Half Marathon Trainers

Half Marathon Trainers - June 2009 (Read 746 times)

jules2

Not had time to post as been busy / injured recently but things are looking up and I'm looking at the local half on the 11th October to improve my lifetime PB ( currently 1:29:25 )

All I need to do now is sit down and plan my schedule my problem being I only really have time for serious training in the Winter!

Yesterday I ran my fastest ever 10K in 40:47 so its looking good I just need to get the distance up.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

Teresa, I'm sorry to hear about your son, but as Simon said, it's an expereince that will help build character.  Been to enough track meets to see it happen and know that this is why they run the events. 

So your streak ended, Sounds like you were ready for a rest any way.

Don't know too much about the HM in NH except it's called the Applefest and it's in Hollis NH.  Where is yours in Oct? 

Ran 5 miles pain free on Sun (my son and I ran together for Father's day) Still taking it easy and not being lazy and not running very much.  Got to get my MoJo back and get back into full swing. 

Catch you all later.

Larry

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Wonderful 10k time, Jules! Nicely done.

Larry, glad to hear you and your son got together, take it easy with the injury.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Larry, glad to hear you and your son got together, take it easy with the injury.

It's special because I started running 6 years ago to surprise him and run in a race with him before he went back to college.  He had no idea I was running and didn't even know when the race started that I was running.   So now it's becoming a tradition on Fathers day, that we get together and go for a run. 

Leg is holding on okay, not 100%, but not so bad I can't run relatively pain free.  More so, I'm keeping it wrapped during running for protection and purchased a compression sleeve to wear during the day.  Seems to help a lot and I did 6.5 miles last night. 

Everyone have a good weekend (looks like it's going to be another wet one here in CT)

Larry

LPH

Teresadfp

One day at a time

We had a fun vacation in Bar Harbor, but I didn't run as much as I meant to.  I did get in a nice 9.7 mile on the carriage roads around Eagle Lake and Witch Hole Pond.  The boys went off on their own, on rented mountain bikes, and DD11 rode her bike close to me (she waited for me at intersections).  Wow, I saw a lot of out-of-shape people on bicycles!  I bet most of them didn't know what they were getting themselves in for.  Those trails aren't exactly flat!  I played leapfrog with some of them, because they took a lot of breaks.

Larry, my HM is in Hampton (Smutty Nose HM).

DS is doing better.  He did VERY well on his 2nd SAT attempt.  Whoo hoo!  According to HStreet (Karen, a RA regular who knows about these things), good enough for Ivy League!  The kid who usually doesn't test very well because he goes slowly blew the test out of the water. 

Yes, I'm still trying to get back into full swing myself!  I may try to follow the schedule the XC coach gave my younger son for his freshman year of running.

Time to start packing - I can't believe we're going up to our camp on Sunday!  Who planned back-to-back weeks of vacation, anyway??

Nice morning run for me today, at 9:00 am! Already 72 degrees  F or 22C(anadian.)

Glad you had a nice vacation, Teresa.

My son made the Dean's Honour Roll, so we are very pleased. One of his profs has described an unsolved math problem to him and given him a couple of books written about it, and is suggesting this might make a good thesis topic. So I am hoping this will persuade him to stay at the university he is at now because it is only a couple of miles from my work. (It's also a big university, over 50,000 students, and well regarded academically.)

He had been looking at overseas universities, but while we don't want to hold him back we would prefer he stay local- selfish reasons mostly.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

4 miles this morning.  Felt hard!

Cool about your son, Simon!  Wouldn't that be neat to solve a math problem like that?!?  You son sounds like mine!  He would enjoy a challenging puzzle.

Packing is still calling!!

IMKY13 finish!!

but I may not streak for a little while.  We'll see!

Wasn't streaking popular in the 70's? 

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles

Ringmaster

I am hoping my kids are as successful as yours when they get older--for now, my dd (5) is enjoying reading and I'm encouraging that, hoping it will fuel future academic success. Her pre-K teacher asked about getting her tested for the gifted class, something that would involve IQ-like testing, but at her age my dh and I think it's probably best to leave her in a regular classroom. She's never even been IN a regular classroom, really. She's reading very well, though, and just today I got her some chapter books because she seems to be getting bored with the See Spot Run books we'd been getting before.

Our visit to the NC mountains was fantastic. It was good to be with dh all day, and though he didn't catch any fish, he did unwind from a stressful few months at work, and he needed it. The kids rode their bikes everywhere; we got to see some Cherokee Indians do traditional crafts and dancing, and even drove a few miles along the Blue Ridge Parkway. I ran a little inside the KOA where we were staying, about 15 miles on the week. I couldn't believe how easy running was--though I had to run in loops because the road outside the campground was absolutely unsafe (had no shoulders; I'd have been in the river in a second!), even though I was at an altitude of almost 4000 ft, according to them, I was running without much trouble and even at about a minute faster than I do here--and this even though I got up much later than I do here--about three hours later! I was running in the full light of the sun, in mid 60s, with sunglasses on, and just loving life, not stopping for water due to heat or thirst, and running so easy. The last time I went to the NC mountains I couldn't finish a mile for lack of breath. I couldn't believe the difference, and I'm still checking websites convinced the altitude must be wrong.

It was incredibly difficult to get up today and face a pre-dawn run in the upper 70s, with 89% humidity. No sunglasses today, folks. Just a tough run, knowing that this is what it is to run in Florida, from about May until September. (And that it's my trade off for not having to wear six layers from November until February. Understood.)

Good to hear from you all. One more day to stack in a few more miles this half of the year . . .

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                    Mile by Mile

Vixi, Great to hear that you had a great time.  Maybe the improved running was just due to the fact that you were stress free, relaxed and enoying everything!

As for kids, they all turn out different.  I have three, 25, 26 and 31 and they are nothing alike (well except two are accountants) Don't measure success by their tributes and triumphs, but by the people they become. 

Teresa. Sound slike you had a great time as well.  I have a friend that retired and lives up on Eagle Lake and has been after me to come up for years.  just a really long drive for where I am in CT.  Hope you new vacation was just as much fun 

Larry

LPH