Half Marathon Trainers

HMT - February 2012 (Read 523 times)

HappyFeat

Yaay! Matt's back! We missed you. Your RR was a fun read.

I'm glad your DW PRd - that makes it worth the hassle and the high price.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Congrats to your wife, Matt!

Alex, I hope the injury turns out to be less serious than you think- it is a shame to not be able to run in the events you planned.

But, you have plenty of time, do not try to rush back into your full training plan before you are ready.

Happyfeat- nice consistent running, wish my log looked like yours!

Nice 11k or 7 miles today, why can't all my runs be like that?

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Thanks gang.

Turns out the missus (bib # 790) and I (bib # 789) got put on the Dallas morning news website in thier race review photo thingy.

Bad photo # 18!! Blush

Happy - Echo Simon's comments on consisteny. Wow.

Simon - You started quite the entertaining thread on the main board... nice work!

More than half way through Feb right now.... keep rolling folks.

2017 Goals
        1) Run more than 231 miles
        2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

HappyFeat

Matt - that is so not a bad race photo of you two! It's called "determination" and "focus" on your faces. You both look great! Thanks for sharing the pic with us.

Thanks for the encouragement, but I'm still falling short of my weekly plan which is 6-6-8-6 and then 10-14 on the weekend. First the foot in January, then the back in February - I've had some unfortunate injuries since the New Year that have kept me from doing my planned runs. 

I went on a splendid 10-mile trail run the weekend before I hurt my backSad  I'm itching to repeat the trail run, but will hold off til I'm 100%

I think one of the hardest things when you haven't run a race in a while (in my case a long while now), is dialing in a pace to shoot for. With my goal half still 6 weeks out now, still sort of a moving target. The good news is, it's moving in one direction. The scary news is, that direction is pointing to faster. Workouts giving me confidence, but always telling me you can go much, much faster, which is in some ways intimidating. 

Anyway, that's what I'm dealing with right now. Good problems to have I reckon.

Good work everyone. Matt, that pic is sweet.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
            We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Peter's race this weekend is in his log - 1:27:06 - Fantastic result against a 1:32:00 goal!

Nice work Peter! Looking forward to hearing all about it. Smile

2017 Goals
              1) Run more than 231 miles
              2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

Holy crap, nice run Peter!

HappyFeat

Congratulations on a Fantastic Time, Peter! Obviously you changed your mind about not doing it. Wise choiceBig grin

Thanks a lot guys. I'm still writing it up. The short version is that my garmin wouldn't turn on and I did not have  a back up watch. So my first few miles I was running solely by feel and by the time I found out how fast I was going, by asking another runner, I decided to just hang on to his pace for as long as I could (which was until last 1/2 mile or so). He emailed me his splits, which is how I've estimated mine.

Wow Peter, that's awesome!  Very nice, consistent splits as well.

Going back to the doc to get my MRI disc read Wednesday.  If it turns out I had a stress fracture I'll most likely need a couple more weeks off, but otherwise I may be able to start slowly again.  Thanks everyone for being so supportive. Smile

Here's where I stand now as I see it: I've taken the last month completely off, with a bit of biking and elliptical but not much  - I've likely gained several pounds as well Wink .  Before that I was doing around 30mpw and got in a couple 8 milers as well as several 7s.  Seeing that I'm about a month off from my goal half, I doubt I have time to work up to that kind of distance again in time to actually be able to run the race.  Any thoughts about how I should restart?  Should I just take it slow the first week or so and run by feel?

On a slightly more fun note, track season's almost here at my school and I'm thinking of doing it!  This year was my first cross country season and I really enjoyed it, so I might have a good time and continue to improve if I take advantage of the opportunity.  I'd be running the 800, mile, and 2-mile, so I would still be able to keep up higher mileage and compete in some longer races this spring as well.

I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

Future Goals: 5:30 mile • 19:30 5k • 33:30 8k • 42:00 10k • 1:15:00 10-mile • 1:40:00 half-marathon • 1000 miles

Hot stuff, Peter! That's a great result!

Alex, yes, start back gently and see how it goes. You don't want to re-injure yourself.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Alex, I highly recommend starting here:

http://pfitzinger.com/labreports/stressfracture.shtml

You may not need the whole 7 weeks (I moved on after 4 or so), but it really helps. You can see my log from 10/24/11 on applying it.

vegefrog

Awesome time Peter!! Glad you had a great race.

Alex good luck getting healthy again. Sounds like you have a good plan on taking it slow and doing things right.

Thanks everyone! I'm still pretty excited about it.

Congrats vegefrog on the full finish!

Alex, good luck with the recovery. If your legs permit, I highly recommend running track and not worrying about the longer distance stuff until later-it'll always be there.

Well it's clear from the MRI that I did have some sort of stress reaction (possibly a fracture).  It seems to be healing, but I still need to take 3-4 more weeks off before I can start up again.  It will then take me at least a few weeks to increase my mileage again, so it looks like track probably isn't going to be an option.  Two months out is no fun, so I've learned I need to be more careful and take it slower when I come back.  Thanks for the words of support!

I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

Future Goals: 5:30 mile • 19:30 5k • 33:30 8k • 42:00 10k • 1:15:00 10-mile • 1:40:00 half-marathon • 1000 miles