Half Marathon Trainers

It's official... I'm running my first HM on April 22nd! (Read 710 times)

vegefrog

Your run today was a lesson.  A lesson that we all need to learn and re-learn. Effort is not pace. "Easy" is an effort, not a pace.  All the workout types (easy, hard, tempo) are the amount of effort and not a pace goal.

Yep.  I only know my pace because I type in my times here for my log. I go "easy" on long runs and most other days, "tempo" one day a week and "hard" on race days. So far I have been dropping minutes like nobodys business! You will too Kathy if you keep this up! Sounds like a great group you train with and I bet your Half marathon will be a wonderful experience for you because you are training so smart!!!

Thursday did a speed workout with my training group.  They had us run a timed mile as fast as we could.  I was surprised to do it in 9:15!  (Anyone that has followed my progress knows that is really pretty fast for me).   We then rested 4 minutes and did a 800, which I did in 5:15 and then 4 minute rest and then another 800.  On that one they told us to go full out again.  I did it in 4:45.  So surprised I was able to finish and keep the times so good.  All this work is paying off!  Big grin

an amazing likeness

Less than 8 weeks to go...give us an update Kathy!

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Things are going great!  I feel strong and my confidence is growing.  A few weeks ago, they had us run a 7 mile perdicition run.  Longest I had run since last summer and we were not allowed to use our watches (naturally).  I was nervous going into it, I had NEVER ran without my watch and was scared too.  I was affraid I would go out to fast and not be able to finish.  My training partner and I started out and decided to just go easy until the last 2 miles.  Problem was, the miles were not marked.  We would start to get too out of breath to talk, so we would slow down a little and continued this way most of the "race".  They told us not run this as a race but as a LSD.  So we worked hard on holding back.  When we thought we had to be a mile or two from the finish we picked it up a little.  At the end not only was I able to finish, I was able to sprint in the last 200 meters or so.  We killed our predicted time by over 7 minutes!  We ran much faster than I ever thought I could for that distance.  Clearly that was the lesson they were teaching us... to listen to our bodies and not the watch.  If I had known the pace we were running, I would have slowed down thinking there was no way I would be able to keep that pace for the whole 7 miles, but I DID!  I was amazed and it was a huge confidence booster just when I was starting to wonder if I would actually be able to do this half thing. 

Tomorrow we are scheduled to run for 90 minutes.  Our weekly miles are starting to climb, we are up to about 22 - 25 week now.  The speed workouts just keep getting harder.  I thought that as my fitness level improved it would get easier, but the coaches clearly know what they are doing and keep uping the difficulty as well.  Last night was a lesson on lactic acid.  They had us run 2 miles at 30 seconds faster than race pace, then stand for 10 mintues and then run a mile at race pace, then stand for 5 minutes and then run another mile at race pace.  This didn't sound to hard.  I was wrong! After the standing around, my legs felt like moosh!  The following runs SUCKED!  I got through them and came home and plunged my beat up legs into an ice bath for the first time!  Boy that's fun!  All that said, I'm enjoying the process and can't believe how much progress I have seen!  Someone asked me if "I feel the love yet?", I told them, about 70% of the time, I enjoy my runs now.  So I guess that's progress!

I am STARTING to believe I can do this!

an amazing likeness

My goodness...buried in that great report is the fact that you ran 7 minutes faster over 7 miles !

Keep up the reports on what they're coaching, they are good reading. It looks like your coach really focuses on a steady mix of mid-length speed sessions. Good lesson. As we head into some less icy roads here from the weak winter -- I'm really trying to get more speed work into my workouts.

vegefrog

Kathy that sounds like such a great program!! I love reading what your coaches are having you do, because I'm learning from it too! I am a relative newbie as well and am just starting to incorporate speed work. I love reading about how it is helping you and what sort of things they have you do.  Keep it up! I hope you enjoyed that 90 minute run Smile

So 2.5 weeks left of hard training and then we begin our three week taper!  Feeling pretty good.  Confidence is building, legs are little beat up so looking forward to the taper.  Learning the GU is my friend on a long run.  That took some getting use to! Dead  Enjoyed our last down week last week.  Only three intense speed workouts left.  Tonights will be tough.  5 -  1000 meter repeats with 4 minutes jogging between.  I will be glad when these are over.  My longest run so far is a little over 9 miles.  So I'm getting close.  Noticed that I am very tired all the time now, so really focusing on my diet now.  Trying to eat more lean protein, whole grains and lots of fruits and veggies.  All in all, things are going well. 

an amazing likeness

Just ran 10 miles!  I have only done that one other time last summer.  Then I felt like I might die during and after and now I feel great!  All this training is paying off!  Love it!  Big grin

Go Kathy!  You're going to rock this. You've worked the plan, you've got good coaching, you'll be ready.

Let me know when you figure out the GU thing, because I can't even tear the dang things open 1/2 the time.  Then there's all the hassle of figuring out when to take them during a half marathon, since the calories need time to get digested.  I just go with the rotating between water and sports drink to get some electrolytes if it's hot.

vegefrog

Kathy you are gonna have such a great race! Like MT said, you have everything going for you with the coaching and training!

I don't do GU either. For a half I do the mix water/gatorade thing and that has worked so far. For my full I took some sports beans about half way through, but not sure if they did anything for me or not...I never hit a wall so I guess they didn't hurt Smile

It's good that you are training with the substance you are going to use on race day, that will be a great advantage. For this summer heat, I might try those Stingers things...not sure my tummy can handle GU!!

So four weeks from today is the big day.  My first half!  Excited, nervous, a little scared but ready to get this monkey off my back!  One more week of hard training left and then we begin our 3 week taper.   Big grin  Feeling pretty good.  Legs are a little beat up.  Mostly from a fall I took on a run Tuesday.  Damn sidewalks.  I know better but was running with a friend and she started out on the sidewalk so I just went with it.  Oh well, knees are healing up and I will be good as new in a few more days. 

HappyFeat

Bringing this up as an alternative to Gu: I've switched from using gel packets (sticky, hard to open) to shot blocks. I cut them in half, dust with protein powder which keeps them from sticking together and because I like it better than flour (which I also tried) and carry them in a small ziploc baggie that I cut to size for my waist pouch. On my long runs, I like to eat a half-cube every 2-3 miles, and I also drink Hammer Heed as needed depending on heat and sweating.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

an amazing likeness

Apr 22nd kathyherrick Glass City 13.1 Miles Toledo, OH USA 2:30:00  

It's here...Go Kathy !

Trust your training. You've laid a great foundation of hard work.

You're going to nail it. Have no doubts and don't do any insane lining up in the back of the pack...get up there where you belong....start running when they blow the horn...keep going until someone hands you a medal and wraps a foil blanket on your shoulders.

Go Kathy Go. RUN STRONG !!!

HappyFeat

Go Kathy Go! Have a great time!

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

vegefrog

GO KATHY GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't wait to hear a race report! I hope you have a great race and enjoy yourself!!

Thanks for the encouragment everyone!  Currently I am restless due to the taper.  Just want to get out there and run, resisiting the urge though!  Tomorrow I plan a short/easy 2 mile jog just to get rid of some nervous energy.  The group I have been training with had a pasta dinner for us last night that was fun.  He kept reminding us that we are ready and we have done the work.  It seems so strange now.  The nerves and self doubt are starting to creap in.  I just keep looking at my log and reminding myself of all the runs I have done.  I have run in every possible weather condition, extreme wind, sleet, freezing rain, heavy snow, fog, down pouring rain, extreme cold and heat.  No matter what the conditions are I can handle it.  Luckily, it is suppose to be 38 at race time and clear. Smile   My husband and I and a couple of my training buddies are going to the expo tomorrow to pick up our packets.  Going to try to have a low key day tomorrow and get to bed early.  My biggest concern is how to dress for it as silly as that sounds.  The race bib is suppose to be on the outer most layer but if I start with a jacket and then get to warm and want to take it off, I will have to change the bib over.  I was thinking of just wearing shorts with a short sleeve tech shirt and arm warmers.  Does that sound like enough?  It's suppose to warm up fairly quickly to about 50 by the time I'm done. 

This may sound like a strange question but how/why does taper work?  It seems so strange that I have not run much the last two weeks?  I get the being fresh for the race but wouldn't I have lost some of my fitness?  They keep telling me no but I don't understand it.  I'm too much of a numbers person I guess and like to analyze every detail.