Half Marathon Trainers

Intrepid Racers - Sept 15 & 16 (Read 15 times)

an amazing likeness

We're getting into the heart of the fall racing season and it's going to be exciting to watch our fellow half marathon trainers put the long hours of logging training on the line in races. 

The simple fact is most of us hobby runners aren't running for 1st place, or even a top-10 finish...we're running against the goals we've set for ourselves, pushing to meet our personal expectations...it's all very...internal. Training miles run alone for the most part, intervals where only the runner knows if the effort was truly 'medium' or 'hard'...aches and pains that, if shared, leave the listener thinking to themselves "...don't you do this to yourself?".  It is at the races where the alone-ness of running becomes the community running, all facing common challenges of the course, the weather, the porta-potty line.

Two big events this weekend on the calendar this weekend as lph53 is on the comeback trail and running his first half since the fall of 20011 (? working from memory....Niantic in the rain as I recall?) .  Zelanie is taking a run (pun intended) at a her 5K PR while keeping her eyes on the real goal of that coming half.

And a wildcat entry for TaraC who is running the Allstate Half in Boston.  Looks like Tara had to pass this one up, not feeling well.

Sep 15 lph53 Surftown Half 13.1 mi Westerly, RI
    Sep 15 Zelanie Halfway to St. Patrick's Day  5K Corvallis, OR

Best wishes for fleet feet, following winds and brisk fall weather to all our racers and trainers for this week.

Go get 'em!

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

MT, great analogy of us common runners, the long lonely hours (most of which I enjoy) and especially the way we talk to ourselves. We could cheat if we wanted to and no one would know but ourselves.  Our goals vary from person to person, but as the great runners we are, we all set goals that are challengeable but at the same time realistic.

My most important goal this weekend is to finish, I've demonstrated I can do it and doing it has been a major accomplishment. When I first set a time goal of 2 hours, I really thought it was a stretch, especially since I didn't even know if I'd be able to go the distance.  I've demonstrated I can do both.  Now it's down to Execution!  Not to let the adrenlin get the best of me and go out too fast, yet can't go out too slow and fighting the crowd to get going and into stride and pace as quickly as possible will be important.

You remembered, pretty correctly that my last Half was Niantic in the rain, only it was 2009 (4 years ago) not 2011 when I PRd @ 1:40:06. Other the 5K I did a week after that HR, I haven't been able to run a race until now.

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

an amazing likeness

You remembered, pretty correctly that my last Half was Niantic in the rain, only it was 2009 (4 years ago) not 2011 when I PRd @ 1:40:06. Other the 5K I did a week after that HR, I haven't been able to run a race until now.

4 years!  I would not have guessed (obviously since I guessed 2011) it was that long ago. I can recall clearly our discussing the course in Rocky Neck, etc, etc and the weather turning to crap for your race. Oh well...the extra years makes your come back all the more impressive.

Larry, I hope that at some point in your race you get to experience the same massive sense of accomplishment and overcoming the odds that I experienced on my first half race coming back....that sense of "I did it....yes, I did" has been one the high points of my life experience, so far. Good luck on Sunday -- enjoy the journey from start to finish. 5mi + 5mi + 5K and you've done it.

Fleet feet racers. May the wind be at your back.

Run, Walk, Crawl, just Finish.

HF # 1189

If you see my other post, you will know that I feel it and am enjoying the journey.

Also in regards to the 5 + 5 + 5K, it's pretty much what I say except no matter what the distance, when I get to only 5K left, I laugh and say it's in the bank, nothing but a simple 5K left.  and that's how I'm going to approach the hill on Sunday, the 10 mile mark is just before it, conquer the hill and cheer and say nothng left but a simple 5K.

I think this is why I chose a HM for my comeback rasther than something simple like a 5K.  I'm not knocking 5Ks, but after running a 20:51 4 years ago, I can say I came, I did and conquewred that and at 56 years old.

Hum,  Maybe next year!

4 years!  I would not have guessed (obviously since I guessed 2011) it was that long ago. I can recall clearly our discussing the course in Rocky Neck, etc, etc and the weather turning to crap for your race. Oh well...the extra years makes your come back all the more impressive.

Larry, I hope that at some point in your race you get to experience the same massive sense of accomplishment and overcoming the odds that I experienced on my first half race coming back....that sense of "I did it....yes, I did" has been one the high points of my life experience, so far. Good luck on Sunday -- enjoy the journey from start to finish. 5mi + 5mi + 5K and you've done it.

LPH

hog4life

Good luck!

redleaf

Fleet feet racers. May the wind be at your back.

what she said. Can't wait to hear about the races

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

Zelanie

So for me, I'm already at the point of my race where there is just a 5K left. Smile  And if I start to feel sorry for myself, I can just think about how awesome LPH's race must be going and that I can surely manage a 5K if he is rocking and rolling in his HM!

Oh, and I already took care of my LR for the week.  HM training does come first.

Good luck Larry and Zelanie!

its nice reading along about your comeback Larry (Especially since I didn't race in 2012 and am "restarting" this year)

Zelanie, you are so enthusiastic - I hope it rubs off on me.

Cheers, A

Recalculating...

One and all thank you, thank you very much.  You have supported me and given me encouragement and strength I needed.  I have posted my race report in the race report sticky.

Larry

LPH

Zelanie

Larry, congratulations!

My official time was 24:25, good enough for 6th OA (out of 29, hehe!), 3rd woman, and 2nd in the 30-39 AG.  So I won a pint glass and a "kiss me I'm Irish" necklace.

But my Garmin says that the course was .15 short.  That wouldn't be a shocker for a small local race, not certified or chip timed, *but* I have run this course before and it's been fine.  But was the starting line up the block last time?  That's what I can't remember.  The map does show some suspicious wobbliness, and a few places where Garmin thinks maybe I was offroading it or threw myself into the river instead of following the path, so who knows.

an amazing likeness

Zelanie -- looking at the map, your Garmin track is off and wandering all over the place. I would trust the course. You should update your log entry to be 5KM against the official time, override the distance from the Garmin.  (really, this is a good idea for every race -- put in the official distance and time...that's what will go down in history...and leave the garmin map)

More importantly...Great job on pacing and taking home the hardware -- that must have been fun!

Larry -- way to rock it. You've got to love the splits in that last 5K...that's a heck of a comeback statement.

Nice job Zelanie!

Run, Walk, Crawl, just Finish.

HF # 1189

Zelanie -- looking at the map, your Garmin track is off and wandering all over the place. I would trust the course. You should update your log entry to be 5KM against the official time, override the distance from the Garmin.  (really, this is a good idea for every race -- put in the official distance and time...that's what will go down in history...and leave the garmin map)

More importantly...Great job on pacing and taking home the hardware -- that must have been fun!

Larry -- way to rock it. You've got to love the splits in that last 5K...that's a heck of a comeback statement.

Thanks MT, that was one kick ass finish and true to my motto of only a 5K to go.

LPH