Half Marathon Trainers

Half Marathon Training - July (Read 589 times)

Welcome to July - How y'all doing?

It's hot & sticky here and dropping my pace by over a min/mile still hasn't stopped my ass from dragging by the time I get to the end of my runs.

No races for me this month but I have a HM next month so I'm ramping up my miles for that.

Have a great 4th July weekend all of you in the US!

2017 Goals
    1) Run more than 231 miles
    2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

Happy July, Matt. Thanks again for keeping this group going.

The heat has also been bad here in NY.  I'm not sure how you southern folks manage.

BTW, between your comment the other day and a recent 15.5 mile run, I'm seriously considering running a full this year.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Well, here in Canada, we celebrated our nation's 143rd birthday yesterday. I always think getting out for a run to see the great place we live in is a great idea. It wasn't a long run on dead legs, but I'm not too concerned. We're in a heavy humidity-high heat funk; seems like every night has a tornado watch or a thunderstorm warming. Thankfully so far we haven't had flooding in my city.

This month doesn't have any races for me, only a 20 minute run (free hat)  at the local running store. It'll be a full month of half training. I'm hoping I can stick well to the plan and that my legs will feel good. I think they are my weakness, not my cardio. Smile

Have a great month!

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

I just realized that I only have 5 weeks until my next HM.......UGH!!!  Been slacking a bit lately since June was really kind of a planned "off" month for me.  Still putting in maybe 20 mpw, but need to step that up now.

I love summer's here in Denver.......since I run usually at about 4:30 each morning, the weather is almost perfect.....cool and anywhere from 55 to 65 F and rarely much humidity.

Today I did a 7 mile trail run with a buddy and it was PERFECT.....overcast, cool, just spectacular!!  Took some pictures along the way......

A view of the low clouds above Eldorado Canyon near Boulder, CO......the trail can be seen along the lower portion of the draw below...

Single track along a portion of one mesa near the loop back point...

A large doe along the trail.  She just stood there cautiously while we ran by....

And, finally, a picture of my new Inov-8 Roclite 295 trail shoes.  LOVE THEM!!!!

Happy running and may July be all you want it to be.....

Keep the running and fitness up and keep the weight from coming back.

Run more miles than last year.

Nice pics, Sean!

My son did a 50km trail race yesterday, on avery tough course, and in really hot weather. He took 6hrs 38 minutes for the 31 miles, but said the trail was so steep in places they has ropes you could use to pull yourself up. A really tough race!

I tried to do a little training run myself today, and managed about 11 miles, but felt very hot and tired at the end.

Good luck to all, keep up the good work.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Sean, your photos and weather make me green with envy!

I told myself that I was not going to start every post between May and September complaining about the weather but my goodness is it HOT!!! 14 miles yesterday morning wiped me out and that was even with drinking 88oz of water/gatorade on my way round. Give me 60F and pine lined trails any day!

I'm back on the road this week - anyone know any good places to run in the DC suburbs?

awaldvogel - your pace and mileage look awesome to me... and you are 20+ pounds lighter than I am... go for it mate. Lets see if we can get a couple of Full Marathon's out of this HM group by year's end. Anyone else game? Sean?

Meg - keep up the training. What plan are you following?

Simon - Solid work by your son. That's great. Any races in your near future?

2017 Goals
              1) Run more than 231 miles
              2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

Sorry, Matt.........you won't sucker me into a full marathon.  Some times I entertain the thought of doing one, but every time I quickly come back to the fact that I will want to RACE the stupid thing and to do that would require way more miles [time] than I am willing to put in.

I am kind of jealous, though.........good luck to you and I hope you train hard, safe, and injury free.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Matt, I'm loosely following the Hal Higdon intermediate plan because it started at a mileage place I was really comfortable with. I looked at the novice, but thought the mileage was lower than I wanted. I'm not doing the speed work at this point, so I'm subbing in an easy run instead. I'm only in week 3 but it's going pretty well so far, I think.

Sean, your pics are great! Looks like a good place to run! 

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Beginner all over again

I'm entering a Half Marathon this month

Just as a training run though...  so my training is just the same as always with kind of an Extra-Long LongRun on HM day.

Course limit on this HM  is 16:01 pace or you get left behind.

So that's my goal...try to keep the Course-Closers behind me   

I run three times a week.

60, 90, and 120 minutes in a certain HeartRate zone, so distance varies a bit, but I'm still Very Slow at the HR zone...

EDIT---------- Schedule conflict, did not get to run this one... Next HM is mid-October 

Frances, you will have no problem staying ahead of the course closers! 

Matt, I don`t have anything planned, that may be in part why I am not very motivated to train, it kind of works both ways, because not having trained I don`t want to race and set times I will not be happy with.

We have been having temps around 90f or higher, and pretty humid. Certainly makes running tough.

Increased my mileage and runs per week in June to try to run 5x/wk and 40+km/week and I'm trying to maintain this for the summer.  Have been able to attain that goal most weeks.  I've also run 2 - 10 k races in the last 2 weeks but I felt my performace suffered in both because of the heat (especially in kilometers 7-9).  I set a PR in the first (58:42) which is the first time I have run 10 k in less than 1 hr and the second I was just short of the 1 hr mark at 1:00:50 (was much hotter during this race - 37 C).    Felt I could have run faster if heat hadn't been a factor.  May have also been a lack of endurance in racing at this distance although I have been running between 8-16 k for several weeks.

I have been (and will be) in Southern Ontario for the month of July and the heat is a big change for me (20+C increase in temp from what I am used to).  I have dropped my long run to 10 k (don't have any races over this distance planned until the fall) and tried to decrease my pace (I run my training runs too fast anyway) to try to compensate.  How long does it take to get used to the heat?

2010 Goals! 1. Sub 27 min in a 5k. (PR - 26:36) 2. Sub 58 min in a 10k. (PR - 1:01:16) New PR July 3, 2010 58:42 3. Sub 2 hrs in a HM (PR 2:18:28 - ING Ottawa Half ) 4. Run 1,500 km for the year 5. 145 lbs by the end of 2010
                        CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Kathy, nice work on the 5K and 10K. I think for me it takes about a week to get acclimatized to big changes in the weather. I find high heat and high humidity never get entirely comfortable, but get tolerable.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Pretty quiet in here! How is training/racing going for you? Are you managing the heat and/or humidity?

I'm feeling strong and I've done my first 7 miler with the first 8 miler coming this Sunday.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Ran 7 miles today, the first 4 at 9:00 per mile, the rest at 8:00. Pretty hot so stopped for water after the first 4, also thirsty at the end.

My new avatar photo was taken after my son and his buddy finished running 100kms-62 miles, to raise money for a charity in Zimbabwe, Africa.

Motivation has really been in the toilet the last month+  Still only getting about 18 to 24 mpw and I really should be pushing 30 to 35 at this stage.  I am just busy at work.....lots of stuff around the house.....a strained groin due to my recent trail running foray........LIFE just has its grips right now, I guess.

Hoping to turn it around here in August...........have three races planned!!!! UGH!!!

I hope everyone else is doing well.  HAPPY RUNNING!!!!