Half Marathon Trainers

HMT - August 2011 (Read 822 times)

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Fantastic Vino... and all you other long distance veterans.

Now I've only done 5 long runs, but when will they seem more comfortable ( less painful)? I know I was pushing it to get ready for a half in only 13 weeks, but feel I've done a decent job of training so far. I started feeling self doubt on this mornings long run though. The first 6 miles was fine, but it got tough for the last 2.5. Can I expect  an easier go before my early October race, or do I just need to HTFU for the next  7 weeks?

Yes definitely.  My first 2x 30km training runs I struggled at the end but my 4th and 5th were pretty comfortable. Just teach your body to run far. You don't have to feel good while doing it to achieve that.  The feeling good comes later

Good luck, head down, bum up and just do the miles - nice and easy pace, keep injury free!

Oh and PS. I am no veteran, I am a novice.  i have only run 2x Half Marathons in my life and I am training for my 1st Marathon. Big grin

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:
    Run the 75km Hillary Trail in a day (done 10/3/2012)

Fantastic Vino... and all you other long distance veterans.

Now I've only done 5 long runs, but when will they seem more comfortable ( less painful)? I know I was pushing it to get ready for a half in only 13 weeks, but feel I've done a decent job of training so far. I started feeling self doubt on this mornings long run though. The first 6 miles was fine, but it got tough for the last 2.5. Can I expect  an easier go before my early October race, or do I just need to HTFU for the next  7 weeks?

I don't think these will get any easier if you continue to make the long run longer without building up your other miles.  And in fact I think at the level you are at (long run in the 40-50% of weekly mileage) you are probably in the injury risk category.

You need a couple more shorter runs to be supporting your long run.  Aim for your long run to be no more than 25-30% of your total miles.  Once you've got that sorted, and your legs get used to the whole idea then yes it will get easier.  Until then I suspect you will always struggle with the long run.

And yes I think you are doing a very decent job of training so far.  Very nice and consistent.  Keep up the good work!

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Lakerunner, the other thing I would suggest as well as you get to the longer runs is to test gels or sport beans or anything like that if you want to use them on race day. Some people can do a half without anything but water. Some people like to use Gu or other emergy boosts. I did my first half without anything other than a weak mix of Powerade (sport drink) and water in my water bottle. This time I'm training using Sharkies bc I think I think (whether it's mental or not doesn't matter) they help me in the later miles. It's something you need to figure out on your own before race day.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Thanks all for the tips. I will be taking it easier for a week or two as I head to Iceland tomorrow and won't be doing a long run there, just a bunch of shorter runs and lots of hiking. That's why I pushed to get a long run in today before leaving. Believe me, I'm trying to keep from getting injured! This forum has been so helpful - thank you, thank you!

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

I don't think these will get any easier if you continue to make the long run longer without building up your other miles.  And in fact I think at the level you are at (long run in the 40-50% of weekly mileage) you are probably in the injury risk category.

You need a couple more shorter runs to be supporting your long run.  Aim for your long run to be no more than 25-30% of your total miles.  Once you've got that sorted, and your legs get used to the whole idea then yes it will get easier.  Until then I suspect you will always struggle with the long run.

And yes I think you are doing a very decent job of training so far.  Very nice and consistent.  Keep up the good work!

Agree with Mandy.  My serious run weekend I try to prelude with 4x 10km runs in a row.  Works for me

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:
            Run the 75km Hillary Trail in a day (done 10/3/2012)

Lakerunner - I've got nothing more to add on the advice you have already been given. It's solid, as is your training. Anecdotally, I will say that right now my long runs are over 40% of my  weekly total and they are not the most comfortable. You've got a few more weeks, you'll get there. Keep it up.

For me the TX heatwave rolls on. We will break the record on Saturday. This weekend's long run was a hot one, 10 miles in the sunshine and 85F temps, in prep for the "race" on Sunday.  The race will be hotter. Goal time is sub 2:12 (as long as it stays below 90F) . I'm in VA this week, up near DC, so hope to get a couple of cooler runs in before the weekend.

Mandy, how did you get on at Wellington Road Champs?

Stay cool y'all

2017 Goals
              1) Run more than 231 miles
              2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

Going to DC to get "cooler"...guess it's all relative, but bleh, sounds miserable all the way round to me. You're nuts (in a good way) to be racing in Dallas in August.

On the other hand, lakerunner, running in Iceland sounds awesome (if challenging). Hope you're having fun.

Personally, having a good August so far, running feeling as strong as ever and body adjusting to higher mileage pretty well. Practicing different things on the LR's (eating, drinking, diff paces). High comedy trying to open a granola bar - a 4 minute exercise with impossibly sweaty hands at HM pace, before I tore at with my teeth to get the wrapper off - then nearly choking trying to eat it on the run. Fun stuff.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

an amazing likeness

Practicing different things on the LR's (eating, drinking, diff paces). High comedy trying to open a granola bar - a 4 minute exercise with impossibly sweaty hands at HM pace, before I tore at with my teeth to get the wrapper off - then nearly choking trying to eat it on the run. Fun stuff.

My first marathon was also my first race, I had no experience dealing with chips, starting chutes, water stations, etc.  I'd read about it all, but no actual experience.

Well...turns out at about mile 16 they had a "candy station" as part of the water stop.  Thinking that something in my mouth would be refreshing and a good thing overall, I grabbed a couple of those little cellophane-wrapped tubes of "smarties"  (sweet-tart disk thingies) Now, if there is one thing you can NOT get done with sweaty, wet, Gatorade-covered hands -- it is opening a tight wrapping of cellophane.  I worked on it for a good mile or more, I must have looked like one of those bears in a zoo they entertain by giving them a big ice block to play with.

Finally in frustration, I just put into my mouth thinking that I'd bit it open, and then spit out the cellophane wrapper....that was until I took my next breath and inhaled the wrapper...which lead to a massive gagging and coughing fit at the side of the road.

Oh...good times.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Mandy, how did you get on at Wellington Road Champs?

I was 7th - a new 10k PR but not quite as quick as I'd hoped. 41.10 Then ran a 5k PR on Tuesday, 19.27. Happier with that :-)
                      I was 7th - a new 10k PR but not quite as quick as I'd hoped. 41.10 Then ran a 5k PR on Tuesday, 19.27. Happier with that :-)

Sweet! Nice work.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                      We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Fantastic times for both races, Mandy! Really a reward you deserve for all your hard work.

Sorry I have not been around much lately- I also have not been running much. In part this is because my sister died of brain cancer on July 30th. and I have not been in the mood. I have also had some family responsibilities related to this- anyway I have the comfort of knowing she lived a very full life and had experiences most people will never get the chance to enjoy.

I will try to check in more regularly, good running to you all!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Oh Simon - I'm so sorry to hear that.  I hope you are as ok as possible, and have friends and family around to support you.  Make sure you take care of yourself too.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Oh Simon - I'm so sorry to hear that.  I hope you are as ok as possible, and have friends and family around to support you.  Make sure you take care of yourself too.

x2. *hugs* Simon. That really puts my worries about training into perspective.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Thanks, your sympathy is appreciated.

Fortunately I was able to drive down to visit her with my son last month, and was prepared for the bad news.

I have been keeping active whipping my large and overgrown yard into shape, and done some cycling, so not all my fitness is lost- I hope!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Simon, sorry for your loss.

Mandy, great stuff. Does that mean you are NY bound or is that after Nationals?

"Hottest Half" for me today. No need for a detailed race report. It's mid August in TX! It was 87F, humid as anything and the "race" was a complete run/walk death march for me after Mile 7. I got round in 2:16 but my heart was not in it today. I could make a bunch of excuses (HRM left at home, only about 5 hours sleep the night before the race, spent too much time the day before the race moving furniture) but the reality was I was under-trained for the pace I went out at given the conditions.... but, there was free beer at the end! Blush

Time to put that one behind me. It was not a goal race and it served its purpose of giving me something to train for during the relocation and over the summer. 20k race in 5 weeks time... hope it cools off before then.

2017 Goals
                                1) Run more than 231 miles
                                2) Be ready for  HM in the spring