Half Marathon Trainers

November (Read 448 times)

Quick check in from me.

Up early tomorrow morning to get in 12 before hitting the airport and heading for a week in Belize. 50% vacation, 50% charity/mission work with a school out there - 100% disruption to training schedule Wink Catch you all when I get back - run safe!

HF - Great job on the mile-stone!

Vege - Enjoy the 20 miler!

Kevin - Run, or run not, there is no cold!

2017 Goals
    1) Run more than 231 miles
    2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

Matt, have a great trip! Sounds like it should be fun.

My November....I've been getting in the running, but things just seem to be regressing for me. Everything is slower: easy runs are slower at same or higher HR, workouts are harder and slower. I'm not at all sure what is yet. I know it is not sleep (which has been an issue for me in the past), my diet isn't worse, I haven't gained weight....The only thing I can think of is that my recovery runs are a bit longer run right now than they have been in the past, but it's not like we're talking 2x. Or maybe lingering effects from travel?? That sounds like a weak excuse 2 weeks later. Anyway, I will probably shut down the racing for the rest of the year and hope to sort things out by February, along with hopefully a jump in base mileage from the mid 30s I've been doing.

HappyFeat

Redrunner - I hear ya - having had a lousy running week myself. I think some times it's just like that. Your body doesn't feel or perform at the level you expect. It's frustrating when you can't pinpoint the reason. Hang in there. Be patient with yourself. Run within your comfort zone for now.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

HappyFeat

Just giving a shout-out to PhilfromGA.  I notice you have a Thanksgiving Day Half Marathon in your training plan. (yep I peek at what other folks are running.)  Clearly you have a PB in your pocket for that race - you are simply going to smash it! Hope it's a great day for you.

an amazing likeness

Hang in there Redrunner and HappyFeat -- when I'm in one of those rundown 'ruts'...I find that cutting back some on miles, and even upping the intensity (trading intensity for miles) can actually help more than taking days off.  Looing back at my June - Sept, I think I was in one of those down periods where normal effort wasn't delivering the same pace. I began to question if I wasn't overtraining in some way...(shrug).

Asolutely not fishing for anything...just sharing the relief of hitting a goal...made it to 2,000 miles for the year today. Last year, I hit this on 11/9, so the downtime from injuries in June and Oct stretched me out a week...whew. 

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

HappyFeat

made it to 2,000 miles for the year today.

Wow! That's big time!! Congratulations MT!

I ran a 14-mile trail run today - one of the hardest ever. Legs tired to begin with. Breathing hard throughout - at a pace that should not have required that. Really hungry 2 hours into it too. Legs are toast once again. Those gals want to run 16 next Sunday - yikes! Not sure I'll survive that! Maybe I'll walk and become cougar bait instead. Sometimes that idea sounds like a relief on a run like today.

Reduce the volume and up the intensity, huh? Maybe I'll play with that this week. Really don't want another week like the last one.

Nice to reach that big mileage target  "races are won when no-one is looking" as they say.

Sometimes its worth taking a few days off and going for a bike ride or a swim or something when running seems a struggle.

Now the cooler weather is ere I find I am enjoying running much more than I was in August, just feels so much easier. Perhaps 2013 will be a good year for me, I think I can build up some speed. I hope to race more and train a lot more than this year so if I follow through on that I may set a few new PBs.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

HappyFeat

Yeah, me too - I'll be sticking with the tempo runs and hope to set some new PBs in 2013 as well.

vegefrog

2013 I want to actually DO speedwork. I tried some this year, but slacked big time. I think it's gonna be a great year for all of us Smile

Ran my LAST big run before my taper. 20 miles...felt amazingly...dare I even say it....easy?? First 10 @ 9:45, next 5@ 9:40 and then the last 5 were all under 9. I don't know what got into me. I feel so confident now which is really what I'm excited about. My hydration and fuel and bathroom situations are all under control, at least I'm pretty sure they are. I def could have run for another hour today. Went out to eat/drink afterwards and haven't felt too tired. About to go to a Clemson/USC party and I feel like I have plenty of energy???

Best thing is (knock on wood) NOTHING HURTS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Race day of course I'm hoping to avearge a 9:10, so things will be a little different, but I am feeling good about my chances of a sub4!!!!

WOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Now I just have to survive this taper. Honestly, when I'm not running...I want to be running...or I'm thinking about running or reading about running or talking about running...

Gonna be a long 2 weeks. Lots of YOGA scheduled! LOL!

Hey Doc

Feets don't fail me now

Hey guys!  Milktruck - thanks for the link on the RWOL group, I'm glad to find you all!  Just ran my first half last week and am already registered for my next one in April.  I'm a noob (running since June) so am thrilled to have a whole new group of back posts to read and learn from.  Looks great over here! 

Hey guys! I'm new to RA too.  I've been running for 7 months and ran my first HM in September.  I'm registered for my second HM in March and I'm hoping to do a lot better.  I look forward to getting to know you all and learning from you as well.  

Steph 

“I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.” John Burroughs

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

Hello, thanks for a the link to this group.  I'm a Half Fanatic, so this is right up my alley. Smile

My last half was the RW Half Festival Half Marathon on 10/20, and I'm seriously toying with doing an indoor half on 1/26 in Connecticut.  I haven't signed up yet, so it's not official, but I'm still training for it anyway.

Looking forward to interacting with my fellow Half Marathon trainers here.

vegefrog

Welcome Doc, Steph and DaisyMae!

This is a great group for tips and motivation Smile

Can't wait to hear about all your training and racing stories!!!!

I ran 6 today...following my 20 yesterday...not a single, solitary sore muscle or tight spot. YAY Smile

Zelanie

Howdy Doc and Steph!  Nice to see some familiar faces around here!

Jane

Pokes head out, looks around the room, goes back under the sofa.  Add me to the refuge list.

Never run, if you want to never run, don't start because you'll never stop.