Half Marathon Trainers

When is your HM? (Read 651 times)

I'm planning on 3 HMs this year. (Yeah, I know, a bit greedy Smile ) 3 Feb, Pukekohe HM. Moved into Pukekohe at the end of December and found out about the HM only 4 weeks ago. I haven't really prepared for it, so will approach it as a long run and aim for about a 2:15 time. However my wife has also entered it and I don't want to let her beat me by too much Wink 13 July, "Run Auckland" series http://runauckland.co.nz/ I'm also hoping to complete the 5 10km races in the series starting on the 30 March. I'll be working on my speed during February and March and aiming for my first sub 2 hour time for the HM. 2 Nov, Auckland HM http://www.aucklandmarathon.co.nz/. Last year I managed a time of 2:06, one year after starting running. Aiming for sub 1:55 this year at this stage, but that may change before the end of the year. I think I have caught the half marathon bug!!!

Geoff

I have 2 planned. The first is Bostons Run to Remember in May, Memorial Day weekend. Number 2 is in October and it's the BAA half. I did rtr last year and it was great although long Wink and have only volunteered for the BAA. Can't wait to get back outside, I'm a wimp when it comes to the cold.

jules2

Just found this group, I love HM's I'd like to do full ones but my legs are not upto it. First one is the Amsterdam ( Holland so it should be flat ) on 15 March 2008, haven't done one since last March due to an Achilles problem which touch wood is now on the way out. Then the Dog and Hedgehog ( Market Bosworth, England ) 11 May 2008 plus I hope several more. Also planning on some duathlons just to spread the misery out.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

Nanorunner

New to the group, partly because I just decided to do my first HM. It'll be the Bank of America Capital City Half Marathon in Columbus Ohio on April 12. Just a little nervous about it. This is only my 3rd race of any kind since college (over 20 years ago). And it's over 4 times longer than my previous longest race. I'm looking forward to it though. And I'm looking forward to learning from the experience of the people in this group.
            Geoff way too go... I did 3 half's in one year before and it worked out good. First two were 6 weeks apart and third was 7 months later. Welcome runohio, I looked at your log and I do not think you'll have any problem. Don't start too fast, finish strong.. . Jules I started running with Duathlons but I fell on the bike and tore a rotator cuff so now it is too hard on my shoulder. However it turned me into a distance runner so it was a blessing in disguise.

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Geoff way too go... I did 3 half's in one year before and it worked out good. First two were 6 weeks apart and third was 7 months later.
              Well my HM yesterday was a bit of a disaster! 2:34 Confused Started slow (as intended) and just got slower. I've never been too good in the heat. It's summer down here and an 8:30 am start meant it was hot and humid. More runs in the middle of the day needed I think. At least the July HM is in the middle of winter and the October HM starts at 6:30 am. Shouldn't be any heat problems there!

Geoff

Sorry Geoff, it seems so odd for me to hear yo say it's summer. Shocked I never tried one in the summer but I'm sure it is difficult. The good news is you have two more this year and improvement is likely. No where to go but up. 5 months of training can make a huge difference. Good luck! Smile

mattw1970

Injured

Im running my first 1/2 of the year ( 3rd total) on April 27th - Lehigh Valley 1/2 Marathon - Allentown, PA anyone else run this before and know where the hills fall or is it all pretty hilly ? Anyone running it this year ? Good luick to everyone running 1/2 marathons this year! RUN STRONG!
                  INJURED

Prince of Fatness

anyone else run this before and know where the hills fall or is it all pretty hilly ? Anyone running it this year ?
                    Check in the Feb trainers thread. I'm running it and responded to you there.

Not at it at all. 

My bike is my therapist

Hi everyone. Just joined in. I love doing halves. I'm really about at my limit as for as training time goes. I cycle a lot as well so between the two I stay pretty busy. My next HM is the Charlotte RaceFest April 12th. Smile http://www.charlotteracefest.com
                      "Psychotic speed and you'll crash, over caution will get you last. "
                      1000 Miles Running, 1000 Miles Biking
                      5000 Mile Club
                      Half Marathon Trainers
                        Here's mine. It's going to be my first. Photobucket
                        KathyW

I did my first Half Marathon on Saturday in Sedona, Arizona. It's a kinda hilly course - 1226 feet elevation gain. Anyway I made it and only had to walk a couple very short sections on the two hills - I was really slow (2 hours and 42 minutes), but I was really happy to do it and to be able to run 90+ percent of it. The course was really pretty. I went out the day before to check it out and took some pictures: http://kathywing.smugmug.com/gallery/4313957_yAUfD#224411586

Nanorunner

Congratulations Kathy! And, nice pictures. It must have been a spectacular run.
                              GREAT job Kathy Big grin Two questions, what was the altitude and is that higher than you're use too? If so I have a third question, how much do you think it affected you? Beautiful photos! Again good job........

KathyW

runohio - it was very pretty and perfect weather. They have a full marathon and a 5K the same day too. Sarge: The course was up and down between 4300 and 4700 feet above sea level. I don't think that affected me much - I live at 1500 feet and one of my training runs in the local mountains near my house got me up to about 5000 feet. When I tried to do some trail running at 8000+ feet in the fall - it was much harder - I'm always sucking air, but it was much worse up that high. When I hike and climb I don't typically notice the thinner air until about 10000 feet and it really starts to kill me above 12000 feet. I'm hoping the running will help get me more aerobically fit for higher elevation climbs. Kathy