Half Marathon Trainers

First Half Marathon in September 2012 (Read 610 times)

vegefrog

Great job on your 10K!!!

Thanks I'm so chuffed

Alan

2012 Targets:

1:30hrs Continuous running

17.5km in 1:30hr

Half Marathon < 1:50 (PB 1:50:35 - 26/08/12 Pewsey)

10k < 50mins (PB 45:09 - 15/07/12 West Tytherley 10k)

5k < 24mins (PB 22:08 - 16/06/12 Andover Park Run 5km)

Average Weekly Pace < 8min/mile (Current Best 8:02)

Hi,

Quick update on how things are going a couple of solid weeks training (even if I was on holiday in Spain for a week - sad or what).

Managed to keep the mileage up and everything seems OK.

5km race today where I smashed 24mins with 22:23min - can't be more pleased.

Thanks for all your support.

Alan

2012 Targets:

Nice work! Might be time to revise your September goal...

Thanks, I don't seem to be that good at setting targets - what was you thinking 1:45?

Alan

2012 Targets:

Actually, let me edit. It isn't yet time to revise your goal-there's no need to have one at this point. Given your rate of progression, I'd figure it out closer to race date. Maybe a 10k in August to figure out how far you've progressed, then set a goal.

I see thanks for that - that makes perfect sense. Although it does bring up more questions as I have been looking at some further races to help me progress and better estimate targets. However I have a slight conundrum. I've really liked the races and think I might do more races, not half marathon yet but some more 10k, 5m and even a 10m to help prepare me. Althogh part of me thinks I need to be careful not to over do it but what's the difference between running alone on the Sunday or enjoying a run with like minded people and will help to make friends. Thanks,

Alan

2012 Targets:

an amazing likeness

...However I have a slight conundrum. I've really liked the races and think I might do more races, not half marathon yet but some more 10k, 5m and even a 10m to help prepare me. Althogh part of me thinks I need to be careful not to over do it but what's the difference between running alone on the Sunday or enjoying a run with like minded people and will help to make friends. Thanks,

I would absolutely encourage you to fit races into your training. Especially 10K and 10M, which are great tempo training distances for the 1/2.

The key is to fit them into your training plan in a way that makes sense -- for example, a 5K can be a great substitute for a planned interval workout. Or if your plan calls for a 5 mile tempo run, run a 10K and go out at 75-80% for the first mile, then run the last 5 mile as your tempo. That type of thing -- integrating the races into the greater pattern and goals of your training plan.

Like you say, some days doing a race can be a great variation from just pounding the pavement on your own.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Knocked the mileage in this week which was good although legs really struggling to get past 8-9 miles. Think I will run a couple of 8-9 miles/week for a few weeks to see how things go (no rush to get to the 10m mark).

Thus another positive week, and rounded of with a 10k race where I knocked another minute of my previous PB about a month ago - can't ask for more at this stage.

Alan

2012 Targets:

HappyFeat

Knocked the mileage in this week which was good although legs really struggling to get past 8-9 miles. Think I will run a couple of 8-9 miles/week for a few weeks to see how things go (no rush to get to the 10m mark).

Thus another positive week, and rounded of with a 10k race where I knocked another minute of my previous PB about a month ago - can't ask for more at this stage.

The obvious reason for your LR being a tough go this week would be the race the day before. It's usually a good idea to separate two hard workouts with an easy recovery run/rest day.  Any LR and any day that contains a race/tempo/speed workout are considered "hard" workouts.

Also, you'll find it easier to increase the distance of your LR if you slow the pace down. One of those recent LR was at a much faster pace than your "easy" runs.  That's not what you want when you're trying to build the distance of your LR.  You want to keep it at a slow comfortable pace. Remember what feels comfortable in the first mile is not what feels good in the last one Smile

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Another good week posted a rather high mileage figure this week finished off with a really enjoyable long run today, at a fairly constant pace. Will drop the mileage a little this week and introduce some intervals or hill work not sure which yet. Very pleasing overall though and a good 5k park run in a strong wind - happy with time though. 5m race this week so a deffinately PB as haven't run one yet Smile

Alan

2012 Targets: