Half Marathon Trainers

Joe's Army - March On or Retreat?? (Read 957 times)

Joe,

Thanks for keeping the forum running where ever you have been.  I am grateful for all the help in completing my first and second HM.  I have been using this site for logging my runs etc. so if it is easier and more comfortable, I am for staying.  But I would like to stay with the gang.

Melody

Prince of Fatness

Joe, I have been here since the first active meltdown.  I will say the only thing you have to watch here is a handful of people that view this site as their backyard.  It is a very egocentric culture here, but I think the first wave influx from CR prepared most of the old-time RAers to deal with a more diverse culture.  I can tell you that I was not exactly welcomed here, and sadly a bunch of former CR posters also left this site to pursue either other interests or greener running site pastures.  It happens. You do have kinship here with the few of us still around from the first wave, but feel free to do as you wish. 

Yeah I remember there were a few tense moments back then.  On one side you had a small community in RA that was comfortable in their environment.  One the other side you had a bunch of people from CR that were angry that Active pretty much ruined the good thing that they had and were trying to find a home.  Some of the RA folks got resentful and overprotective, and some of the CR folks got a little pushy wanting to change the place so it was more like the old CR.  There was plenty of blame to go around.  It all got worked out though for the most part.  I came from CR and really like this place.

If you guys want to stay I think you will feel welcome here.  Take some time to integrate yourself and see how the place works.  As far as running goes just from my experience there is a wealth of information here.

If you decide to go back to Active, that's OK too.  Good luck either way.

Not at it at all. 

runlongrunfast

Hey Joe,

I will follow the group whatever the decision.  I do like the active site and this site it great so far!  I am not sure how to vote. Smile  i will email you ...

betty

JoeInTX

Eric - Thanks for the welcome and pointing out some of the features on your site.  It really runs very well, pun intended!  Oh and the term Joe's Army is a term coined by your very own Larry (lph53).  

Melody - Seems we have most of the group here!  Hopefully the remaining few will trickle in.

MrPHinNJ - Thanks for the welcome.  Nah, we're not pushy, we usually keep to a weekly friendly supportive thread.  However we do welcome/encourage newcomers (both to the site and to running).

Joe

Gone all jock on y'all.

I like it here. 

I hated all the emails from threads clogging my yahoo email, and the only way to make it stop was opting out through the thread, which meant opening (an often slow) thread just to click a button.  Yuck.

This is very easy to use.

But I must admit, I think culturally we need to perhaps make a shift - it's nearly impossible to do shout-outs with so many people posting.  Can't we have a shout out thread or something? or can Eric make a livechat for us? I always feel guilty for not shouting out.  And then when I do, I know I'm missing someone. 

I is runnink! Lil Rhody Runaround - 8 miles 11/22/09 Charlestown RI 2010 Aspirin' to: Cox 1/2 Marathon, Providence RI. Shad 10K trail race, Block Island, RI. More stuff, then AMICA full marathon October 2010! Ran a bunch this year, including my first 1/2 October 18th, 2009. Yay!

Joe - as mailed to you, I'll follow wherever the army decides to go to war Smile I do have to admit though, the more time I spend on this site, the more I like it!

Anj - don't worry about the shout outs... just post what you can and what you want! I love to read them when I have time, but don't always. I promise we wont take it personnally if you don't reply Smile

29/04/2012 Milton Keynes Marathon: 3:42:06

21/02/2010 Sussex Beacon Half Marathon: 1:51:30

I will also follow the group.  That being said this sure is nice and can add my training log with the garmin

PR's Komen 5k Sept. 2009 21:11 Badgerland Striders HM Aug 2009 1:37 Boston Marathon  April 2011 3:29 BQ

My vote is to stay here at RA.

I have become very comfortable here, there are some great characters to get to know, and the site has been superbly reliable in the couple of years I have been posting and keeping my log here.

Finally, I once wanted to submit a post I thought might be a bit controversial, so emailed Eric to discuss with him before posting, and got a prompt response with usable guidelines. He seems much more of a real person than "Active Sue" or whatever they hide behind at the other site. I am not sure why this matters, but it does- at least to me.

Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

I'm not eligible to vote but would like to say "welcome" to the CR/Active folks. It's great to read your posts!

I was new to RA in April, after following a link from Google thru CR to get here (go figure!), and am new to this group this month. I don't know the history or the players/runners/egos but I will say I have been warmly welcomed and greatly helped on the main board and here in the HM group. Like Mr PH; I wish you good luck where ever you end up but I personally hope you stay.

2017 Goals
                    1) Run more than 231 miles
                    2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

Thinking twice again today after the stick we have had for just asking about putting a ticker in to the footer (excluding Eric who has been very accomodating and is doing a great job trying to keep the peace)

I have to say I am not sure I want to venture much outside our thread if we will be shouted down for voicing an opinion! I'm all up for debate, but I think a few individuals took it beyond that... having said that, it was individuals and the majority of people have been very welcoming!

Thanks Joe for sticking up for me Smile

Thinking twice again today after the stick we have had for just asking about putting a ticker in to the footer (excluding Eric who has been very accomodating and is doing a great job trying to keep the peace)

Happier again now... guess I was having a bad morning Smile Sorry for the vent!

redleaf

I'm not eligible to vote but would like to say "welcome" to the CR/Active folks. It's great to read your posts!

I was new to RA in April, after following a link from Google thru CR to get here (go figure!), and am new to this group this month. I don't know the history or the players/runners/egos but I will say I have been warmly welcomed and greatly helped on the main board and here in the HM group. Like Mr PH; I wish you good luck where ever you end up but I personally hope you stay.

Ditto - I was introduced to RA shortly after I started running last year. Sorry if there has been some mis-communication but I do wish you luck whereever you choose to go.

It's a bit overwhelming to jump into the weekly thread but I'll keep dipping toes in every once in a while . Probably more likely though in December once my 10k training is over and the 1/2 training begins.

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

JoeInTX

Cara - You're welcome.   I noticed you removed your ticker from your 1/2... post too.  I think as long as you keep it within our thread you'll be fine.  Eric had said he had removed the ability because he didn't want people's sigs to be bigger than their posts, however your posts usually are at least 10 times as big!     Also when some of the others were saying how they didn't like graphics overtaking text, I was going to say something about some of the avatar pics, but decided I'd better not add anymore fuel to the fire.   Glad you feel better.  Yes overall we have had a pretty good welcome here at RunningAhead! 

Redleaf - Thanks, we like it here, no worries on the mis-communication.  Hope you keep right on dipping!  

MattJ - Thanks for the welcome, hope you join us on the thread too.

Joe

Snowman

I have to say, I can't see thinking about moving back to Active yet seeing as their site rarely works.  It takes me 10 minutes to log in there now.  I noticed some of the group has moved back over to Active and started a thread there.  It sucks the group might be breaking apart but I can't see using a site that doesn't work.  Active is making promises for our own group and this and that but if nothing works......what's the point?  I don't think there should be a debate at the moment til Active gets their site actually working.

But I agree with some, the people on Active were much nicer.  I've gotten some very blunt and about rude people on here right away as I think we all have thinking we are "invading" their site.  Give me a break!!!  Lots of people just want to compare times and trash talk.  Not what our group is about! 

I will outrun the storm and run faster than horses

eric :)

Hi CaraH, Snowman79 and company,

Despite what you experienced, RA is a friendly place.  This type of reaction is inevitable when a large group of people move into an established community.  You don't have this problem on Active because only one or two people join your group at a time.  It is much easier for a few to adjust to a group than for two groups of similar sizes to get along.

When it comes down to it, people don't like change.  You're on a new site, it's not what you're used to.  It'll take a week or a month for everyone to settle down and settle in.  If you have children and you move to a new neighbhorhood, your kids will say they like their old neighborhood better because that's what they're used to.  Soon enough, they'll discover that the kids in the new neigborhood are just as cool and fun as their old friends.

RA has gone through a similar upheavel two years ago when Active botched the Cool Running integration.  A large group of users came to RA and called it home ever since.  If we can resolve our differences then, we can surely do it again.

eric Smile