Half Marathon Trainers

Half Marathoners August 2008 (Read 585 times)

Lots of good news this week - congrats Larry on the zippy race and Teresa with your healing ankle- it is great when the doctors and nurses compliment you. Actually this week DH is getting most of the compliments as he has lost 24 lbs with his weight training/ cardio program. Yeah team! I've plateau ed with 5 more to lose and I'm going to try this out - after HM in October. I had a great run in the rain last night (I'm a total weather wimp) it was fun to turn off the music and listen to the shh shh of the rain hitting the streets - and there was a spooky steam rising up from the ground. I'm in a cut back week so I'll give stats after my not so long run tomorrow. Cheffy - good luck with the massage, I think it will do wonders. I may go for an after dinner walk and stretch to prep for tomorrow morning. A

Recalculating...

Quick race report for the first 5k I have run. This is a small local race about 150 runners, nice inexpensive entry fee, $25, shirt but no medal, which is fine with me! Good weather conditions, flat course on local streets, a rectangle with an extension one end, start and finish at the same place, clock timed, no chips (also no pretzels or beer!) My son was also in the race but not feeling well and did not have fresh legs as he ran yesterday. I was hoping to stay close to him, but actually passed him and led him over the line by about 20 metres. (We were racing, not running together.) I also hoped to beat a family friend, a lady who ran Boston this year in 3:55, so is a strong runner at the longer distances. I felt my height and strength would beat her aerobic fitness in a shorter race, which proved to be true. (I should explain I get a real competitive streak as soon as the race starts, not like my usual personality at all.) Started behind my son and a tall guy who is an experienced runner of many years, same age as me, and I expected would run about my pace. I could not read my Garmin as it was sunny so I wore sunglasses instead of prescription lenses, so I went by breathing and feel, gradually falling about 40 yards behind my son and the tall runner. After about 2k I passed the woman marathoner, and started gaining on my son and the tall guy. All around me I could hear people panting much too hard for that stage in the race, and knew they could not sustain the pace they were running. Gradually moved up picking off individuals and groups, caught my son, asked if he was ok, which he said he was, then slowly increased my pace over the last kilometer. Unofficial time about 23:17, very satisfied with the result. Kilometer splits: 1) 4:39 2)4:50 3) 4:28 4) 4:49 5) 4:23 Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

UPDATE About my Sports Massage: THE BEST MONEY I HAVE EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER DID I SAY EVER? SPENT! My girl is an Ironman Tri-athlete herself..... Like hitting the lottery.... she knew every bad spot to focus on, as she has experienced everyting that I am feeling. Pain: Yes, but NOTHING compared to the pain of fatigued legs that don't want to move when they are sore... I have had this " thing" in my shoulder, that she put hot stones on to warm and dug right in and worked a knot the size of a ping pong ball out of..... My shoulder hasn't felt this good in months. She said I hold tension there when I run, and gave me some great stretches for it. When she got on my shins ....... SHIT that hurt.... It never hurt so good though. She broke up all kinds of adhesions, and we scheduled another in about 3 weeks, followed by another shorter less invasive one right before my half to make sure everything is loose so that I have a good race. She even found some old injuries from several years ago in my peroneus longus muscles.... worked the kinks out there too. For what you pay for gear, shoes, and shit..... do yourself a favor and go get a massage from a girl like mine.... they are worth every penny. My calves are singing to me right now, rather than crying and begging for mercy.... AHHHHH

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

this week's recap - cross posted in the low heat rate group. this was a cut back week for me. the weather is typically the same every day- 60s 95-100% humidity today: 63º, 61º dewpoint 7am - my plan was to run 6 out of 8 miles at HM race pace 11:00m/m with HR around 156. HR was higher than I would like at the end, but I didn't feel terrible or even like I was racing, just running hard - comments? warm up 13:33 134 13:19 143 there are hills in the next 3 miles so I slowed down to 13-14:00 uphill 11:28 156 11:26 162 11:42 162 11:09 160 11:08 165 10:50 169 fri: rest, no stretch class thurs: 3.8 miles 47:25 (12:27) - in the pouring rain wed: 4.0 miles +/- 47:00 - my plan was to run 5K at tempo, but all electronic devices died due to my bad aura. I kinda ran fast down my street, about 1 1/2m but the rest felt like standard pace. tues: hung out at the YMCA 40 minutes on elliptical and bike mon: rest sun: 4.0 miles 49:06 (12:17) a shocker after longest run of the season 12 miles the day before next week, back to a mid 30 mile week, with a long run maybe 3 hrs (13-14 miles) A

Recalculating...

Teresa, that's great news on your check-up. Mine is in three weeks. Cheffy, your massage sounded jut wonderful. As for dead legs, took last night off and ran an easy 2 miles today in preparation of 5K tomorrow and my legs felt absolutely terrible. Tok a nice long bath tonight with some Epsom salts and bath beads and they feel much better today. Tomorrow is the anniversary race of my very first race 5 years ago and has been my target 5K race for the year to run sub 7:00 pace. Not sure if I have it in me tomorrow or not, but I'm going to give it a good try. Simon, great race, your times threw me off at first, until I realized they were 1K times. My log is a few days behind, I just haven't had time to be at the computer and enter stuff. Anyone watch the women's marathon tonight. God, I'm impressed, really impressed with the winner and all of them. You could just tell that the Great Britain runner had some type of injury, but she wasn't going to quit again like she did the last Olympics. Take care everyone. Larry PS - Tresa, I know what Blaine is going to say, because we had this discussion with him before, he beleives in the miles DS is putting in.

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

(Modified to enter offical results and placements) I did it. Despite getting off to a rocky pre-race prep. I got all the way to the race location and realized that I left my wallet and everything at home. I was on time for at least an hour before race time, so I flew home (normally a 20 minute drive each way) and back in about 30 minutes. So by the time I registered and got my chip, it was cutting into my routine. So I skipped my pre-strech walk and stretched a littel bit, then ran a little bit. Then stood in line for potty, then stretched some more then went ot the finish line with a good 5 minutes to spare. However, they were running late and we started the race 10 minutes late, but I was already holding my spot inthe start area so stood in the hot sun with most of the runners and waited. Went out really fast, running a 6:32 M. I knew this was a little fast and the hills were coming for mile two, so I curber it back a little bit and ran a dissapointing 7:28 M2. I really thought that I had blown my chances to break that 7:00 Min pace. So I dug in and pushed, I got tired, and slowed a few steps, then pushed again, got tired with about 600 meters to go and was going to settle for just coasting in and give up, but something inside said go for it. So I picke dit up a little bit and then about 400 Meters, I picked it up more and at about 200 meters out I gave it everything I had left. Passed about 4 people and finished in 21:24 6:55 pace, running the last 1.1M in 7:26/6:46 pace. So doubting Thomas pulled it off, I really didn't think I was going to have it in me for this race, and with the way the day started off, I wasn't mentally in the right place either. What was great, was that a guy I followed most of the race and i know, I passed him with about 3/4M to go. This guy is usually not even in my view (he starts really fast) He told me afterwards, that I had pulled away form him, but he wheeled me in and was planning on passing me, until I kicked in the last 200M and just left him in the dust. I don't have all of the offical results yet, but it's got me list as 53rd out of (432) and 6/33 from my age group. So I am happy, happy, happy. Now I have no planned short races and can cocentrate on mileage for my HM Sept 28th. Hope everyone is having as wonderful of a day as I am. Larry

LPH

Prince of Fatness

Nice race Simon. Cheffy, that massage sounds great. I might have to get me one of them. Larry, good luck with the race. Ayola, I'm not a HR guy but I am pretty sure heat and humidity can be a factor. 4 mile race went pretty well yesterday. Report is here.

Not at it at all. 

For some reason, my post posted twice, so I deleted this one

LPH

Prince of Fatness

Wow. Nice race Larry. Way to dig at the end.

Not at it at all. 

Hi Everyone! Larry, You are AMAZING.... What a great race, and for what you have been through as part of the walking wounded team, WAY TO HTFU...... Get some rest now Mr Speedy! I am in a Cut Back Week. I did something a little different this week, by starting my long run with a 2 mile brisk walk, per the recommendation of my Massage Therapist, and Man o Man what a HUGE difference. For the first time in weeks, I did not have to stop at 1 mile in agony and walk to stretch everything. I did a nice 7 mile long run, ( although my pace should have been slower, but I was feeling so good ) and did leg drains Immediately after and I can definitely tell the difference in my legs from just one week ago. Sure it was tough, but Tough is one thing, PAINFULL is another. I don't expect running to be pain free, either mentally or physically, but when you have had great runs like I have had, you definitely know when something just ain't right. My new stability shoes are on order, so I ran in my Moderate Stability shoes with an otc orthotic ( powerstep blues) in them, and noticed that between the micro ahesions being massaged out, and an orthotic, my lower legs felt remarkably better, and for a change I could feel my quads doing the work. I think the fact that my arch was flattening out too much from not enough support was the root cause of all the muscle fatigue in my calves and lower leg muscles. FWIW, I would totally recommmend sports Massage for all of us that are training seriously for something. Especially from one that Runs, they really seem to get what we are about, and how to treat. I am traveling to the great Midwest next week for work, so I will manage one run of 3-4 miles on the quality dreadmill at the hotel, and run a short very easy 3 on Saturday upon return home. My long next Sunday is going to hopefully be 11-12 depending on how I am feeling. Good Runs to All, and Have a Great Week! Smile

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Thanks MRPHinNJ and Cheffy. With almost a month off, I really didn't think think i was going to get to my goal. Cheffy, I have touted walking before running often. My routine is that I walk a brisj half mile (minimum) before stretching and then run and then do the same thing after my run. I hope you have found a majoe break through to help you out. It is so great to hear you say you fel great and don't have the pain. I am going to keep the massage therapist thing in my head as well. Maybe I should consider getting it a week or so before my HM! Travel safe and be safe my friend. Larry

LPH

great race reports Larry and MrPH! Good notes for racing 5 miles. If nothing else comes up I think I'll run the Bangor 5 miler on Labor Day. Last year this was a surprise best race (9:52 pace I'm a turtle remember) including a monster 1 mile hill where I definitely did some walking. I made a friend after the hill and she kept me on a (9m/m) pace to squeak under 50 minutes. I've moved my scheduled long run 10miles to the friday before - should I take saturday and sunday off? I'm wondering if that's enough rest time before a monday race. A

Recalculating...

Prince of Fatness

Thanks, ayola.
                            I've moved my scheduled long run 10miles to the friday before - should I take saturday and sunday off? I'm wondering if that's enough rest time before a monday race.
                            I don't like taking two days off before a race. My suggestion would be to go for a nice easy run Sunday, maybe 30-40 minutes. I think you have enough base to do that without tiring yourself out for the race. Before my race Saturday I went out for 45 minutes or so Friday afternoon and it wasn't a problem. Good luck Monday.

Not at it at all. 

Wow. Larry! Spectacular race, I am really impressed by that performance... Cheffy, glad you have found the solution to the tight calves; i can't help thinking all the standing you do is part of the problem, not just the running. I had sore quads yesterday after my 5k, skipped my long run. Found out the tall guy in my race was running a 15k the same night, better him than me! Ayola, i took 2 days of before my 5k, I like to have fresh legs, not sure what is best, though. simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

There are a lot of varied opinions as to time off prior to a race. I myself like to take the day two days before off and then an easy short run the day before. My concern with you would be doing a long run three days before. I see your normal running routine is a long run and then a short run, followed by a rest day. How do you feel: 1. On short short run? 2. On your rest day? 3. On your run the day after you rest day? I'm concerned that you won't have time to recuperate after your long run. If you were/are a conditioned seasoned runner, then no problem, but you might want to seriously look at cutting back your long run that week and adjust your schedule to taper prior to the race. Larry
                                great race reports Larry and MrPH! I've moved my scheduled long run 10miles to the friday before - should I take saturday and sunday off? I'm wondering if that's enough rest time before a monday race. A

LPH