule allows and there are any races, I'd still like to run a race. I'll get the exact dates and let you know, maybe you can keep an eye out for me for races.

LPH

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Thanks for asking about DS and Blaine! It was raining, so DS was happy. It meant that I stayed in the car, though, until the 5K race actually started. Then I stood at the finish line to watch people finish. My son is so funny - ahead of time, he KNEW he wouldn't be "racing," because that wasn't in his summer plan. He and Blaine ended up running fast intervals together for a little while, then took it easy before running fast the last 0.1 mile. So his time was 18:35, not surprisingly, but he was bummed out! I guess it dawned on him that the time would show up in the newspaper today, and the other kids might think he wasn't on his game. Blaine told me that Logan is doing well, and following his HS coach's instructions, so he doesn't think there's any need for extra coacing. He is willing to run with Logan every Tuesday and/or Wednesday night, though, so that should be helpful. We didn't talk about my ankle because of the rain and the late hour. My 5 miles on the Y treadmill today felt OK today - the ankle is a little bit irritated, but not painful. One day at a time!
                              Teresa, Your son learned a lesson that most of us should learn and accept, it's okay sometimes to run slower even in a race. I for one can't do it. so if at 16 he can, he is a better man than me. A look at my log, you'll see that even my easy/slow run is 8 minutes or less, I just can't run slower and even if I am, I find that the last 1- 1 1/2 miles, I'll pick it up, just because I can't stand to run at more than 8 min pace. It violates everything I've read and heard about running, but it's the way I am and the way I find most runners, must be the competitive edge in us. My leg is feeling great, but still taking it one day at a time, but ppicking it up more and more each day. The key is, it feels great and no pain. So if you've got pain, you need to be the judge and jury on what to do. LPH

LPH

Ok, I'M BACK! I've not posted here much lately but I have been reading. I started my training program for my 15th half marathon today. Big grin Nov. 23rd the Cleveland West Road Runners Club Half. Cheffy, Vixi & Teresa are all like running veterans now. Cool MrPH, Simon & Larry it's always a pleasure to read your posts.

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.