Half Marathon Trainers

Inteprid Racers - May 17 & 18 (Read 16 times)

an amazing likeness

Precision. We’re surrounded by it...clocks on PCs, tablets and smartphones; GPS running watches which measure time and distance to the thousands.(0.01 mile = 5.28 feet for reference next time you log a half as 13.22mi) I often ponder why we seek such levels of precision in our running and training – did I run that workout at the correct pace?...was it the right distance? Where do all these ‘correct’ and ‘right/wrong’ concepts fit into our running when for most of us hobby runners training is about stress and recovery…did I create the stresses to build new capacity and when will I recover - both imprecise measures in the scheme of things.

We’ve got two 10K and a marathon on our formal race calendar this weekend. Ayola will running the hills of Point Pleasant Park and back to the Citadel fort in Halifax, Nova Scotia – if the course is what I recall as the south section of the Bluenose half marathon, this has some challenging hills to it! This is Canada’s Victoria Day holiday weekend, and the Bluenose race weekend (full, half, 10K, 5K, kids run) is a big old party in Halifax and this beautiful, historic city is full of runners shaking off the winter.

Zelanie’s Iris festival also looks like a big ol' street party with races from 3K to marathon over two days. Z is putting all her winter training miles into a PR attempt. I’d run that 3K the day before if I were you, Zelanie..get a speed workout in and enjoy the racing.

And, oh my gosh, Docket – are you really running a marathon along the shores of the Monterey Bay?! I’d have to stop at each ocean view and scan for sea otters or whales.

May 18, 2014

Docket_Rocket

Surfer's Path Capitola Marathon

Santa Cruz, CA

May 18, 2014

ayola

Bluenose 10K

Halifax, Nova Scotia

May 18, 2014

Zelanie

Keizer Iris Festival

Keizer, OR

Good luck to all who are toeing the start line this weekend, and here's to following breezes to all our racers and trainers.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

redleaf

Fleet feet everyone and may the wind always be at your back.

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

Have great races everyone!

Run, Walk, Crawl, just Finish.

HF # 1189

Rondog65

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend!!  I will be doing the following race as a warm up for the half marathon next weekend!

5/18  Rondog65  YPD 5K  Yarmouth, MA

Ron's PRs 5K 24:14 (12/07/2013); Half Marathon 1:53:33 (5/26/2013)

hog4life

Good luck everyone!

Zelanie

Good luck D, ayola, and Rondog!

MT, the festival is actually about 45 minutes away from my house, so the 3K on Sat. Isn't an option. I need to go up there on Sunday for an afternoon event, so the 10K is perfect. I will have to get a "trial membership" at a local gym to get a shower.

The iris festival races usually go past the blooming iris fields, but the courses had to be changed this year due to construction.

Since I've decided my poor showing the spring is likely mental, I am going to use my watch to help me. I've decided to break the race up like this:

1 mile

1 mile

6 X 1/2 mile

4 X 1/4 mile

Last 0.2

I will set a workout so that all I see is current pace and distance left on current lap. And my goal is to hold goal pace for as many of those segments as I possibly can.

Cyberic

I wish you all the best!

Good luck everyone!

Had a great warm up run this morning - just running 10k tomorrow - along with ten thousand other folks. Sub 60 minutes seems out of reach especially with the hills and the crowds and my fitness - probably 63 or 64 minutes.

A

Recalculating...

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Fleet feet, all! Hope the weather cooperates and the races are good!

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Hope everyone has a great great race!

Ready, go.

Rondog65

Beautiful day for a race, good friends, good time.  24:30 a course record, not quite a PR.

Hope everyone else had a good day!

Ron's PRs 5K 24:14 (12/07/2013); Half Marathon 1:53:33 (5/26/2013)

Zelanie

53:48.  Not a PR, but faster than 2 weeks ago, and I felt like I ran it hard.  Overall, a good race for me I think.  Too bad I couldn't quite catch the woman in my AG for 3rd- there were 3 of us who came in really close together at the line, but she had the most left in the tank..

Posted in the 2000k group

"Overall, yesterday was a great day although I ran pretty slowly for me around 65 minutes

. Perfect weather cloudy and cool around 55F. I wore a light jacket over the race shirt, tied it around my waist for the run and needed it on the way home, more on that later. The race start is "downtown" a leisurely 2 miles downhill from the house. I jogged down to the start and watched the first, fast HM runners go by. The 10k was incredibly crowded, maybe ten thousand people. Everyone pleasant and in a great mood. A two wave start -elite at the front of a sub 60 minutes group and then everyone else - strollers, walkers, etc... I tried to get to the front of the second group and didn't make it, so the first mile of running once we got going was also a jog, thinned out at the steep hill of the bridge. I did walk up a steep hill on the Dartmouth side, after that I maintained a good pace throughout only slowing on steep uphills the second bridge uphill and north street . No 5k split but I imagine coming back was easily a full 4-5 minutes faster (mostly long downhills).

Lessons learned: if I were trying for a specific time one must start in the first group even at the back, and secondly I need to run lots of hills this summer Definitely my Achilles heel.

Recalculating...

Post race - I had fun chatting with neighbours, and there was a brief snow! Luckily I had my jacket and a mocha. Husband who was repairing a retaining wall on the house (we are on the marathon, HM route) enjoyed the cover band that set up across the street during the race that took requests.

Still looking for the elusive 59 minutes - there's a small local, less hilly 10k in August - I'll try again!

Recalculating...

Damaris?

Recalculating...