Half Marathon Trainers

Ryan Hall Training program (Read 3082 times)

Marquess of Utopia

Anyone else try this program: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-244-258-12006-0,00.html I used it for my first half marathon in 9 years, and I thought was great. After the race I rested the following week, then jumped into week 7 to gear up for a 20K on May 31st. My favorite workout in this program is the Race sim, I feel really tired after the workout, but not completely depleted.
    Teresadfp

One day at a time

Thanks, Joe! I'm going to give it a try.

Right on Hereford...

I am in Week 4, training for Chicago on September 14. Man, yesterday's workout nearly killed me! 1x2mi at 10k pace, 2x1mi at 5k pace, 2x800 at slightly faster than 5k pace. Can't say I made all the paces that I wanted... This is a tough program, if you ask me!

Marquess of Utopia

I am in Week 4, training for Chicago on September 14. Man, yesterday's workout nearly killed me! 1x2mi at 10k pace, 2x1mi at 5k pace, 2x800 at slightly faster than 5k pace. Can't say I made all the paces that I wanted... This is a tough program, if you ask me!
          I used the long program; shorter recovery times but the pace is slower. 1x2mi at 1/2 pace, 2x1mi at 10k pace, 2x800 at 5k pace
            I'm in week 5. Damn this is a tough program. I've hit all my times but a tempo AND interval each week along with a long run (up to 16 miles) really pushes the limits. I can't say if I feel this is a good program or not yet. After my half in Hartford on Oct. 11th I will give my opinion. But so far, so good. It's just nice to run fast again as day after day of easy runs can get kinda monotonous.

Right on Hereford...

Okay, now that I've completed my half, I am a TOTAL BELIEVER in this program! It was tough, but man, I exceeded even my "pipe dream" goal of breaking 1:25 (came in at 1:24:26). For reference, even the most optimistic race predictors gave me a time of 1:27:20 based on my best recent race. Also, I have never come close to my "predicted" race times at longer distances in the past, so I always thought the 5k and 10k were my best distances. That all changed in Chicago... Smile Race report here: http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/e8524b9e83c347c69a81e1e930856dc8 I am definitely going to use this program again for my next half. Some notes... - I was running an average of 4 days and 29 miles per week before starting this program. - Just before starting the program, I stepped it up to running 6 days a week. - I jumped into the program in week 2. - Excluding the last two taper weeks, I averaged 44 miles per week during the program. - The program has two options: Short and Long. I generally used the Short plan, but my long runs were based on the Long plan. - I often added a few extra miles to daily workouts and long runs. - I always ran on days listed as "Off, XT, or easy run of 30-45 minutes." - Mondays were my only days off. - I did two races during the program. The first was a 5k that replaced my tempo workout in week 5. The second was a 15k that replaced my "Race-Sim" workout in week 6. I felt that the 15k race was just about the PERFECT training race for the half marathon, and the timing was perfect, too. By the way, Chaloo, how's it going now? You should be in week 7 or 8, right? Which race are you doing, and what's your goal?
                Okay, now that I've completed my half, I am a TOTAL BELIEVER in this program! It was tough, but man, I exceeded even my "pipe dream" goal of breaking 1:25 (came in at 1:24:26). For reference, even the most optimistic race predictors gave me a time of 1:27:20 based on my best recent race. Also, I have never come close to my "predicted" race times at longer distances in the past, so I always thought the 5k and 10k were my best distances. That all changed in Chicago... Smile Race report here: http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/e8524b9e83c347c69a81e1e930856dc8 I am definitely going to use this program again for my next half. Some notes... - I was running an average of 4 days and 29 miles per week before starting this program. - Just before starting the program, I stepped it up to running 6 days a week. - I jumped into the program in week 2. - Excluding the last two taper weeks, I averaged 44 miles per week during the program. - The program has two options: Short and Long. I generally used the Short plan, but my long runs were based on the Long plan. - I often added a few extra miles to daily workouts and long runs. - I always ran on days listed as "Off, XT, or easy run of 30-45 minutes." - Mondays were my only days off. - I did two races during the program. The first was a 5k that replaced my tempo workout in week 5. The second was a 15k that replaced my "Race-Sim" workout in week 6. I felt that the 15k race was just about the PERFECT training race for the half marathon, and the timing was perfect, too. By the way, Chaloo, how's it going now? You should be in week 7 or 8, right? Which race are you doing, and what's your goal?
                Dakota, NICE race man! Great to hear positive results from this program. The training for me is going great. PR's a VERY hilly 10K last week and I have 2 weeks left until the Hartford Half. I followed the long program very close. Outside of the next two weeks (taper) I have averaged right around 37 MPW which is almost 15 MPW over my prior average. My current weight is 202.5 so I think I'm going to shoot for the top Clyde finish. Don't think I can run a sub 1:25 like you but I don't think a sub 1:35 is out of the question. Again, congrats on the great race!

Double IPA Please!

I printed this plan out and I am thinking about trying it for my next half in November. However, would I just add miles if I want to log higher mileage? I'd like to reach 45 and then sit there for awhile and his plan does not hit 40 even- at least not that I noticed, I only glanced quickly at it. I need to look at it again some more before Monday when I start training again.

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Shipping is always free with me!! :-)

It peaks at 46 (on the long program). I think you could always add a little here and a little there to get you where you want to be. Do a 2mile warm up and 2 mile cool down as opposed to just 1. For me the scheduled milage worked right into my fitness. I think if you just follow the long, intervals, and tempos closely the use the rest of your miles (45, 50, 55) as easy ones. Just my opinion.

Prince of Fatness

Do a 2mile warm up and 2 mile cool down as opposed to just 1.
                      This is what I do, pad front and back with easy miles. I will say to Denise that this plan is pretty aggressive, so make sure you take your easy days easy so you recover. I PR'd this spring pretty much on mileage alone, and am recognize the fact that I am going to need to add some quality workouts in at some point to bring my times down more. Anyone have any thoughts on whether this plan is applicable to folks my age an older (45)? I'm finding now that I can do the workouts, but need more time to recover than say, 10 years ago. MTA: Great result Dakota, and good luck Chaloo.

Not at it at all. 

Double IPA Please!

The only thing that Im trying to understand and figure out is the Tuesday Speed Sessions. Its a little much for my brain to absorb. Big grin I mean I know what it is asking, but having only run 2 10milers and 1 Half Im not sure of my paces for a 10k or a 5k. Im doing a 5miler next month but for now - I dont know what my paces are for those other distances. How do I figure that out then?

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Shipping is always free with me!! :-)

The only thing that Im trying to understand and figure out is the Tuesday Speed Sessions. Its a little much for my brain to absorb. Big grin I mean I know what it is asking, but having only run 2 10milers and 1 Half Im not sure of my paces for a 10k or a 5k. Im doing a 5miler next month but for now - I dont know what my paces are for those other distances. How do I figure that out then?
                          Until you have a race I would use McMillen with your September half marathon. This will give you good 5K & 10K times. As you run a faster race, you can use that time to adjust your paces. On the intervals you want to run them "comfortable hard" meaning that at the end you are tired but could run 1 more if you had too. Keep us updated as I'm interested to hear your progression. One other thing I did was just to take the weekly workout and run them on whatever day I felt like running them as opposed to sticking to "Tuesday is interval day". This will allow you to run fast on days you want to run fast, long on days you want to get out there for a few hours and easy on days where you feel off. I think this is the biggest adjustment I made. I get a little crazy when I have every day of my life planned out for a week, never mind 10.

Right on Hereford...

Dakota, NICE race man! Great to hear positive results from this program. The training for me is going great. PR's a VERY hilly 10K last week and I have 2 weeks left until the Hartford Half. I followed the long program very close. Outside of the next two weeks (taper) I have averaged right around 37 MPW which is almost 15 MPW over my prior average. My current weight is 202.5 so I think I'm going to shoot for the top Clyde finish. Don't think I can run a sub 1:25 like you but I don't think a sub 1:35 is out of the question. Again, congrats on the great race!
                            Thanks, Chaloo. Glad to hear your training is going so well! I think a PR 10k is an excellent sign that you're on your way to a new half marathon PR. Your significant increase in weekly mileage is really going to pay off, as well. And man, I can't believe you run so fast as a Clyde! Nice work. I bet you will break 95 minutes.
                            I printed this plan out and I am thinking about trying it for my next half in November. However, would I just add miles if I want to log higher mileage? I'd like to reach 45 and then sit there for awhile and his plan does not hit 40 even- at least not that I noticed, I only glanced quickly at it. I need to look at it again some more before Monday when I start training again.
                            Denise, as I mentioned, I averaged 44 miles per week on this program, regardless of what the "Totals" column says on the schedule. As Chaloo and MrPH mentioned, just add EASY miles wherever they fit. Make sure to hit all the key workouts, though.
                            Anyone have any thoughts on whether this plan is applicable to folks my age an older (45)? I'm finding now that I can do the workouts, but need more time to recover than say, 10 years ago.
                            Well, I'm 38. Not quite 45, I know... I think it has less to do with your age and more to do with your base and how much intensity your body is used to doing. I worried about the same thing, and in fact I had a few workouts during this program where I didn't feel I could make the paces that were specified. I just made sure to run easy on the easy days, and I recovered fine. Your mileage may vary!
                            Denise, looking at your recent races, you could just plug your HM time into a McMillan or Daniels' VDOT calculator and use the paces that it spits out. Or, you could go out and run a mile on the track as fast as you can, and use that time in the calculators. Personally, I'd go with the mile time trial. I suspect you have more speed than you realize, but you'll need to train at those faster paces in order to utilize it in your half marathon.
                              Thanks, Chaloo. Glad to hear your training is going so well! I think a PR 10k is an excellent sign that you're on your way to a new half marathon PR. Your significant increase in weekly mileage is really going to pay off, as well. And man, I can't believe you run so fast as a Clyde! Nice work. I bet you will break 95 minutes. 1:37:30. I'm happy with the results. Took over 4 minutes off my HM PR in less then 6 months with this program. I give it 2 thumbs up.

Prince of Fatness

Congratulations, Chaloo.

Not at it at all.