Half Marathon Trainers

HMT - July (Read 473 times)

an amazing likeness

Ok, let's hear those goals for July...

Races?

Training for fall halfs and fulls?

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

No races, just training. Training is going mostly well for my fall race (Half on 9-11-11). I'm signed up for the 20 minute challenge on July 20 which is just a group run held nationally by all Running Room stores. Just an easy break. I'm doing hills every Wednesday. My running right the last two months is the highest consistent mileage I've ever had this early in the year so I'm hopeful to have good runs going forward.

How about the rest of you?

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

July is XC racing for me. Started with 5k XC yesterday - 21.29, almost a minute faster than on the same course last year. 3rd in my age group and 6th in overall masters women in the North Island Champs. Next is Wellington champs next Saturday then New Zealand champs (try hard not to be last) 2 weeks later. Might run a half in August.

Howdy Y'all

Brief check in from me. Just moved house... back in TX (not a good move but people, house & furniture are all in the same location at last so... can't complain). Have not run for 2 weeks until this morning. Managed five miles. It's stinking hot down here, I forgot how much that slows me down. Big grin

Goal for July get back up to 100 miles/month. No races for me through the summer. Next race, probably a 20k in September.

Good to see everyone is doing well.

Cheers MattJ

2017 Goals
          1) Run more than 231 miles
          2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

ditto CanadianMeg... just training in July and planning on running the no frills 5k on 7/16. Although since its so warm at 8am I won't be racing the race... will just jog it to finish in less than 45 min! or maybe I'll shoot for sub 40! LOL Am getting my weekly time on feet (7-10 hrs/wk) up to where I want to be on regular basis, although travel has gotten in the way occasionally.

Matt: Where in Tx r u? Did you move back to the Dallas area? (if I recall... maybe incorrectly). Glad to see you get back to running.

The Austin heat & humidity at 6am has driven me into joining a Gold's Gym and using dreadmills... at least Dw and DD2 also go there, but not for as long as I do. Also makes it easier to cross train.

Am still not sure which will be my first half this fall. Either the Fort Worth half in Nov (will stay with friends) or the hilly Decker Challenge in Dec. Might do both. Definitely want to be in town for the 3M half in Jan tho (was out of town last year). Its a point to point mostly easy decline (not steep enought to hurt) from what I have read. Could use and easy one after Decker... LOL

bob e v
            2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

old-runner

I've got a half marathon coming up next week that I'm excited about. It's The Scream! in the the North Carolina mountains, starting at the top and going down, with an elevation drop of 2000+ feet. If my legs hold out I'm hoping for a PR and would really like to run a sub 1:30 for the first time. Not sure I've got it in me but I'm looking forward to trying.

http://www.thescream.blueridgemultisports.com/home.html

Meg- I remember when I took my first clinic at the RR.

The store manager told us about some upcoming events before we went out for a group run, one of these was the 20 Minute Challenge.

None of us knew what it was, but someone asked and was told it was a 5k run. There was a moment of silence, then someone at the back asked `wouldn`t that be the 40 Minute Challenge.`

Just got back from Nova Scotia, visiting my sister and her family and attending my nephews wedding- wonderful time but not much running.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Richard that sounds like a fast one if you are in shape for braking on downhills- BTW I have a long term friend (over 50 years) who lives in Asheville.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

old-runner

SimonR... Asheville is a great running town... lots of good races! It's about 100 miles from me but I've been up there for a lot of races. Best is the Asheville Citizen-Times Half Marathon. 

From what I've heard the downhill in my half marathon next weekend is not so steep that you have to ride your brakes so maybe it'll pay off for me if it's a gradual decline. It's a drop of about 200 feet per mile but I really don't have an idea of how steep that is. We'll see I guess. I'll celebrate if I'm able to break 1:30.

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

My 3rd 30km+ training run yesterday. Did 30.6km in 2:55.  All at a very easy relaxed pace.  I would have been over the moon with this effort if it wasn't for the fact that the last km hurt a lot which worries me.  But still 3.5 months to go so plenty of time.

Goals this month are just to keep conditioning and keep the aerobic fitness heading up up up.

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:
                      Run the 75km Hillary Trail in a day (done 10/3/2012)

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Today's run was one of those perspective runs when it's just a solid reminder that bad runs happen and to really watch the eating properly/sleep/hydration stuff.

Simon, I've never done a clinic. Here 20 minute challenge really is just time not distance. A couple of years ago, they had recruits from RCMP Depot come run with us which was fun. They pretty much ran circles around the rest of us, but it was fun.

Vino, that's awesome! I'm psyching up for a 7 mile tomorrow and can't imagine doing the volume you are. I got through this last year so I know I will this year. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Today's run was one of those perspective runs when it's just a solid reminder that bad runs happen and to really watch the eating properly/sleep/hydration stuff.

Simon, I've never done a clinic. Here 20 minute challenge really is just time not distance. A couple of years ago, they had recruits from RCMP Depot come run with us which was fun. They pretty much ran circles around the rest of us, but it was fun.

Vino, that's awesome! I'm psyching up for a 7 mile tomorrow and can't imagine doing the volume you are. I got through this last year so I know I will this year. Smile

Meg

For me sleep is an absolute cornerstone and I think pre big run nutrition (especially the day before) too is absolutely a game breaker. I can hear what you are saying. I became lazy and too relaxed about 20km runs last year and it took one crash and burn to wake me up to it.  i think you need those bad runs to keep your mind sharp, to keep you thinking and to ensure you prepare properly.

I ran over 11km today, the day after a 30km and felt good, felt strong, no niggles no injuries and just enjoyed it on trail the softer ground just at an easy relaxed pace. 65km for the week. Not a bad effort, I am happy.  My aerobic fitness is looking good. I am still worried about my strength and speed but plenty of time to address that in the coming 3 months

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:
                          Run the 75km Hillary Trail in a day (done 10/3/2012)

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Rough 8 miles this morning, but I finished it which is important for my mental game. We're hitting low to mid 30s Celsius/ low 90s Fahr when you factor in humidity. No end in sight in the seven day forecast.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Hello all. I'm new to this user group but have already gotten good advice from Meg, bobev, and happyfeet. I'm training for my first half in October. My goal for July is to get my long run to 7 or 8 miles and keep building a solid running base. I'll need all the encouragement I can get.

Welcome Lakerunner!!  Good luck with your training and with your first half