Half Marathon Trainers

UPDATE Higdon HM Novice: HELP! (Read 770 times)

You Are Beautiful.

I'm going to be starting my 'official' Higdon training today! It's going to be weird to reign in my running when I've been pushing for that 4 mile mark. I think I'm supposed to run 2/3/2/4 this week. I'll double check before I leave. My longest run to date is a 3.8mi. I'll go out for day 1 this afternoon. I'm pretty jazzed.

MTA: I'm now going into week 3. I'm a little worried because I went from a long run of 4 mi (6/21) and now, next week, I'm moving into 5 miles (6/28). Anyone have experience with this training program? I am worried 4 to 5 miles in a week is too much. For reference, I did 3-3-4 last week and the plan says 3.5-3.5-5 this week. I also do cross-training (biking, elliptical, 30 Day Shred). I am being very compliant with the program but my understanding was 10% max increase a week.

My Storygraph

It does not matter how slowly you go, so long as you do not stop. Confucius
    Be patient and tough, some day this pain will be useful to you. Ovid

You'll learn to let things go. 

Higdon plans are pretty good and used this plan for first half last September.  Make sure you also foolow the otherdays (strength and xtrain) as these plans are a little lighter on running compared to other plans so you need the fitness gained on the other non running days.

also plans are guidlines and you can always do more/adjust as you proceed.  Also would make sure you hit some 5K, 5 mile, 10k races along the way to judge your progress.

Good luck

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

I think you will be OK! Just remember to go really slowly (including a run/ walk if you need it - that's what I do when I'm tired, etc...), you should feel like you could keep going when you're done.

If its really bugging you - do 4.5, you have another week to increase to 5.

Recalculating...

Prince of Fatness

MTA: I'm now going into week 3. I'm a little worried because I went from a long run of 4 mi (6/21) and now, next week, I'm moving into 5 miles (6/28). Anyone have experience with this training program? I am worried 4 to 5 miles in a week is too much. For reference, I did 3-3-4 last week and the plan says 3.5-3.5-5 this week. I also do cross-training (biking, elliptical, 30 Day Shred). I am being very compliant with the program but my understanding was 10% max increase a week.

You are going from 10 to 12 miles.  Yes, that is more than 10%, but I think it's OK since your mileage isn't that high.  Plus the next week after that is no increase.  The 10% rule is just a guide, as is the plan you are following.  It's OK to deviate as long as it isn't too extreme.  I think that you'll be alright but of course if you start feeling wore down step back a bit.

Not at it at all. 

You Are Beautiful.

Thanks for the advice. I will give it a go! I was sure nervous about 4 miles but 5 seems so concrete. It's like a barrier. "I can't possibly run 5 miles!"

My Storygraph

It does not matter how slowly you go, so long as you do not stop. Confucius
            Be patient and tough, some day this pain will be useful to you. Ovid

You'll learn to let things go. 

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I was only at 4 miles when I started that program.  I was nervous about it, too, so I stretched it out and increased by half-miles at first.  Then I got braver and increased by more.  Once you get to 8 or so, what's another mile, anyway?

Good luck!  You may surprise yourself!  5 miles is now a fun distance for me - bread and butter.  I never thought I would say that in a million years!

ud32

I used the program last year for my first 1/2. It served me well as I thouroughly enjoyed the race. I was only able to do about 1/2 of the suggested cross training sessions though and found myself taking off the optional "run or cross" day midweek about half of the time as well.

Good Luck !