Half Marathon Trainers

Long Run Nutrition (Read 427 times)

I've recently started my 1/2 training and have only gotten up to 7 miles. Someone mentioned to me that anytime I start running over an hour I should start taking gels, etc with me. Since I run so slow my 7 miles is over an hour and I have been just taking water with me. My long run scheduled for this week is 8 miles. I will probably not be over 1.5 hours. What should I start taking? I've read all about the gels etc, I guess I just didn't think I was up to that intense of running yet to need that. Should I go ahead and purchase some gels and start trying them out? And on a run that's only going to 1.5 hours would one suffice? I've been told I should take something every 20 minutes and as someone who is running to try to lose 5 more lbs, I really don't want to be eating more calories than I truly need. What do you guys do on a long run that really isn't that long yet?
    Ginny 'Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there' Will Rogers

Prince of Fatness

I go out every weekend for 2+ hours on just a couple cups of coffee and a bottle of propel. I do make sure I have something to eat shortly after I am done running. I don't use them for a half marathon race either. Bottom line is that they are not necessary. If you do use them there is no need to go nuts, one would do I am sure. Or you could just eat something light that agrees with you about a half hour before you go out. My 2 cents.

Not at it at all. 

Jazz hands!

I've recently started my 1/2 training and have only gotten up to 7 miles. Someone mentioned to me that anytime I start running over an hour I should start taking gels, etc with me. Since I run so slow my 7 miles is over an hour and I have been just taking water with me. My long run scheduled for this week is 8 miles. I will probably not be over 1.5 hours. What should I start taking? I've read all about the gels etc, I guess I just didn't think I was up to that intense of running yet to need that. Should I go ahead and purchase some gels and start trying them out? And on a run that's only going to 1.5 hours would one suffice? I've been told I should take something every 20 minutes and as someone who is running to try to lose 5 more lbs, I really don't want to be eating more calories than I truly need. What do you guys do on a long run that really isn't that long yet?
        I think we're in the same boat more or less--my runs have recently gotten up to about 1:20 mins (8 miles will definitely be over 1.5 hours, sigh) and I've just been stopping at a water fountain at around 1 hr, but then last week I felt nauseous for an hour or two after my long run and it was a total drag. I think I must have done something wrong. Should I be drinking gatorade or something after that long? I've only been using water so far.
        run run run AHHHHHH run run run

jules2

I go out every weekend for 2+ hours on just a couple cups of coffee and a bottle of propel. I do make sure I have something to eat shortly after I am done running. I don't use them for a half marathon race either. Bottom line is that they are not necessary. If you do use them there is no need to go nuts, one would do I am sure. Or you could just eat something light that agrees with you about a half hour before you go out. My 2 cents.
          I'm with you I only drink when its a race and its available, I do have jelly babies on long races see link below for the gory details, scroll towards the bottom of the second page. http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/84b66b561e2c42dcb6b0c9b5db85be0a

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

Ringmaster

I guess what we're all learning is that it's a matter of learning from experience. Training for my first half, I never ate anything before my runs until they hit 10 miles--they I had a banana before I set out. I started stopping for water halfway once the runs hit about 12. This was all done in what I considered cool weather--Florida in January. During the race I hit every other water station and took water only. For my second half I was training in South Florida's summer. I was now stopping for water in the middle of a six-miler, and using sport beans for my long runs. Though my race was not until November, I did train with and use gels for the race. Not sure if it aided in performance but since I'd been training with the stuff . . . (couldn't use beans during the race b/c I can't chew while running at race pace, a great discovery to make during a race-pace training run). (BTW, gels do not get yucky--in fact, they're easier to get down when warm) It's January again, and I'm now running ten-milers again without stopping for water (and, now that I think about it, without eating before I go out . . . hmmmm). I use gels for my "longer" long runs, but not for those of HM length. Your body is your best source of information. If you have plenty of time before your race and are so inclined, now's certainly the time to experiment. On the other hand, if your body is coping with the distances well, fueling well before the run and hydrating during the race might be enough for you. I do want to add that gels are not for everyone. Some of my friends prefer the natural stuff--they're big fans of oranges, and I can understand why: they're sweet and juicy and delicious. Like I said, though, I can't chew at race pace, and the idea of getting even a little stickier than I already am stinky and sweaty turns me off. But, if you're so inclined, it's another option.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
            Mile by Mile

Thanks for the info guys. You all basically gave me the information that I thought was right. I usually run my long run in the afternoon or evening and I'm well fueled during the day and well hydrated. I have been carrying some water with me especially when my long runs have been on the treadmill, sweat worse in the gym than I do outside in the summer I think. (outside in 30 degrees don't need it so much) I did take 1/2 a banana last week. It seemed good. I may start just doing that occasionally and see if I need it. Certainly can't hurt.
              Ginny 'Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there' Will Rogers
                I'll add my two cents on this one. First as Vixi said, it's a matter of learning by trial and error (experience) and from that, your personal preference. For me, as I increased my mileage beyond 6 miles or 7 miles, I started wearing a water belt. As I approached 10 miles, I started caring 8 ounces of Gatorade in one bottle. As I neared 12 miles and got close to my race, I started playing with gels and the beans. I basically found that I didn't really need them, but on race day, did take one Gel pack but also wore my waterbelt so that I could take water or Gatorade whenever I wanted to and not have to count on the water stations. Turned out to be a good decision because it ended up being a hot and humid day. Others swear by taking them and others take nothing at all. I think the general rule of thumb is that if you are running over an hour, you should evaluate your own nutritional needs and intake and determine what is right for "YOU". if you have no problems taking something during your runs, then it certainly won't hurt you putting some nutrition back into your system. The only other suggestion I have is that if you do decide to take some, is that you don't wait until the first hour, because taking it then, it won't really get absorbed into your body fast enough to be a help. You need to plan when and what frequencies you want to take something.

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

jules2

My theory is stock up before the race and anything taken during a race up to a halh marathon is more for mental than physical benefit, unless of course the weather is hot but even then I tend to tip it over me rather than drink it. I have often thought how long does it take drink or food to pass into your system enought to benefit your performance?

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

TRIing to beat the heat!

I am a super heavy electrolyte-laden sweater... even during FL winters. I can easily down nearly 48oz of water mixed with an uber low-cal electrolyte tab during a 2 hour run in the winter months (way more than this in summer). I do this in addition to taking a gel midway through my longest runs. From what other folks have posted, it's amazing that my body can handle all of it; however, even after all of that H2O intake I still never feel the need to pee after a run... I sweat 'that' much. Roll eyes As far as calories go, if I'm anticipating a run of 10 miles or longer, that's when I'll use a gel midway. I have experimented a great deal with nutrition over the past year and in comparing what I do vs. what other folks do, I've definitely come to determine that it's trial/error based on your own body's unique response to the environment and to whatever it is that your doing at the time.

2012 Goals

Sub-1:42 for half marathon √ (1:41 at Disney, Jan '12)

Sub-22 for 5k √ (21:51 in Sept '12)

BQ for marathon- FAIL

As far as I'm concerned, you answered your own question. you've discovered what works for you, now just apply it to the HM. Larrry

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Thanks everyone.