Half Marathon Trainers

October Training and Chatting (Read 430 times)

an amazing likeness

I hear you on the 300 miles in a month, Simon.  That's a load of running. The closest I've come is right around 250 miles a few times. My biggest months are always mid-summer, and before getting hurt, I had a couple good years building monthly mileage without creating any stress-type injuries.

My current plan is to try and 'hover' between 150 - 160mi for a few months and continue to try and be successful building back strength and stamina. With my balance being hampered, not sure what I'll do during the winter months -- I used to be an outdoors always runner, but will definitely not push that agenda this year.

Here's my pattern of the last few years, I'll probably keep the same 'pattern', at a lower level of intensity and miles until I get more healed.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Hey Guys

Just posting to say, I am still here. Smile

This relo has taken a real toll - I have not run in 5+ weeks and the two weeks before that totaled 12 miles.

The family and I have finally arrived in VA and, even though we are all in a small apartment right now until we can get into a house, the traveling and crappy working schedule should be coming to an end.

Goals and everything else are out - getting back out the door is all I need to work on right now!

Will try to post a little more too!

Cheers

2017 Goals
      1) Run more than 231 miles
      2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

Looks like Milk is back on track.

Simon, sorry to hear about your running, but I have relocated twice in the last 4 years, so I can feel for you, brother!  Hang in there.....it will settle down so you can get back to normalcy.

I had an awesome race this morning.  Did better than expected.  I know, now, that a sub 1:50 HM is possible for me.  I have had a solid base of 25 to 30 mpw, but that is only 3 or 4 days per week and no speed work.  My race today almost got me another PR.....short by only 27 seconds (unofficial time).  If I had been doing a good tempo run once per week, I am certain I would have nailed it.  I guess this gives me something to shoot for in the spring.

I feel awesome!!  I have accomplished ALL my racing goals this year and am only 61 miles from killing my only remaining goal (1000 miles for the year).  Now I just need to figure out what next year should look like.

I hope everyone else's fall races are going well.  Cheers!

Sean 

Keep the running and fitness up and keep the weight from coming back.

Run more miles than last year.

an amazing likeness

Looks like Milk is back on track.

Nope.  Acutally managed, somehow, to bonk at mile 11 in today's half and had to really, really argue like mad with my body to not walk at times. Pure death march at the end.

1:43:21 finish, so no progress from two week's ago at the Maine half marathon.  (actually +1 sec)

an amazing likeness

I feel awesome!!  I have accomplished ALL my racing goals this year and am only 61 miles from killing my only remaining goal (1000 miles for the year).  Now I just need to figure out what next year should look like.

That's fantastic!  Treasure that feeling, you've earned it with hard work. 

Nice to hear from you again, Matt! Keep those posts coming.

Sean, great to hear such a positive post from you. I am sure you are right about the value of tempos, the best format seems a mile or so  warmup, then a 5k tempo, then a cooldown. If you time the tempo and use the same route each time you can guage your progress by comparing the times. Another good one is a long tempo or lactate threshold run of 10 miles, a little slower than your planned race pace. This is a tough workout, but gives you confidence.

Milk I am sure you still had a little tiredness in your legs with the two races so close together.

Ran a long run today, trying to build up my endurance, pretty tough, hope it starts getting easier soon. My weight is going down, not sure why, my legs and arms are very skinny. I am not entirely happy about this, but certainly not going hungry, so I suppose it is ok.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Taking it easy this week, all slow runs and not too long. Weather has turned really cold in my area, and quite suddenly.

an amazing likeness

I was really hurting earlier this week, following last Sunday's half marathon.  Not certain that I know exactly why.  But had to walk for Monday and Tuesday and then ease into a short, slow jog on Wednesday.  Somehow, I murdered my left quad and hip.  I think I know what happened...so plan to try an easy 6 miler today at lunch and see if things are feeling a bit better.

The newbie

Hey guys, I posted my race report over in the sticky thread but wanted to stop by and say thanks again for any and all advice I received here. It helped me run a great, fun, fast (for me) and injury-free race last weekend, and I am very grateful!

Congrats on what looked like an awesome race choppersean! And MilkTruck, hope that quad feels better soon. Good luck with the move simon ... and good luck to anyone with races in the immediate future!

I'm going to Ireland for a much needed holiday but I'll back ... Smile

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

One week to go to my Auckland Half Marathon and I could in the process of that run clock over my 1000 miles too.  Just a 12km today in 55 mins, felt pretty good. I actually jogged 2km slow with a workmate too so probably did it too quickly aside from that but hey was a lovely day for it here!

I am definitely on the up after some weeks of getting no where but the speed is still down a little from my peak back in July.  So we shall see how it goes on the day.  I am getting more and more confident and more interested in competing instead of just making up the numbers.

I would have prefered to have done an 18km run last weekend but because of my 10km race it wasn't possible.  Will jsut have to trust that previous efforts will help.

I am definitely in better training shape than all my other workmates that are doing it so expecting to be one of the first back to the corporate  tent for a beer afterward

My plan for training until the race is:

Tomorrow (Sun) 10km with some hills

Mon 10 km easy

Tues 7km steady

Wed off

Thurs 7km easy

Fri off

Sat 3-4km easy

Sun race

I think most likely I will be heading for 1:40-1:45 just because i'm still a bit shy on speed at the mo and it isn't the easiest of courses but you never know

Smile

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:
                      Run the 75km Hillary Trail in a day (done 10/3/2012)

Loves the outdoors

Hi everyone! I've decided to do my first half, so I thought I'd join in. It will be the Wellington Round the Bays half on Feb 20th. I've done quite a few 5Ks and a couple of 10Ks and I'm ready to move up to the half and give that a go.

I'm following Lydiard style training (from Nobby), but my total running volume is still pretty low. I've been running more and longer in the past, but have generally ended up over-tired so I'm trying a different approach and building up very slowly. I'm now running more days (7 per week) but I have decreased the intensity on my easy days which has left me feeling great and not missing my days off at all. Feeling positive after a rough patch. My ultimate goal is to improve my fitness enough to be able to complete a half marathon under 2 hours. This is probably a couple of years away, but I'm sure if I keep training sensibly I will get there. 

I have a 17.5K trail race on the 13th Nov, so that will give me a taste. I'm not really ready for this distance, but it's a pretty trail race and I'm going to give it a go anyway.

One day I decided I wanted to become a runner, so I did.

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Hi everyone! I've decided to do my first half, so I thought I'd join in. It will be the Wellington Round the Bays half on Feb 20th. I've done quite a few 5Ks and a couple of 10Ks and I'm ready to move up to the half and give that a go.

I'm following Lydiard style training (from Nobby), but my total running volume is still pretty low. I've been running more and longer in the past, but have generally ended up over-tired so I'm trying a different approach and building up very slowly. I'm now running more days (7 per week) but I have decreased the intensity on my easy days which has left me feeling great and not missing my days off at all. Feeling positive after a rough patch. My ultimate goal is to improve my fitness enough to be able to complete a half marathon under 2 hours. This is probably a couple of years away, but I'm sure if I keep training sensibly I will get there. 

I have a 17.5K trail race on the 13th Nov, so that will give me a taste. I'm not really ready for this distance, but it's a pretty trail race and I'm going to give it a go anyway.

nice. give it a go, you gotta enjoy it. my head spins with methods of training theory. for me a positive mind, confidence and enjoyment are key. you just gotta want to do it :-)

Good luck training

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:
                          Run the 75km Hillary Trail in a day (done 10/3/2012)

Well everyone, I'm happy to report that I had a great relaxing vacation in Cancun and we dodged Hurrican Paula with just a little bit of rain and lots of waves. I'm also happy to report that I've started back to a couple of days of running this week and the calf feels pretty good. Unfortunately it's getting dark awful early, so not a lot of outside running left. LPH

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Good to hear from you, Larry.

Hope the injury is coming around, Milktruck- I read your anniversary post, you have really come a long way back towards health, and on a tough road.

I thought I had posted a couple of days ago, but cannot find it now.

Anyway, had a nice run in the rain on Tuesday, and chased some blowing leaves on a windy run yesterday.

On target to exceed my goal of 250kms or 156 miles for the month.

Hey everyone!  I hope all is well.............can you believe it is already almost NOVEMBER!?!?!?!?!

Had a terrible last couple of weeks.  Was so busy at work I didn't run at all the week immediately after my last HM.  THEN, I tweaked my back so bad I have been unable to run until just this morning........out of commission for almost two weeks!!!!  It was a nice easy 4 miles this AM, though and it felt nice to be back out on the road.  Only 57 miles from reaching my final 2010 goal of getting 1000 miles in for the year, so I need to kick it up and see if I can actually do maybe 1100 to 1150.  if I was really ambitious, I could actually do 1200-1250.  Not sure I am up for it, but will definitely kill the 1000 mile mark.

I hope this fall is as wonderful for you all as it is for me........happy running!

Keep the running and fitness up and keep the weight from coming back.

Run more miles than last year.