Half Marathon Trainers

HMT - July (Read 473 times)

Just joined, thanks for having me.

My race is Oct 2 (10.5 weeks out). It will be my third half marathon, but my first since 2001, so really like starting over. I actually haven’t run a race longer than 5k since 2001. That’ll change July 30 when I run an 8 mile race – can’t wait to run this, as I’ve had some trouble settling on what I think my HM pace is and I think this race will help. I have a decent base (35 – 40 mpw), and my 5k and quality workouts say one thing, but the unknown lurks.

My “plan” is basic 3 workouts: hills, tempo/interval, long, with easy miles to fill the rest, and a day off each week. Modify as necessary when that whole “life” thing gets in the way.

The goal for Oct 2 (today’s goal, this shifts around all the time) is somewhere under 1:30. Some days I think this is sandbagging (i.e. I should be “well under” 1:30), other days I’m not so sure. I’ll see as race day gets closer.

Look forward to sharing experience as it unfolds.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
    We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Glad you joined the discussion- I always find I have good runs and bad, and worry about my time goal.

So far I have always found the pace on race day, training has its ups and downs.

Not much running for me recently, currently I am blaming my laziness on the heat, and my daily fascination with a bike race in France......

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

"Training has its ups and downs"

Truer words were never written, and should be obvious to me, but always nice to be reminded. Even this week had a so-so workout Tues, which I got a little down about, and a great workout last night, which I probably got too jazzed about. Just have to keep trusting what I'm doing, and remembering that (God willing) October won't bring 106 degree heat indices...

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
        We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

"Training has its ups and downs"

Really, running through this heat has led to some dejecting thoughts, but I know I'm laying down a decent base which will pay off once the temps go back to normal. I'm please that my log now looks like I'm serious about training, but I'm nervous about my upcoming 7 mile long run. Only ran that distance twice before and hoping I only need one walk break to complete it. At least the temp should be in the 70's tomorrow at 5:00 am.

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

I hate running in summer....so I don't Big grin

However this year I am going to, just not the volume I do over winter.  All I can think of is go early, go late and just skip really hot days. This isn't good advice I am sure for the serious runner, but it is what I plan to do

Last day of a high milage week for me this week. Knocked off 36km yesterday in 3:20 and felt pretty good at the end of it.  All just time on feet at the moment.  I am now going to wind back the length of my long runs to about 25km for a month and do the odd one a bit quicker and then push the length up again in September (Marathon is end of Oct)

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:
            Run the 75km Hillary Trail in a day (done 10/3/2012)

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

new weekly millage record for me this week. 91km

mandy will be proud Big grin

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:
              Run the 75km Hillary Trail in a day (done 10/3/2012)

nice work vino!!!  and a 36k run - you are going to rock that marathon!

On the positive side - I ran my 7 mi long run for this week. Yeah!!!

On the negative side - it was less than a good run. The cold front that was to have come through overnight did not, so I awoke to 78oF and very humid. I had to take more walk breaks than I wanted. AARRGGGHHH. By the end of the run, I just kept repeating my mantra: "You're building a base, just keep building the base,..."

Even on crappy run days like this, I still love running!

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Definitely ups and downs. I had the BEST RUN EVER this morning. I was so relaxed the whole run and, when I got to the 8 miles on my training plan, I wanted to keep going. It was a huge confidence booster for me!

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Great to hear it CanadianMeg. You are about a month ahead of me in training so I look to your progress for what's to come for me. So glad you had a good run!

Good work guys, nice to see people making steady progress!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

The heatwave is in full effect down here in TX (Yes bobev, back in the DFW Metromess!). 24th day over 100F (38C) with no end in sight, at least not in the 10 day forecast.

Even at 6am the temp is up over 82F (28C). It's making running a bit of a slog and a chore right now.

On the race front I was looking for something to keep me consistent and found this: 4 Seasons Challenge

It has kept me motivated. I would not be out in this heat if the first even wasn't a HM in about 3 weeks time! Yikes. It will not be pretty!

Glad to hear everyone doing so well. Welcome to our newcomers.

Meg & Vino - you're both on a roll right now. Keep posting the positive stuff... it keeps us slackers on our toes. Wink

Also, sorry I have not updated the upcoming race thread for a while... post move cluster mess on the domestic front! I'll get right on it.

Stay cool y'all.

MTA: Correcting url/link problems

2017 Goals
                          1) Run more than 231 miles
                          2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

Also, sorry I have not updated the upcoming race thread for a while... post move cluster mess on the domestic front! I'll get right on it.

Race list updated. Looks like October's going to be a big month for this group!

Barb - what did you decide on the Whistlestop Half? In or out? Smile

2017 Goals
                            1) Run more than 231 miles
                            2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Somehow I missed the race list so I've posted to that thread now. My race is in Sept.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Race list updated. Looks like October's going to be a big month for this group!

Thanks MattJ, seeing my name up there keeps me motivated. This forum does too - so glad I found it.

I added a bit of yoga to my training since I'm getting my running muscles back, and they are very tight and I'm not great at stretching. Staying injury free is at the top of my list of goals.