Half Marathon Trainers

November (Read 448 times)

HappyFeat

Happy November everyone!

October was the second time I've ever exceeded 160 miles - never thought I'd be running the volume I do now.

Vege, I don't have any marathon taper tips since I've never run one. However I have read about lowering the volume in the last couple weeks, but not the quality.  Meaning a short tempo or two in the taper-time would be a good idea. I usually reduce the length of my runs in the week before a HM and I normally don't run the two days just before a race. I haven't a clue what I would do if it were marathon distance.

MT, thanks for posting that lighthouse photo. Glad the storm wasn't worse for you. Hooray for a pain-free run; that's wonderful news. Let the healing continue!

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

vegefrog

160 miles in a month!!! That's so awesome!!!

Yes, that's what I have been hearing lately. Cut the volume, but keep the intensity for at least one run a week during taper. I've adjusted my training plan to reflect doing that. We will see if it works Smile

If not I'll do something different next time, LOL.

I finished off October nicely with a 17km Goldilocks run, not too fast, not too slow, just right!

Started November with 13kms, about 8 miles. I tried to tempo the last 5k but misjudged the pace and had to stop and walk for a minute then finish it off. My pacing recently is horrible- I cannot seem to figure how fit or unfit I am.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

HappyFeat

Here's an inspirational running video I came across last night. I just LOVE it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDec0zBlQ7M&feature=g-hist

Here's an inspirational running video I came across last night. I just LOVE it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDec0zBlQ7M&feature=g-hist

Loved it all... except for one line.... I have been running for 5 years... and my thighs STILL rub together! Joking

Nice vid!

MTA: Pic

2017 Goals
            1) Run more than 231 miles
            2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

October is usually the month I struggle with as the weather gets colder and I've got a bit of a break from races. Not that I run a ton of races. I started this month by signing up for a 5k I've never run (Santa Shuffle) on December 01 in support of the local Salvation Army. It's a fundraiser, but hopefully it'll be fun. I'll have to get a Santa hat and some bells for my shoes.

Today we woke up to ice on our windows and it's so icy out that they aren't even recommending in-city travel. It's black ice everywhere. We had snow Friday, some melting yesterday. It's just a mess out there and I haven't got out for long run yet. I'm at my highest mileage ever for a year so I'm not really sure how this month will go. Maybe I'll keep mileage in the mid-80s or maybe it will drop. Will see.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

vegefrog

That race sounds fun Meg! We have a Reindeer Run here on Dec 1 that I might do. Sounds similar. everyone dresses up and it's an all around good time. BEER afterwards at a local brewery makes it even more fun Wink

It was 82 here yesterday! That made my long run a little harder, but not too bad. Today it's back into the 60s and getting cooler all week long. We normally don't have a great Fall here in the lowcountry, but this years is pretty nice.

I imagine that getting up and heading out in the snow every morning would be a little draining. That would definitely require some mental toughness to get the miles in. I admire you northern runners for your tenacity! When the bed is so warm...and there is ice on the window...I'm not sure I could make myself get out! Smile

an amazing likeness

Quiet in here lately....everyone must be out logging mad miles (and km) and too busy for runningahead.  Or at least, that's the story I'm going with.

Meg certainly lead the parade with her ice storm earlier, but winter weather arrived this week in northern New England...I had to dig around in my 'locker room' piles to find winter layers as runs this week have been in the high 20's and low 30's (F).  Woke up this morning to a few inches of wet, sloppy snow.  Nothing major at all, but sure signs of the season settling in.

Vegefrog & Matt - hope the marathon training is going well for you...that's just such a daunting load of running. Impressive.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Not done much running since my HM. Heading out to do 18km on trail on Sunday at a relaxing pace. I will call it recovery running though I hardly raced the HM!

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:
                    Run the 75km Hillary Trail in a day (done 10/3/2012)

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Happy to say I got out for a 7.3 miler last Sunday on that day that started off so icy. It was mostly really really slushy by the time I got out. It melted and we have no snow. Now we're under a snowfall warning for 15-25cm/6-10" over tonight and tomorrow. Craziness!

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Quiet in here lately....everyone must be out logging mad miles (and km) and too busy for runningahead.  Or at least, that's the story I'm going with.

I'm here! ... but it has kind of been a bit like that! Big grin

Weather here is great for running right now (sorry Meg, MT & Simon!!!) and the Marathon training is going OK - not spectacular but steady.

To be honest the hardest run of the week for me is the mid week semi-long run. Up at 5:45 am for a 5 miler is fine but up at 5:00 am for 9 miles is crossing a line that has me struggling to haul myself out of my pit!

Since my 12 mile "BONK!" a few weeks ago I have done decent long runs of 16 and 18. I made a deal with myself that it my 18 miler took me more than 3 hours I would not go for 20 this weekend. I got round in 2:57 and my recovery has been fine this week so I am going to go for 20 miles this Sunday. After that it's taper time as I have a week in Belize which I am likely to have to run around and not during.

Vege - what did you decide on your taper? I agree with HF that it's quantity not quality that you should reduce. Does not apply to me (as I have no "quality" runs) but you have some intervals etc.. going on. Are you going to keep em?

HF - Nice work on the miles. Solid!

Keep warm all y'all warriors of the frozen North!

Wishing Magical Movember Miles to all!

2017 Goals
                        1) Run more than 231 miles
                        2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

HappyFeat

Checking in after the last weeknight run for the week. It was an easy effort with no after effects from increasing the pace of my tempo miles last night. After about 5 weeks spent getting comfortable with 8:57, I've moved up to 8:49 (TM settings sure land on odd numbers).  My tempo runs these days are typically 3 miles within my Wednesday night 8-miler. It's really working out well for me in that I'm not sore or tired the next day. At some point, once I get to a tempo speed I like, I'll try stretching out the one mile increments to eventually string some together like 2x2 or 1x3, with even longer stretches as the long term goal. That's my plan anyway.

I've moved up to 8:49 (TM settings sure land on odd numbers). 

I was thinking about this on Wednesday (snow day, put me on the treadmill twice). And I was all (in my conversation with the treadmill), "I don't want to run 6:57 or 7:03 damn you, I want to run 7:00!" Then I thought about how silly that was, because if I were outside and aiming for 7, I'd surely end up at some much higher standard deviation than 6:57 to 7:03.

And the phrase "tempo pace I like" struck me too. There sure are some days I like tempos, and then there are others where I write the run's obituary before it starts. Yesterday I did not like my tempo pace at all.

You're putting in some good work though. Keep it up.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                            We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                            HappyFeat

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Kev. You are so right about this: "if I were outside and aiming for X, I'd surely end up at some much higher standard deviation!"  I hadn't thought about that.

I like putting the tempo miles in that mid-week medium-long treadmill run because it just flies by because of the extra effort involved.

I've been invited by my trail running buddy and her doggies to go to a trail running birthday party tomorrow for a friend of hers. It will be a trail I've hiked before, but not run. The plan is 10 miles and then a potluck hot lunch at someone's house who is making a Mexican Bean/Pasta Soup. I'm bringing cornbread muffins.The weather is supposed to be perfect. I think it will be a LOT of fun and I'll be meeting all new people - who like to trail run!! How great is that!

MTA: I was listening to some podcaster talk about pacing in regard to trail running. He said that you can expect your pace to be as much as 2 minutes slower  (than if you were on the road) at the same effort due to the changing terrain.  That makes me feel a whole lot better about the speed of some of my Saturday trail runs and a whole lot prouder of some of my race efforts. It also goes a long way to explaining the sideaches that come up in the races.

The trails in my area are all heavily wooded so the GPS gets poor reception- also they are tight and twisty so with all the doubling back you really get a short reading.

I just don't bother trying to estimate the pace but it is certainly much slower than roads or paths, enjoyable though.

Not much running for me this week, sore left Achilles, but hope to get out for 10 miles or so tomorrow.

I am planning to buy some very light "minimalist" shoes and gradually work them into the rotation, I think back to the Adidas I ran in back in high school which were probably similar. The idea is to strengthen my ankles and improve flexibility to avoid problems like the tight Achilles tendon.

They also would be good for 5k races I assume.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.