Half Marathon Trainers

Half Marathoners August 2008 (Read 585 times)

Wow Vixi, Is this good news, or do you think of it as disappointing? I am not sure How I would feel about it. I know that I certainly could not afford $400 orthotics at this point. Perhaps if I had not already spent that on all the different crap to try to fix my issues in the first place! Evil grin Good luck, whatever you decide to do.... I went into a higher grade stability shoe, as you all know, and I have completed some runs in them, and the news if good so far. The lower leg cramping and calves knotting up seem to have eased up quite a bit. I am not sure if it's the shoes alone, or if it's that with the combination of my massage, and shoes. Wow, I am so tired, and it's just the beginning! What was supposed to be a long run yesterday, got logged as 9 miles of hills. We ran on our HM course, and all I can say is OMG. This HM is going to be a " finisher" to the best of my ability with the training I have had, and my issues that cropped up. I will get DH to post an elavation profile of it for me here, so you all can see what I mean. It is grueling. 9 miles of huge hills. Considering how the quality of my running had been, I am surprised I did as well as I did. My quads are very sore today.... but my lower legs are great....?? I was away all last week for work, and on my feet for 10 hours a day everyday, and when I returned home Saturday early afternoon, I took a nap, and Hub and I went out for an easy 3 in 87 degrees. nothing says welcome home like a run in blistering heat on an asphalt track. Surprised I am headed to the gym this evening for some light extra cardio, and a yoga class. I am looking forward to the quality stretching. Will post that elavation chart as soon as I can get Hub to get it off of the Garmie. Happy Running, and Simon, I LOVE THE SHIRT. Smile

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Wow, Cheffy, you picked a hard first HM! Ours is supposed to be a little hillly, but I'm afraid to investigate it! My running partner and I are doing a LOT of hills now, though. We ran 5.5 miles on our local XC course, which is supposed to be one of the hardest HS trails in New England. I believe it!! We had to run/walk it, it was so challenging. My ankle is about the same - bearable as long as I skip a day in between every run. I'm going to try 9.4 miles later this week and see what happens.

Prince of Fatness

OK, I picked my fall goal race. I really don't have the time or money to travel this fall, so I need a race that's cheap and local. No half marathons fit that bill, but there is a 10 miler that does. I ran it last year and had a good time. It's 20 bucks and about a half hour drive. Because it's in early November I'll have plenty of time to get ready. It will also allow me to sneak a 5K or two in. It's advertised as having only one hill. I mapped the course out. Check out the elevation profile. South Mountain 10 Miler

Not at it at all. 

My fall HM is Sept 27th. It was listed as the 28th on one site, so I contacted the Race Director and he cconfirmed that it's on the 27th. I also got an official course map from him. I picked this HM for two reasons. 1. The guy timing it is a friend of mine 2. The course is in my backyard and covers almost 8.5 miles of my long runs already. I did find out however, that I've been running backwards on the course, so will change my direction this weekend. There are no major hills on this course, a number of small rolling type which I can handle no problem. I'm glad there are no major hills as I haven't done any real hill work since injuring my calf last month. At this time, I haven't set any goals, which is very unusual for me. I'd like to just run and have fun for a change and not be so worried about goals and just let things take their own natural course. However, I'm a goal type of person and I'll probably cave in and set a goal and pace for myself. Of course, I've got to do a better job of my pace than I did at my HM in June, but on the flip side, I know that this course will be properley marked and I'll be able to know my pace at 1 mile instead of having to wait for mile three to think I know it and mile four to verify it. By that time, my pace was almost 30 seconds faster than I wanted it to be and I almost crashed and burned during the race. Teresa, Sounds like you picked a really tough HM. I'm praying for you that your injury is better by then. Big grin

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Prince of Fatness

Ours is supposed to be a little hillly, but I'm afraid to investigate it!
            Teresa .... I highly recommend checking the course out beforehand if it is possible. Sure, you may see some things (hills) that you don't want to see, but it does take away an unknown going into race day. I've done this many times and believe the positives far outweigh the negatives.

Not at it at all. 

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Thanks for your prayers, Larry! I will need them. Sigh, MrPH, I know you're right - thanks for the kick in the pants. I will tell my running partner we need to go check it out next week. It will probably ease my anxiety, anyway! Good luck to you both on your fall races! Leaves are just starting to change here - I love fall in Maine!
                Teresa, I mean to comment on this as well. If the course isn't very far from you, of course you should go and drive the course ahead of time and see it for yourself. Even consider running some parts of it to get the feel. I'm sure every cross X-country meet your son runs, the teams walk the course first to understand it. Our minds are our worst enemy and the fear of the unknown is probably worse than the fear of the known, so check it out. Another question I have for you, on your days off right now, are you doing anything else? Any cross training etc? How about walking, have you tried walking a mile or so on your off days. Now that I've stepped up my mileage again, I've been throwing in some lunchtime walks and walked on my off day as well. I find that it helps releive my legs a bit and helps to keep them loose. You might want to see how it works for your ankle. Are you taking any Ifoprofen (I know that's spelled wrong) as well. It contains Antiflamitory meds. I use Motrin. Much diferent than Asprin or Advil, because they only have pain releivers in them. And one last thing. Have you tried applying ben-gay or Icy Hot prior to your run? Larry

LPH

Ringmaster

How wonderful--a $20 ten-miler in your backyard! I haven't run a 10-mile race and would love to add it to my repertoire. Some day. My race just published the course map. It's very similar to the course the A1A Marathon used for my first half, so I feel familiar with the course. I have to smile when I hear you guys talk about hills. In Florida, we train on bridges to try to get stronger, but the state is a pancake (like my feet!). On this course we'll hit a bridge at mile 4, then it's a flat cruise along the water. I raced a 5k once when people complained about how hilly the course was--b/c there were a few rolling sand dunes. Seriously, these were so gentle and flat, but in this small field people just weren't used to it. Anyway, I'm glad it's a course I've been on before, and I'm praying it's a little cooler. Cheffy, I'm not sure what to think about the orthotic. Like I said, it's not the first time I've been told I need one, by the running store, the orthopedist, or the podiatrist, and hammering my toenail is . . . well, painful. You probably saw in the LLR, but DH and I have met our medical deductible for the year, so it looks like insurance will cover 70% of the orthotics. DH is approving a second visit to the podiatrist to get everything discussed more in depth--and the financial details in writing! I have three more months to get this done before our deductible gets reset to 0. I'm a little scared, so I'm asking everyone I know for advice. Will the shoes I wear still work? Will it take forever to get used to them? I still really want to sub-2 this half. Let's see, after 4 days off last week, 6 on Monday, 6 on Wednesday, 8.5 today. No speedwork, just trying to wake the legs up again. Figuring on 4 slow ones tomorrow and 10 on Saturday. 11 weeks til my half. Like you, Larry, I'm terrible about being able to "take things easy." It's part of the reason I'm not sure I should run a marathon this winter. Life-wise, it's probably the easiest time in my life to train for one. But one of my biggest concerns is whether I'd be able to run it w/o thinking about the time, even in the smallest, darkest recess of my mind. Well, one way we can tell fall is inching closer to Florida--it is staying dark later. Family of racoons greeted me at the start of my run at 5:30, and I raced a bunny on the last lap of my 2.75 "Florida hills" course at 6:30, just getting light (he won). Oh, and, of course, we now track a new tropical storm every week. Here's praying for the Gulf Coast. +1 for the Icy Hot before the run. Big help when I had that slight calf pull. Sorry about the book.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                  Mile by Mile

Thought I would check in with the group and see how everyone is getting on.. Glad to hear the ankle is holding up, Theresa. Cheffy, I find hills are hard on the quads both because we use those muscles to power up the hill, then use them to control our speed coming down the other side. Only thing you can do, other than run more hills, is consciously try to use your ankles to "toe off" more going uphill. This is tough on the ligaments/tendons or whatever they are under your arches, so introduce this gradually! I agree with Larry and Mr.PH about checking the course out if you can, helps to know if you need to save energy for a hill etc. Vixi, you have been training well, I am sure you will break 2 hours, good luck! I bragged last week about narrowly beating a friend of the family in a 5k recently: got to take it back as I saw her last night and she told me she ran another race the same day, a 30k event, in 2:50! That's under 9:00min/mile, oh well.. I compared my runs in June, July and August with the same months last year and found I am already 120 miles ahead, with a couple more runs still to come in August, so this looks good for my race in October, should have a better base this year. Also, I hope the 1,000 plus miles from last October to this October will help my endurance.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Should have added- you can often treat the pain in the arch of your foot by rolling a tennis ball around with the sore part of your foot, its a sort of massage. Also, running hard up steep hills will give you stiffness in the glute muscles as well as the quads. What you do about that problem I will leave to you to decide!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Good job on the running, Simon! It will be fun to see how you do in October. Thanks for the advice, Larry. I tried Icy Hot for my run today, but I don't think I put enough on. I'll try more next time. I haven't done much on my off days lately, because we've been busy with summer stuff, but next week I'm planning on doing as you suggest, when the kids are back in school. I do use Ibuprofen occasionally. Today my friend and I ran 9.4 miles. I walked three times briefly - wow, those breaks help a lot! In the past, I've said NO walking, but I'm changing my approach a little. My friend struggled today - I hope she will be up to doing the HM with me. Sometimes I leave her in the dust, but sometimes she does the same to me! We'll probably agree to run our own races and meet up at the finish line. We're off to our cabin again this weekend - I have to figure out how to get my Sunday run in. The logging roads are pretty rough, and the paved road (4+ miles away) is so isolated I'm nervous running by myself. Oh, well, I'll think of something! Have a wonderful weekend!
                          Don't be afraid to apply it liberally and well before your run so that the heat starts to work and loosens everything up. quote Thanks for the advice, Larry. I tried Icy Hot for my run today, but I don't think I put enough on. I'll try more next time.

LPH

Had to change my schedule around this week as I won't be able to get a run in tomorrow (Sunday) So I ran 11 miles today. Rally thought I was taking it easy but in the end, it was something like a 8:01 pace. I wanted to run a 8:30 or so. But I felt good and was nice and relaxed. Humidity was high today as the sun played hide and go seek with the dark clouds. I should have gone out and run in the morning when there was no sun and a light rain, but I opted to go with my wife to pick-up our 4 year old grandson for a sleep over. "Priorities" Have a great one folks. Larry

LPH

130 miles for August Started the month injuried ( right hamstring) but kept running easy & had an aggressive stretching program. Ended the month feeling strong, flexible & fast. Big grin OK maybe not so much fast. Roll eyes Planning a group club run of 12 miles next Sunday, the course has 1100 feet of up hill & down w/ a uphill finish. MrPH that 10 miler sounds really good right now, I wish I was much closer. Larry that's a nice run, I think you are OK to run it fast with the day off today. Cheffy, Vixi & Teresa you ladies are doing great keep it up!

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Legs were absolutely dead tonight. Set out from home to do a 4.5-5.0M. Ended up doing 4.0 and had to walk on a hill. Probablty had to do with spending all day up and down a ladder painting the house and skipping normal eating and lunch stuff. Either way, it wasn't a good run at all. Leaving for three days at the beach for my birthday celebration, so won't be checking back in until Sat. So everyone run well, run healthy and run safe. Larry

LPH