Half Marathon Trainers

Half marathoners--July 2008 (Read 593 times)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I'm a veteran now? Wow! Blush I was in Boston overnight for a two-day church women's Christian conference. I shared a room with two friends at the Boston Radisson. I was very proud of myself this morning - after being up late last night, I got up at 5:15 am, ran 4.1 miles on the hotel treadmill (very creaky), and got myself beautified in time for the morning's activitives. Whew! I guess I am addicted! I'll tell you - seeing all the overweight women yesterday at the conference was enough motivation for me. What's going on?? The women who WEREN'T overweight really stood out, because there weren't that many of them. Young, old, whatever. It's making me very sad. I was in the overweight category 15 months ago, so I understand the problem, but I didn't realize how serious it is. I have to bite my tongue not to shout, "START RUNNING FOR YOUR LIFE! NOW!" Sigh.
      Welcome back Sarge. How have you been? Of course you also meant that ist's also a pleasure to read the gals post here as well. Tongue
      Ok, I'M BACK! I've not posted here much lately but I have been reading. I started my training program for my 15th half marathon today. Big grin Nov. 23rd the Cleveland West Road Runners Club Half. Cheffy, Vixi & Teresa are all like running veterans now. Cool MrPH, Simon & Larry it's always a pleasure to read your posts.

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Teresa, did you get out to see any of Boston? I haven't been out and about in Boston now in probably 6-7 years, it's a city that is fun to visit and lots to do. I've been to Boston in the last 6-7 years, but like you was there for conventions or training and didn't really get out and enjoy it. We keep talking of going so that we can go to Church in Gluoster where our Ex priest moved to. On to the other subject. My sediments exactly, but let's not also forget the men. I mean not everyone can be thin and some people are just born stocky, but there is definitely a difference between being stocky and overweight and and then there is a difference between being overweight and fat. Let's face it, look around and see all of the people out there that fit into these categories. It's not just lack of exercise, it's their eating habits as well. Most OW/Fat people could begin loosing weight if they as much as changed their diets. I don't know the exact amount, but it's something like Billions of dollars spent every year on weight loose products. What does it say with each one, "With moderate Exercise" Well forget the products, control diet and get a little bit of exercise and they'd loose weight. Okay, please don't think poorly of me for what I'm about to say next. I'm very envious of those of you who have spouses that exercise as well. My wife is very over weight and does nothing, absolutely nothing to try and loose it. Her eating habits are really poor and these also effect me because sometimes (like last night) when that bag of chips come out, I can't help having a couple and then a couple becomes alot. I've got a stationary bike set up in our TV room (where she is a couch potatoe) and she won't even try it. She's 5' 5" tall and weights at least 200 lbs and she thinks I'm suppose to find her atttractive as she parades around in a short nighty. Okay, so I said it, probably should have kept it to myself, but your thoughts provoked mine. Don't get me wrong, I love my wife, she's a great friend and always supportive of me and encourages my running. But bottom line, finding her attractive is out of the question. Larry quote pid="bc68fd04af4f4ceabc89b5a3c018fd5d">I'm a veteran now? Wow! Blush I'll tell you - seeing all the overweight women yesterday at the conference was enough motivation for me. What's going on?? The women who WEREN'T overweight really stood out, because there weren't that many of them. Young, old, whatever. It's making me very sad. I was in the overweight category 15 months ago, so I understand the problem, but I didn't realize how serious it is. I have to bite my tongue not to shout, "START RUNNING FOR YOUR LIFE! NOW!" Sigh.

LPH

Good Sunday Everyone, 5 easy paced miles (for me) but I had to push & drag DW because she has a hard time with humidity (96%) today. Teresa up at 5:15 to run on a hotel treadmill Cool You are tryly a running veteran! Smile Larry I like to read everyone's posts. It amazes me how many people in their early 70's can barely walk around because of weight & joint problems.

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Hi Everyone.... Got up LATE, Darned DH slept us through the alarm.... did not get out there for my LSD run until 8:00am with the humidity at 98%...... UGGGHHHHHH ...... I was a sweaty, gross mess at the end of it, but managed to HTFU to 8.5 miles at an 11:23 pace. Body wise I was okay, probably should have hydrated a little more, but did okay.... the humidity is killing me. It is a slow and miserable crawl to the end of the run.... You know you have had it when your form begins to fall apart, and you find yourself slogging. Oh well, after a nice shower, I shall become human again! Smile Knee/Quad are good. I think this is merely a case of the muscles of the lower quad building with the slightly hilly long run course I do, and in a matter of time, this will resolve, as long as I am carefull with pace, and mileage building. Larry: You are human, and this is a common thing in alot of marriages. I am not offended by anything you said, in fact, I feel for you. It's tough when someone watches you being fit and healthy, and they don't share your passion. Teresa: Glad you are back, and YES it is amazing how motivated you can be to see others. I travel a fair amount, and It's funny when I get off those Horrible Deadmills in the hotels at 6:00am, and go to the Continental Breakfast bar, there are all the Hefty's looking at my dripping body like I have snakes crawling out of my ears.... By the time I grab a cup of coffee, a yogurt, and some oatmeal, they have been around it twice, eating all the danish and pastry... Confused Sarge: So nice to see you posting again. Between MrPH and you, my " Coaching Staff" is present. Hopefully you will be there to keep inspiring and encouraging me to get to the starting line healthy, and ready to enjoy a milestone in my life. Happy Running All, Make it a good week, and Stay Cool and Healthy! Cheffy Wink

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Hey Cheffy, Glad to here the knee is feeling good. Did you give DH a good thrashing for sleeping late? (kidding of course) Glad to hear though that you perserveered and got it in any way. Well, I looged over 25 miles this week. I haven't run that much in at least four weeks. I did a rather tough loop today from home today, running it twice. There are no major hills, just rather long ones avg 1/4 to probably close to a half. Really thought of quitting after one loop, but was able to gut it out and finish. I'm glad you weren't offended by my comments. I'm usually one that beleives if I have nothing good to say, say nothing, but as you can tell it hit a nerve with me and I expressed my thoughts which I probbably should have kept to myself. Well have a good night everyone and have a great week. Larry

LPH

Just to chime in on the weight discussion- some people have medical problems with metabolic rate or whatever that make it nearly impossible to get slim, but I really think the majority of overweight people simply won't make a choice to do something about it, then follow through. A friend of mine at work is like this. My wife and I have known her and her husband for 30 years, she used to be athletic, a competitive swimmer, but now is always trying diets she reads about on the internet, then backsliding a few days later. She is annoyed that I weigh less than she does, and I have to bite my tongue to avoid saying "It's your choice!" She is always eating fries at work, and deserts. One of my co-workers was asked by a customer the other day if I had been ill, (he thought I had cancer!), people are just not used to seeing slim adults. It is so far from the norm that people are shocked. I do admire those who have the self discipline to lose weight in a sensible way and stay slim afterwards; my son is one of them and really was responsible for getting me into running. Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Hey Simon, people have asked the same thing about me. I'm thin to begin with and they can't figure out why I want to loose weight or why I'm so conscious about it. The biggest problem is that any weight I do put on is all in the gut and chest. A year ago, I was still wearing a size 33/34 pant. Now anything new is a size 30. Yes, there are some people with medical conditions that can't loose weight and or exercise to help with weight lose. But as you, Teresa and Cheffy all said, most of them have a problem passing up food and it's unhealthy food at that. Funny about your friend who used to be athletic, so was my wife. She was honored in High School as most Athletic Female in her class. Her freshman year in college she was on the starting varisty Volleyball team. Then she quit and has never really done anything athletic since unless you call watching sports as Athletic. My youngest son was my inspriation for running as well. However my motivation at that time wasn't so much to loose weight, but just to be able to run and show my kid that I could do it. I surprised him by running in a 5K with him when he didn't even know I had been running to get ready for it. I didn't get into the whole weight lose thing until I hit 175 last year (okay, 174). It's also when I stepped up my running and my intensity. Now I step on the scale just about everyday and I'm complaining that I put on like 5 lbs being dissabled and having a hard time getting back down to where I was before my injury which was right at/around my target weight of 150. So if people want to call me skinny, that's there choice, for me, it's my choice to be as thin as possible and as healthy as possible. Larry

LPH

Prince of Fatness

I think losing weight for most (not all) people is just a matter of getting out of bad habits. It's all about choices we make. At least that's the way it is for me. I've fallen off of the diet wagon the last couple of weeks and need to get back on the sticks. All of these picnics are a killing me. Ran a 5K over the weekend and knocked 6 seconds off of my masters PR. I posted a brief report in the Racing forum. Good runs all.

Not at it at all. 

I read your RR, Mr.PH, NICE RUN! That is some real speed. I will probably do my first 5k mid August, at a local Carrot Festival, (i live near a big vegetable farming area), but i will be happy to get close to 23 minutes. I don't think it is chip timed, quite a low key affair.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

MRPinhnj, I also read you log andam veryimpressed with your speed. Also in looking at your log, I don't see anyspeed work, tempo runs etc, so how do you do it?

LPH

Prince of Fatness

Thanks guys. Larry ... I've cut out the speed work the last month or so because of soreness in my hamstrings. They are improving slowly. I think the strengthening exercises I started doing are helping. If you go back in March / April in my log you'll see some tempos. That's all I do for speed work. I probably could probably bring my 5K time down further if I did some work specific to that distance. To answer the "How do you do it" question, I think it's a carryover from the speed work and racing I had done in the spring, along with the fact that although I have cut out the speed work, I haven't cut back on mileage.

Not at it at all. 

Well, we're at the end of another month, whose going to be the first to create the new thread for August? After tomorrow, I'll be offline for a week as we're leaving for vacation on Saturday morning heading to the wonderful beaches of Rhode Island. We'll have the grand kids all week, all of our kids and their spouses/girlfriend will be there Sat through Monday and Wednesday my 85 year old mom and one of my sisters will join us as well. It's a lot of activity, but we enjoy it. My leg continues to get better and better, still get some pains once in awhile while sitting and walking etc, but running hasn't bothered me, but I still haven't tested it by any hard running, speed work or hills. I'll give it a bit of a workout next week and see if it's going to carry me through a 5M on the 10th. Hope everyone else is continuing to get better as well. Larry

LPH

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Have a great vacation, Larry! Picked up my Beach to Beacon 10K race packet tonight - it was fun being part of the excitement! I still feel like an imposter, among all those "real" runners, lol.
                                You're a real runner and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I mean what makes any of us runners? Speed, distance, win races? no, it's getting out there and putting one foot in front of the other and doing it day after day after day. Hot weather, cold, rain, whatever. We do it through pain and injuries, but we keep doing it and we love it, it's part of us. That's what makes any of us runners. Be proud and know that you worked for and earned the right to be called a runner. Larry
                                Have a great vacation, Larry! Picked up my Beach to Beacon 10K race packet tonight - it was fun being part of the excitement! I still feel like an imposter, among all those "real" runners, lol.

LPH