Half Marathon Trainers

Training Report, week of 8/7 - 8/13 (Read 273 times)

Wingz

Professional Noob

I looked up today at the training chart I have posted on my computer hatch. Fully a third of the scheduled workouts are done... and I don't feel any more ready for this long race than I was a little over a month ago when I started. Is this a case of slow improvement or am I really not getting any better? I guess time will have to tell, since I sure can't!!! I had a few blips along the way this week, but I managed to recover myself and stay on track. That took some effort and will-power, so I feel justifiably proud of myself this week. Smile Next week, school's starting back up and I'll have a whole new set of scheduling problems... I mean challenges... to work around. It seems that my life is working to keep me continually challenged and focused on what I want. I guess this is teaching me focus, determination, and perseverance... but really it just seems like a big pain! My "long" run is up to 5 1/2 miles. It's 6 miles next week, and I feel I'm ready for it. More than ready for it. Bring it on! I'm concerned that I won't get used to long runs quickly enough, but 6 is moderately long for me and it doesn't seem like it'll be too bad, so I guess I'll be okay... I hope!

Roads were made for journeys...

Wingz

Professional Noob

It occurred to me this afternoon that, duh, one of the main reasons I picked the HM was that it was more than I was currently capable of doing, that it seemed like a stretch but not an impossible stretch. So... why am I complaining that it's seeming like a bit of a stretch??? Blush

Pardon me while I copy and paste from your earlier post:
        Fully a third of the scheduled workouts are done... and I don't feel any more ready for this long race than I was a little over a month ago when I started. My "long" run is up to 5 1/2 miles. It's 6 miles next week, and I feel I'm ready for it. More than ready for it. Bring it on! I'm concerned that I won't get used to long runs quickly enough, but 6 is moderately long for me and it doesn't seem like it'll be too bad, so I guess I'll be okay... I hope!
        I'm guessing the last month of the training plan was more to get you ready for this 6 mile long run, not the half-marathon. Would you have said "Bring it on!" if you had to run 6 miles a month ago? I'm guessing that your endurance is improving, it's just not at your goal level yet. Have patience and keep diligently running... that's the key. Good luck.
        Wingz

Professional Noob

Roll eyes Patience was never my strong suit... Actually a month ago I was recovering from an overuse injury which I got in part from increasing milage too quickly... so the agonizingly slow increase in training has probably been good for me... I just wish being patient didn't take so long!!!