Half Marathon Trainers

Half Marathon Trainers October 2008 (Read 632 times)

Actually 2 years Vixi, sorry I wasn't clear. I am sure a short rest period will make no difference to your fitness for the race, we are all cheering for you to break 2 hours! Larry seems to be taking a break from the board, hope he drops by soon...

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

I see there have been no posts in 4 days, hope you have all been busy running!
      Ha! I wish! Sad My training for my half hit a few bumps in the last 4 weeks - a yellow jacket sting in the knee (and corresponding anaphylactic response) knocked me out for 4 days and a cold a week later cost me a couple more days. And of course, I jumped back into my runs pretty quickly since the race was coming up and tweaked my hip flexor, strained my arch and had a little knee pain crop up. But I ran my HM hard anyway - was thrilled with my time - but have been struggling with my runs now. I have a minor case of runner's knee in my left knee and a minor arch strain on my left foot. I strained the extensor tendons and my big toe on right foot on race day and my right hip was pretty sore. So I took a whole week off. Just got back at it last week with some very easy runs. So, keeping the miles few and easy for a while and hiting the weights. I firmly believe that missing my leg strength training workouts for 4 weeks in September resulted in the knee and hip pain. I never had knee issues until I took time off from strength training. So I'm vowing never to miss another leg workout. I'm working on an agressive leg strengthening program right now. I do power cleans, squats, glute-ham raises, split squats, Romanian deadlifts, and step-ups. I'm actually enjoying the reduced miles and focus on weights right now. I'm going to start full marathon training in December - I'll be wait-listed for Boston (applied to Tedy's Team for the American Stroke Assoc) but plan on a Spring marathon somewhere if I don't get in to Boston. I'll know in January. Smile

Simon, I'm kind of around. I drop in once in awhile to just try and keep up with what others are doing, but since I'm not running, I'm hibernating in my own little world and wallowing in my own self pity over my latest injury which has put me on the disabled list for some time now. (6) weeks now. The original injury went away after a couple of weeks, the DR couldn't figure out what it was, but when I returned to running, I only got a run or two in and reinjured the calf muscle which took me out back in the June time frame. The Dr believes that it never really healed probably and now have a tear in the muscle. It was feeling okay and I tried to run a few weeks ago but only got a mile and a half in. Felt it bother me last week, just working in the yard. So the prognosis is rest, massage, heat, wrap it often to support it and let it heal. We're off to Cancunn, Nov 5th-12th and have a follow-up on the 14th. Hopefully, it will not effect me for swimming and snorkling and walking on the beach. So that's where I'm at. Happens I was dropping in today to drop a message to Teresa to see how DS is doing. CT had it's HS Championships last weekend, the times were not very good, but the weather was bad and it's a difficult course when wet. Nobody broke 16 minutes. The State open is this Friday, I'll try and let you know what the results are. Do you think DS has a chance to make New Englands this year? I'm not even sure where they're going to be, do you know?

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Sorry to hear you guys are both having such a difficult time! Hope you both overcome your problems in the near future. Also, Teresa, I read your post about your son's race, (in the Master's section) he is certainly doing really well! Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

It's good to hear from you, Larry! I was wondering what was up with you. I hope you heal quickly. Have fun in Cancun - we've been twice, the kids liked it so much. In April, we're going to the west coast of Mexico for a change. DS is doing well - here are his latest results. He came in 5th in the regional meet, so he wasn't happy with that! In the WMC meet, he came in 3rd, and he got a big trophy - that was cool! In the final poll of the season, his team is ranked #1 in Maine, out of all schools. Unless something terrible happens (injury), they should win the Class B state championship on Saturday. Even if they came in 2nd, they would qualify for New England. I'm not sure if he would qualify as an individual this year. There are a lot of fast juniors! His 5k PR time is currently the 13th best time of the season, out of all boys in Maine. Oh, he's planning on doing the Junior Olympics 5k in a couple of weeks, along with two of his teammates. They are both already 17, so he won't have to compete against them. 5000m 16:57.29 Western Maine Class B Regional Championship 3Mile 16:37.00 Western Maine Conference XC Championship 5000m 16:55.20 Maine Festival of Champions 5000m 16:39.00 PR 34th Manchester Invitational Nike Classic 5000m 16:54.00 Fryeburg WMC XC meet #2
              Teresa, Great to hear he's doing so well. As I think you and I have discussed before, my son did the JO CC a number of years and it was a lot of fun and we made some great trips out of them. Were in Maine at least twice for regionals (I know at least once for CC and track, but am thinking twice for CC) Do you know where the JOs region 1 is going to be held this year? As for New Englands, I think it's the top 20 from each state and the top 2 or 3 teams, but I don't remember for sure. Healing quickly isn't happening this time and I've got to try and be patient with it and trying to keep busy with non physical type of things to do. Glad ot hear you liked Cancun. We awere going to go to Aruba again, but decided to try something different. At least I don't have to worry about packing running gear and training while I'm there. (quote) Oh, he's planning on doing the Junior Olympics 5k in a couple of weeks, along with two of his teammates. They are both already 17, so he won't have to compete against them.

LPH

Thanks for thinking of me.
                Sorry to hear you guys are both having such a difficult time! Hope you both overcome your problems in the near future. Also, Teresa, I read your post about your son's race, (in the Master's section) he is certainly doing really well! Simon.

LPH

I certainly can relate to what you are going through Larry! The Whole Calf region is a mysterious thing, when you tear it, the pain is really sucky.... You know I tore back there right before my HM, probably brought on by overtraining, and tight calves. I am just now making a return to running, it's been about 5 weeks. It sucks, but when I have run, I have had some really nice runs!! Smile I have to say, not " Having to get the run completed" has really changed the whole dynamic for me lately. I am much more relaxed during the run, and I don't feel beat up if I only get 2 miles in because my calf is still a little bitchy with me. I decided to do a few things during my active recovery to get things fresh again,and stay focused on goal setting: Weight Training- Yep, seems I will never really rid myself of this excess weight until I build muscle ALL OVER to get the fat burn really effective. I took a few weight training classes with a trainer to learn proper lifting technique, and I am off and going.... the surprise to me is that I actually like it! re-vamp my eating, taking from carb heavy to support my increased running mileage, to more protein dense, and really small portions spaced out through the day. It has made a huge difference in my energy levels. A Great Product that I would recommend to keep your calf happy is a Zensah Calf support sleeve. The technology behind them is that they mimick taping, and are super supportive, while encouraging blood flow and oxygen to the calf muscle. I wear mine most of the time, till my calf fully heals. Stay strong, and remember that light gentle running, ( even though it might hurt) is actually good for the calf, because it will force the calf to toughen up and begin to heal..... Good Luck, and Have fun on your trip! (((( hugs Larry )))))

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Good to hear from all of you, I'm taking it easy, running, strength training and walking in a three day loop. I'm also hoping the strength training will take care of the last five pounds. Cutting back mileage had helped get all rid of most the "twinges", I will SLOWLY increase later. I had a small setback last week - minor car accident - but I believe I'm 90% with a little seat belt burn. Take care Larry and have a great vacation - good notes from Cheffy. A

Recalculating...

Prince of Fatness

Hi everyone. Add me to the walking wounded. I have a mild case of PF in both feet. I think I caught it early enough, we'll see. The cause? Tight calves. Sound familiar Cheffy? I started doing some intervals a while back and my calves slowly tightened up over the course of time. I'm blaming ignoring the tightness more than the intervals. I've been foam rolling the calves and the rest of my legs on a daily basis, and it seems to be helping. I am definitely finding some painful knots, especially in my shin area. I am icing the PF, but I really think that loosening the calves up is the key. I'm still running, but everything easy. I have three races that I already signed up for coming up. I still plan on running them, but I am prepared to shut it down for a week or two if need be. Other than the races my plan is to maintain base by running everything easy through the end of the year. Lesson learned ..... Message and light stretching if doing speed work, at least once or twice a week. The other thing I may do is only run the intervals every other week next time.

Not at it at all. 

Gosh MrPH, I saw your post over in the swamp and thought to myself "Oh No!!! " tight calves are a bitch.... and what I have learned from all of this is how that single thing alone spills over into so many more injuries!!! I have a foam roller, the best money ever spent really. that device got me through shin splints. I think for me, it was that I clearly was running too slow during training, and all that slow pace caused everything to tighten, along with the monster hills we trained on, and ran in the HM. It's still not healed all the way yet, but I manage a good 1 or 2 quality runs a week, which suits me just fine for right now, as I said, I am weight training and doing other cardio to compensate. It will be a slow journey back, but I am in it for the long haull, and I know that ultimately all the weight training will make my running legs and core stronger so that hopefully I will not injure as easily the next time I train for something meaningful. Good Thoughts to you, and " Roll" with it!!! Wink

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Prince of Fatness

Thanks Cheffy. Before now I never thought to use the roller on the shin area. But wow, did I find some knots in there. Once I get this cleared up I need to get my lazy ass on the roller once or twice a week ... and listen to my body. It's as simple as that. I've really found that mileage isn't an issue with me ... it's more intensity. Next time I'll have an eye out for this. The other problem I had was that the place where I do intervals at is not flat, and hills do work the calves. I'm going to have to find another place to do intervals. Oh, and I agree that it's good to mix up your pace, even if it is just some tempo miles or just some strides toward the end of an easy run. Just make sure you're warmed up first. This is not so bad. I'm not overly stressed about it ......... yet. Wink

Not at it at all. 

Add me to the walking wounded.
                            So nice to know I'm not alone. (sniff). I'm getting all vaklempt. Talk amongst yourselves.

Ringmaster

Hey, guys, sorry to hear we're all sore in places. My calves get it too--I had to baby them a bit when I raced that training 13.1. Maybe I'll look into that foam roller . . . Me, the noob, I don't own one yet . . .

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                              Mile by Mile

Ringmaster

Oh, Larry, have fun in Aruba! I hope you have fabulous weather and an absolutely glorious time!

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                                Mile by Mile