Half Marathon Trainers

HMT - May 2011 (Read 689 times)

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

short run for me tomorrow then off to taste wine Big grin

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:
    Run the 75km Hillary Trail in a day (done 10/3/2012)

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Been awhile since I posted here, so apologies, but its been that kind of month, with many interruptions and aborted running plans! sigh. 

@red - no close in halves planned at the moment. Getting to hot in central TX and my training hasn't been the greatest. Current target then is to race in the fall. Either the Fort Worth half in Nov

@MattJ - My son likes Delhi but is not so crazy about Hyderabad. He spent 5 years in Singapore and his family loved that. DIL is not crazy about Hyderabad. Hard to describe what they encountered. Areas of growth, with sidewalks and paved streets alongside abject poverty with open sewers, no pavement and paper shacks. The expats they met like it but mostly stay to the western style "enclaves" and have drivers take them between enclaves. We visited Singapore a number of times but have been warned not to plan on visiting Hyderabad. My son is a marathoner and I'm not sure how he will continue to train. It will take awhile for the facility he'll be building has its workout center available. That said expat life can be very rewarding. Son and DIL have many friends from Singapore that they stay in contact with. I hope you negotiate some long weekends to allow you to travel the area as well as East Asia, and Europe. Son and kids enjoy Indian food, as do I, but DIL does not. Hope they get a good cook!

- just saw latest post MattJ - ya'll are certainly welcome back to DFW. Heck they let this ex-yankee into the state back in 2003 and haven't thrown me out yet. But I did have to serve 12 years in Atlanta to get acclimated! LOL

@Larry - sorry to hear about the family medical issues. A tough situation to deal with to say the least. I wish you luck on being able to come back as a contractor after retirement. I moved as part of my retirement and the department I worked for has a director who is not up on telecommuting so not likely to get any work out of them now that I've been gone 6 months. Am also not sure I want any normal work hours anyway. btw: I'm also an Engineer but have had a number of career changes within the engineering field. Starting as an Aeronautical Engineer and migrating thru managerial and technical positions in commercial and defense companies winding up as a software/systems engineer in a logistics data quality organization. Hope the running continues to improve. For me its mental as well as medical health these days! btw: I lived in Enfield (Hamilton Standard) from 72-79 and Orange from 86-89 (GE Corporate Engineering). CT is one of our favorite states. DIL is from CT and Son graduated HS, Uconn (EE) and Yale school of management (on his tab!). We have strong ties to the state.

@Francis/@CM - I have to ditto MT and say that training by time instead of miles is a great idea. It takes a lot of pressure off of wanting to run/jog to fast in order to get the mileage in. I had fewer injuries once I switched from mileage based training to time based training.

My training has sucked of late. To many family interruptions. DD2 has suffered severe hormonally induced side effects (Postpartum Psychosis)  from the early deliver of the twin boys in Feb. Has been hospitalized twice resulting in DW and I doing a lot of twin watching (worth it but worrisome and inhibits planned runs). It looks like they've gotten the meds straight and we might be getting back to a new normal which should allow me to run most mornings as I had been planning. The long run I posted earlier in the month was the last long one I got in. Most runs have been shorter, time and energy constrained events.

Keep on keeping on folks! 

bob e v
      2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Ran again today after being a slacker all week- 5k easy followed b y 5k tempo, warm temperatures but felt alright. My tempo pace is not what it used to be!

Good news from my son, one week to getting his masters degree in pure math.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

congrats to your son Simon - thats a huge achievement.

hopefully all well with the new DD meds bobev.  such a difficult time, especially I'm sure with twins.  

vinodrinker - that dpes not sound too unusual for you (given the name).  you'd be shocked i'm sure - i'm sat here drinking alcohol free wine.  it is pretty dire, but at least i wont have a hnagover to worry about tomorrow i guess!

great XC race yesterday, and just 2 weeks to the next half now (Christchurch). training is going very well, and i'm feeling pretty good!

Bobev, sorry to hear about your daughter`s health problems- I hope she recovers soon.

Mandy you are really doing the miles, no wonder you are running so well recently- good job!

I just wanted to explain my new avatar- it is Donald Campbell`s boat K7 on Coniston water before his attempt on the World Speed Record. As a teenager I found his quest for speed exciting- a brave man.

Long weekend for us in Canada, time for running and gardening!

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Bobev, I hope your daughter sees some improvement soon. She's lucky to have such a good support system to help with those twins. Smile

Just got back from my long run. It went pretty well I though although it was pretty hot and humid in the first half of the run before it clouded over and the wind started to pick up. It's the first run of the year I've carried water and I was glad to have it. I think I'm starting to get the mental shift back about the long run and it's not feeling so daunting. I'm only doing 10K long runs, but my consistency is good this month. 3 weeks to my 10K race and I'm really hoping to improve my PR. Smile 

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

congrats to your son Simon - thats a huge achievement.

hopefully all well with the new DD meds bobev.  such a difficult time, especially I'm sure with twins.  

vinodrinker - that dpes not sound too unusual for you (given the name).  you'd be shocked i'm sure - i'm sat here drinking alcohol free wine.  it is pretty dire, but at least i wont have a hnagover to worry about tomorrow i guess!

great XC race yesterday, and just 2 weeks to the next half now (Christchurch). training is going very well, and i'm feeling pretty good!

Mandy. I have cut back on wine to one bottle shared a week - unless there is a special tasting, work dinner, birthday, anniversary or celebration..or unless i feel like one  Big grin

Wife has been in hospital so hard week last week but I still managed to do 35km over the week,  Also bought the shoes I will run the marathon in which I am really happy with - Got some New Balance 890's.

Had a stunning 7km run with one of my daughters yesterday in the sun at the beach without a breath of wind. 7km in 35 minutes...my goal marathon pace (at this stage) 5 mins/km

Got a 25km scheduled for this weekend, wonder how that will go!?

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:

Vino- I hope your wife is ok. Nice pace for the 7kms, was it on the sand.

Bobev, you are really dedicating a lot of time to your running-fitness-health goals- good job!

Sunday cross training, holiday Monday 8kms with the last one fast.

Beginner all over again

I'm noticing my pace seems to improve (at the same HR/effort) when I do get all Five Days running in during the week, so I'm aiming to do that again this week.

I train by minutes and keep the same training plan for three weeks before increasing it.

These next 3 weeks will be

Medium.....Light.... Medium.....Light....off......Long Run........off

.....60..........30...........60.............30...................90, 60, 100..........

I'm really starting to build some time on my feet here.

The HM distance seems Really Far to me though! Wink

I train really slow still so I don't cover much distance yet

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Vino- I hope your wife is ok. Nice pace for the 7kms, was it on the sand.

Bobev, you are really dedicating a lot of time to your running-fitness-health goals- good job!

Sunday cross training, holiday Monday 8kms with the last one fast.

Simon, no mostly footpath and road, but just a great place to run on a calm so called winters day.  It hasn't started to get cold here. Still knocking around the 17-20oC area so running is still quite warm.

Struggling this week to get decent runs in with work and home taxing at the moment but have a 25km run lined up for Sunday.  Some very wet weather forecast for the next day or so as well wont help :-(

Personal Race Records:

2012 Goals:

Another best wishes for your wife vino - hope everything is ok. 

Last tempo before Chch Half today - 8k in 34.11 so pretty much spot on my hoped for half marathon pace.  Still no idea how I'm supposed to do that for another 13k.

Loves the outdoors

Another best wishes for your wife vino - hope everything is ok. 

Last tempo before Chch Half today - 8k in 34.11 so pretty much spot on my hoped for half marathon pace.  Still no idea how I'm supposed to do that for another 13k.

That makes me feel so much better Mandy as I've been thinking the same thing about some of my pace runs! At least it's not just me!  Good luck in ChCh.

Vino - I hope your wife is better!

Frances - Looks like you are making good progress!

I've found a new person to run with! She's heaps faster than me, but her easy run will match a tempo and she's in early marathon training and wants more time on her feet. Yay!

One day I decided I wanted to become a runner, so I did.

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Thanks for your thoughts guys. Wife is ok - well seems ok anyway, hopefully tomorrow I will find out more.  Nice pace Mandy

I had a big night out last night with work so just a 4.5km easy run today but felt surprisingly good. Early night tonight and then off the drink altogether for at least a week.  I hardly ever have more than a 2 or 3 wines these days so the 8 or 9 and whisky's last night was probably a dumb idea - but it was free so..

Anyway see below, the deed is done, my first ever marathon entry.  Never run more than 25km in my life beofre so it is going to be interesting to say the least?!! Big grin.  Now I need a half to use as a build up though I am not going to try to peak for it instead try to use it for training and negative spilt it.

Personal Race Records:

2012 Goals:

Loves the outdoors

Go Vino   Craig !  I still can't imagine running that far.

One day I decided I wanted to become a runner, so I did.

Anyway see below, the deed is done, my first ever marathon entry.  Never run more than 25km in my life beofre so it is going to be interesting to say the least?!! Big grin.  Now I need a half to use as a build up though I am not going to try to peak for it instead try to use it for training and negative spilt it.

Nice! I need to do the same thing-just sign up for one and make it happen.

Matt-big race this weekend?