Half Marathon Trainers

MrPH.... After my plan.....? (Read 272 times)

I am due to finish HH novice plan in 2-3 weeks. My HM is not till end of September. I started it early just to see if 1). I could HANDLE the mileage and training 2). to give myself plenty of time to build up in case things did not go well. What do you think would be a good next thing to do when I complete? Higdon only has you running 4 days per week on this plan with 2 xtraining days. Would you recommend another easy run day in the mix to get me to running 5 days? or would you keep it as is, and just extend the long run by 10% rule..... Just want to be sure how to maintain without overdoing it? Thanks, Cheffy Smile

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Prince of Fatness

My vote is to add another easy day. Even if it is just 3 miles, it will get your weekly mileage over 20. Hold that for a few weeks, then start adding mileage again in preparation for the half. Hopefully others will chime in as well.

Not at it at all. 

Mileage at the end of the plan will be around 23 miles per week. The Long run ends at 12 miles. Should I just aim to keep that long run at that distance, or look to increase it to perhaps 14-15 miles by September? I like the Idea of another easy run like on the day after the long run as sort of a recovery run? Any others willing to share their experience/advice? ( Even though I love MrPH.... Blush....lol) Smile

Prince of Fatness

Take it easy .... I'm married! I try to make it a point to get out for a real easy run the day after a hard workout. I have found I recover quicker than if I take the day off. Emphasis here is on the real easy. Everyone is different, but I think you should at least try it to see what works for you. If you want to go to 14-15, go ahead. It shouldn't hurt you as slowly as you are building your mileage. I will say that if you are consistently getting that 12 miler in, you'll have no problems with the HM. Remember, plans are guidelines and make a great starting point, but don't be afraid to tailor them to fit what works for you.

Not at it at all. 

Take it easy .... I'm married! .
            Me Too..... To the Greatest Guy in the whole world.... ( no offence, although I still think your the best for helping me so much)... Wink Thanks Again, This really helps me. I thik I will do an easy recovery of 3 the day following the long run, and aim for slow increase to 14-15 for the long. If anyone else has some Ideas tips on what works best for your training, please share! that's what the community is all about! Smile

Looking at your log, you and I run similar mileage. The difference being I try to add the 5th day when possible. I currently run T, W, Th, S & Su, my long run now is on Sunday, but as I start my official training I will shift that to Saturday and use Sunday more as a recovery run. I would think you would benefit by doing something similar or even getting in 3-4 miles on Saturday with your x-training.
                Cheffy great to see you're doing so well. You want to get your mileage up to at least 26 miles per week for several weeks before the half. Adding a 5th day would be an excellent way to do that. I would suggest after a few weeks of that you start adding distance to a mid week run, about 1/2 mile every other week until you get it up to 8 miles. Also slowly lengthen your long run every other week. If you can get your mileage up to 32 for a couple weeks with a long run of 13 you'll cruise through that half marathon. Long runs of 12 and weekly totals of 26 will get you to the finishline but it may be a tough day. The most important things are that you stay injury free and taper for 10 days so you get to the start fresh. Good luck

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Cheffy great to see you're doing so well. You want to get your mileage up to at least 26 miles per week for several weeks before the half. Adding a 5th day would be an excellent way to do that. I would suggest after a few weeks of that you start adding distance to a mid week run, about 1/2 mile every other week until you get it up to 8 miles. Also slowly lengthen your long run every other week. If you can get your mileage up to 32 for a couple weeks with a long run of 13 you'll cruise through that half marathon. Long runs of 12 and weekly totals of 26 will get you to the finishline but it may be a tough day. The most important things are that you stay injury free and taper for 10 days so you get to the start fresh. Good luck
                  WOW Sarge..... I LOVE your response. That's why you and MrPH are my cyber coaches!! Big grin This sounds like the way to go. I ( knocks on wood) have been doing GREAT with the training, but the LSD is tightening my calves more than I like at the moment. I am combatting this with lots of gentle stretches during the day, and warm baths to soak. Foam roller works great too. From where I started this 9 months ago, I would have NEVER guessed I could even attempt a feat like this. You guys make it all seem like I will ace this thing..... My goal ( other than crossing the finish line) will be to have my picture taken with a sign that reads " This one's for you MrPH and Sarge!" taken just after crossing the finish line. This is why I came over to RA. The support is amazing, along with you all of course! Thanks Again, and I am sure I will continue to have questions.... Good to know you will be there to answer them! Smile