Half Marathon Trainers

HMT - October 2011 (Read 517 times)

Ten + races on the calendar for this group this month. Final prep for many, race weekend already for some.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Long - long run for me today. 18 miles is 3 miles further than I have ever run before. In the last couple of weeks I have been told a couple of runners tales of woe from folks who's marathon training has fallen apart at this stage and I must admit to looking at the route a few times last night and thinking.... how the heck am I going to do that?

Fortunately I got some good fueling advice from a husband of one of my wife's friend's husbands (don't ask!) who recently biked Leadville. So fully fueled with pasta from the night before and a banana in the morning I set off this morning with the aim of trying to keep a 10min/mile pace for the full 18 miles. I went through 6 miles at exactly an hour, 12 miles just before 2 hours and felt so good at the end that as I cruised back into my neighborhood (2 miles to go) I was pushing an 8:30 pace and ran the last mile in under 8 mins. I ate two packs of shotbloks on the way round and drank 20oz of Powerade. Felt like a bit of a breakthrough run at the end ...18 miles in 2:53. Ttomorrow morning we will see if I can get out of bed! Smile

How did the races go Meg & LR?

2017 Goals
    1) Run more than 231 miles
    2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Matt, that is great that your 18 went so well. Hydrate well the rest of today and hopefully tomorrow isn't too stiff for you. Smile

My race went really well. 

Flatlanders 10K

Racetime: 930 am. Conditions: Sunny, 14*C or 57*F. Not much of a breeze.

I went out too fast and couldn't sustain the pace through the whole race. The final mile was tough and did involve a bit of coughing in the last 1/4 mile. When I passed the guy who was standing beside the road smoke 1/4 mile from the end, I got a good inhale of cigarette smoke which didn't help either. Anyway, I pushed through. My Garmin read 6.32; I know I started it a few steps before the start (misjudged the line) and didn't stop it until after I crossed the line so my time is likely a few seconds faster.

Splits: Splits: 9:57, 10:15, 10:22, 10:20, 10:22, 10:55, 9:53 (last 0.32).

Previous PR: 1:06:21 (I Love Regina 10K, June 2011).

New (Official) PR: 1:05:17 (third time this year I've set a new personal best)

Placements: 20/37 in women 30-39; 109/187 overall. 

I hope I'm the first in this group to set a new PR and the rest of you are as successful in your races. Now to keep this new level of fitness I've acquired and try to keep my mileage at a decent level. I'm not signed up for anything now until the Resolution Run 5K on January 01. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

HappyFeat

Matt - wow fantastic job on your longest long run to date - 18 miles!! That's exciting for you and inspiring for me to read how well it went.

Meg - congratulations on a new PR! You worked hard for it.

I'm taking it easy this week, no long run this weekend. Back at it next week.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I'm taking it easy this week, no long run this weekend. Back at it next week.

You've definitely earned that bit of a break. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Not a race, but an official lead up event so here is a report Approve

At the last minute this morning when i awoke 90 minutes before the start, I decided to do my planned official lead up 32km event which was staged just down the road. Although my 10km yesterday was a bit of a struggle, the injured abs felt pretty much back to normal when I got out of bed today so i decided to take the opportunity to rescue my week.

I hadn't registered with my injury last week, I hadn't carbo loaded and my training was not ideal.  It was a very windy day but at least the forecast rain looked unlikely.  The course was on an exposed, flat but tight corner ridden course on road and off road, 8km loop

I started off happy that my lower ab pain was minimal and evaporated in the first 500 metres.  I  thought I was on an easy pace but flew effortlessly through the first 8km lap in less than 38mins.  It didn't feel like I had gone out too fast but I was to pay. As the event had 8km, 16km, 24km and 32km options it was difficult to know if the person beside you was off for a quick 8km or settling in for the full 4 laps. Easy to get towed along.

The 2nd lap was a bit slower as I settled more into my planned pace of 5min kms and went through the 16km mark at 1:18 so a 40 minute lap right on pace.  It didnt feel quite as good as I would have hoped for.

The 3rd lap was tough with the wind really picking up and a little drizzle.  The tight turns on gravel path seemed to take an age to accelerate out of. However there was two long flat road sections to balance that too and luckily today the wind was not from the usual west so it cut across these sections.  Half marathon distance in about 1:45. I past through lap 3 in just a shade over 2:00 hours. 42 minute lap

I had decided not to "race" the last lap and probably just as well as it was a struggle between km 24 and 28 I didn't have much more to give. I didnt have much more to give in the legs. Over the paths again where a good 2 or 3 young people passed me strongly and were soon miles away grrr.  I did however drop a fit looking lady that I had passed and been passed by many times on the first 3 laps.  Last 4kms I picked up again and would have been on 5min kms but the damage was done early in the lap.  The last 300m odd my daughter ran with me and I finished good and strong. 42 minute lap

32km Final time tbc was around 2:41:50

Considering I could hardly walk on tuesday, I had run 17km on Friday, 10km yesterday, had not carbo loaded at all yesterday, and rushed to the line this morning bolting down some breakfast I am prettty happy.  Another 10kms could well have taken me 60 minutes at today. It was starting to hurt but I guess I have to prepare my mind to run 10km of hard slog. My pacing wasn't perfect but hey neither is life.

Thats me, 2 days into October I have clocked 42km Big grin

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:
            Run the 75km Hillary Trail in a day (done 10/3/2012)

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Ten + races on the calendar for this group this month. Final prep for many, race weekend already for some.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Long - long run for me today. 18 miles is 3 miles further than I have ever run before. In the last couple of weeks I have been told a couple of runners tales of woe from folks who's marathon training has fallen apart at this stage and I must admit to looking at the route a few times last night and thinking.... how the heck am I going to do that?

Fortunately I got some good fueling advice from a husband of one of my wife's friend's husbands (don't ask!) who recently biked Leadville. So fully fueled with pasta from the night before and a banana in the morning I set off this morning with the aim of trying to keep a 10min/mile pace for the full 18 miles. I went through 6 miles at exactly an hour, 12 miles just before 2 hours and felt so good at the end that as I cruised back into my neighborhood (2 miles to go) I was pushing an 8:30 pace and ran the last mile in under 8 mins. I ate two packs of shotbloks on the way round and drank 20oz of Powerade. Felt like a bit of a breakthrough run at the end ...18 miles in 2:53. Ttomorrow morning we will see if I can get out of bed! Smile

How did the races go Meg & LR?

Nice work Matt. Sometimes it is just good for the head to go out and extend yourself I think.

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:
              Run the 75km Hillary Trail in a day (done 10/3/2012)

Thanks for all the encouragement everyone. It's 6 am and the run is at 8, and it's pouring rain. This should be fun, I'll post when I'm done!
                HappyFeat

Congrats on speedy healing and running Vino!

Good luck, Lakerunner!

an amazing likeness

Knocked off one of those planned races this morning at the Maine Half Marathon. 

The weather was....miserable.  54F, heavy rain, wind from the north in our faces for the first 7 miles. But it was the same for everyone, so no use whining about it.  But for some reason I can't really explain...I hate wet feet. 

I'll write up a more detailed race report when the results get posted, but I may (repeat "may") have run a lifetime PR. I have 1:39:08 on my watch, but since the race started while I was standing in 6" of water waiting at the baggage check, who knows what official times will be.

Ok, so here's something unique....late yesterday, the RD sent out an email and posted on the race's web site telling everyone that the race bibs had the timing chips mounted wrong and the numbers needed to be worn sideways.  Can you imagine the RD's nightmare when he found out late on the day before the area's signature event that there was a problem with 3,500 bibs !

As you walked to the starting chute they were yelling out to change your bib, and everyone had them under 30 layers of clothes because of the weather.  It seems funny now....now.

Oh, I did use Matt's 5 mile + 5 mile + 5K method Wink, and if I did run a PR it was earned in that last 5K because I was below PR pace the whole time.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Does it count as a PR if it's your first race? I did it! I was and am so thrilled to have completed a half! My time was 2:32: and some seconds which I was unable to comprehend. The results were not up yet when I checked. The course was great, flat and scenic, but the whole time it was pouring rain and 47 F. 

The first 5 miles felt fantastic; I ran strong and confident, and had fun. The second five miles was a bit tougher, but I just zoned out to my iPod and kept up the pace. The last three miles tested my resolve and my leg strength. I kept repeating all your words of advice and encouragement and managed to keep it up to finish very close to my unofficial goal time of 2:30:00. I attribute the extra 2 minutes to the lbs of water I carried in my completely saturated clothes and shoes. 

I can't thank you all enough for your help and encouragement.!

HappyFeat

Lakerunner, you DID it!!!

Fantastic finish time and great job persevering.

MilkTruck, congratulations on the Lifetime PR, especially in such stormy weather. You must be thrilled.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Lakerunner, the person who starts the race is not the same one who finishes. Good job and definitely count that PR! You did the work, you finished the race and earned that medal! Smile

Milktruck, that's awesome! What a tough one to run in!

Looks like we are off to a great start to October in this forum! Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Official chip time result: 2:31:52

I'm so happy!!!!

Awesome job everyone.  Keep up the good work.  Congrats Lakerunner on your first race/PR.  You have to start somewhere.

Run, Walk, Crawl, just Finish.

HF # 1189

Wow, lots of excitement to start off the month!

Nice run Matt, strong finish. A good confidence builder for you.

Congratulations to all the racers- I enjoy reading about your achievements.

Meg, you should look for a 5k- since you ran 1:05 for 10 I am sure you can go sub 30minutes, it would cap a good year for you, just a thought!

Lakerunner, its definitely a PB (Canadian terminology); my first race was also a half, I remember the satisfaction of reaching my goal.

Vino, nice race, you are doing a lot of fast miles recently, make sure you get enough recovery.

Milktruck, under 100 minutes, nice round number! All the hard work paid off.

Ran 17k in the rain yesterday, step ups and push ups the day before.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.