Half Marathon Trainers

Do you want my Seacoast Helf (Portsmouth NH) entry? (Read 754 times)

an amazing likeness

If anyone is interested in my Seacoast Half Marathon (Portsmouth NH, next Sunda 11/8) -- let me know and I will try to get it transferred to you. No charge or anything.

I was hit by a car while running last Sunday and have been in hospital for 8 days, so will not be running this race, or anything else soon.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Prince of Fatness

Oh no.  I was wondering what you were up to because you hadn't posted in a while.  Damn, I was looking forward to meeting you.  More importantly, are you OK?

Not at it at all. 

an amazing likeness

On Sunday Oct 18th at about 11:40 in the morning, I finished the Bay State Marathon. I had a good training cycle leading into the race and was in the best running condition of my life.  Training base worked beautifully for 24 miles before the weather won for the last 2.2 miles.

One week later, on Sunday Oct 25th at 11:52 in the morning, while on my first longer run since Bay State I was hit from the side by a car going 35 - 40 mph breaking my arm, shoulder (surgery), vertabrae in my neck and lower back, tearing up right knee (future surgery) covering me road rash and leading to a week in hospital.

What a difference a week makes.

I'm home now and don't know when I will run again. Victory now is measured in small steps, literally, from the bed to the kitchen.  I'm in for a long recovery and the 2000 mile pace bunny will beat me this year.

I was eagerly looking forward to Seacoast, wanted to really  fling it out there for a new 1/2 PR and get a qualifying time for next May's Indy Mini seeded corals.

Prince of Fatness

Wow.  I know you have a tough road ahead of you but I am glad you made it out of there alive.  I am sure there is very little that I can say to make you feel better but please know that I wish you all the best with your recovery.  I will definitely be thinking about you when I am racing Sunday.

Not at it at all. 

redleaf

oh my goodness Andy! Again, thank goodness you're alive! {{hugs}} and healing vibes.

Was there an investigation into the accident? What caused it etc?

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

DirtyGraceFlint

The Crap Whisperer

Holy Crap! That is so scary! I'm glad you are out of the hospital and are on the mend...but wow...I can't believe that happened. I'm so sorry...

Did the person stop???

Being the best tiny spec that I can be!

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

omg that is terrible. As an early morning, pre-sun up runner during the week this scares the crap out of me. I only run in daylight during races and Sunday long runs. We'll be pulling for rapid healing.

bob e v
                2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Holy Crap man, Really sorry to hear it.  We all know it's a risk, but the percentages say it's safe then we hear someone get clocked and it makes it all a reality.

I hope you have a great recovery, but it soubnds like it'll be awhile.

So was the person ticketed or anything?

Larry

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I replied in another thread, but just wanted to say I still can't believe it!  Andy lives only a couple of miles from me.  It's scary to think there are drivers like that in this area, but I guess they're everywhere.

lazy distance runner

wow glad to hear your ok..i've been hit before (on a bike) but nothing like that. hope you heal up quickly.

an amazing likeness

Thank you all for your kind thoughts.  Typing isn't all that easy yet, so excuse my brevity...

After reading the police accident report, I am reminded that I'm lucky to have not split my head open or worse -- I'll be at least a year getting back to "normal"  -- but many things could have gone worse. For example, the hit threw me over the car and 70 feet down the road, but the car took 120 feet to stop and going over it means it didn't run me over.  It could have been fatal.

Here's some odd tidbits in response to some of the questions:

- the driver did stop, and some other folks did some real herioc on-scene help to keep my from drowning in my own blood and from trying to roll over, off my arm which would have been a bad move with my broken neck.

- The hit was hard enough to knock a shoe off and it was only found after someone searched for it.  Also there's a perfect circle cut on my finger where my wedding band was, but the wedding band is gone.

- My Garmin was confiscated for evidence, and as a biohazard.

It was a clear day, good site lines, so the question has to also include why did I run in front of the car, in addition to why did he not see me. 

I'm working through how much of my story to post here on RA without getting all dramatic -- its interesting real-world example of something we (and all our spouses) worry about.  I did post more over in the Maine runner section originally since I know some of those folks I-R-L, but haven't done anything out in the main forums.

I'll answer any questions -- but my main point here was to see if anyone wanted to run Seacoast.

Hi Andy:

I'm not even a member of this group but joined so I could post a message to you to let you know how terribly sorry I am that this horrible accident happened to you.  You are right, this probably represents the "worst case worry" that most of us have about road running and sharing the way with cars.  I'm sending healing thoughts your way and praying for a speedier than forecast recovery for you.  Please take care.

dari

mta grammar, I'm sick and can't think.

A Saucy Wench

Andy, I am so sorry to hear of your accident.  Best wishes for a complete and speedier than expected recovery

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Misinformation Officer

Holy moly.  Very glad you are alive to tell the tale.  I am going to search for your full story so that I can hopefully learn something.

Dear Andy,

I read our news while lurking in the Maine runners forum. I'm very thankful you survived the hit and are on the road to recovery.

A

(fomerly of Belfast, ME now in Canada)

Recalculating...