Half Marathon Trainers

HMT - October 2011 (Read 517 times)

I agree - what a great start to October y'all!

Meg - looks like great weather for a race. Nice work on the new PR.

Vino - very solid... how are you possibly going to keep your legs still while you taper? Wink

LR - Awesome! As everyone says, of course it's a PR. Not great weather for a run (sounds like you and Andy were dealing with similar soggy situations) but a great result.... of course, we all knew you could do it! When's the next one?

Andy - What a nightmare with the bibs but hey - Sub 1:40 is very, very cool - great to see training pay off.

Simon - Nice steady run. Some good consistency recently?

My long run seems to have done no harm as I was up and out for my Monday morning jaunt today.

Geographical SNAFU on my part with my race this weekend. Got the locations of Tyler, TX and Terrell, TX confused when I was searching for a fall HM and turns out I will have to be out the door at 4am this Sunday, to make the two hour forty five minute drive Surprised from DFW to the start line! DOH! Black eye

Keep up the good work all!

2017 Goals
    1) Run more than 231 miles
    2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

yeah been a bit too quick lately. had today off and just did some hill walking for an hour or so. legs are a bit shot!!

get a few back to back slow 10kms this week and freshen up

been concentrating on eating heaps too ... buring the calories like crazy!!

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:
      Run the 75km Hillary Trail in a day (done 10/3/2012)

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Hey Matt

Off to the RWC France vs England Quarter Final on Saturday.  Free tickets too.  Great place to celebrate 17yrs of marriage??  Smile

Such a busy weekend this weekend trying to fit so so much in!!

Easy 10km today, felt good and managed to keep the pace easy the whole way at 5:21. First 500m odd still hurts though, my abs haven't completely healed but its not bad enough to stop me training or doing my marathon.  It may knock 30 seconds off my time as I warm into the run but who cares.

I am not thinking taper yet.  I have decided to do one more 30km either this weekend or early next week, then a 20km 2 weeks out and twin 12km odd the weekend before.  One could argue that my 70km last week was really a "taper" anyway and that taper means dropping off 100-120km a week not dropping off 70-90km a week.

Tomorrow looks like im gonna have to get up early to run I got a busy day with a lunch and then kids running prizegiving straight after work!

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:

Hey Matt

Off to the RWC France vs England Quarter Final on Saturday.  Free tickets too.  Great place to celebrate 17yrs of marriage??  Smile

The game is on at 02:30am Saturday Morning my time... it's not on TV... I will probably only see the highlights! - Jealous! Enjoy!

(as a side note, for my 12th WA in a week or so's time, my wife and I are going to the "So You think You can dance" live show... that's gotta be worth some brownie points Blush)

2 days off before this w/e's race right now for me - quite enjoying the downtime!

2017 Goals

Good luck Matt! Hope the weather cooperates for a great run! 

I'm on course marshall duty Sunday for a marathon nearby. It seems fitting to do my part to give back after my half. Cool

HappyFeat

Good luck Matt! So you're not dealing with any pre-race nerves? You've run so much farther, this is probably a piece of cake for you. Bummer about the long drive beforehand  - hopefully you'll have some time to stretch and warmup to get any kinks out before the race.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

an amazing likeness

Go Matt ! 

You'll be ok after the drive...just leave enough time to jog easy for about a mile and finish after that with a few hard strides.  Aim for finishing your warm up about 15 minutes before the start and that usually shakes out the kinks...for me, at least.

5mi + 5mi + 5k !

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Last 30.6km training today.  it was a bit of a struggle as I expected.  Took me 2:49 which is over 10 minutes slower than the last 2 or 3 I have done.  it was a hot day and I think the miles are getting to me.

However now I guess i am on taper.  looking to freshen up...3 weeks and it will all be over

Probably do 20 km on flat this weekend and just some easy 10kms in between ensuring the body starts to recover from the miles I have inflicted on it over the last 2 months

Go The All Blacks, the only unbeaten team to make the semi finals

Personal Race Records:

2012 Goals:

Thanks y'all - quick post from me - race report tonight, probably.

Unofficial time of 1:53:39 - not a PR (missed by 80 seconds) but pleased, for the most part, with that on a hilly course, given this is not the goal race.

2017 Goals

Hope everyone's OK - it's all gone quiet! Smile

I'll assume it's beacuse everyone is training so hard! Nothing but miles to report from here - it's pretty vanilla right now.

Andy, how did the Marathon go?

2017 Goals

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Matt, I wish I had something to report. I've been down with a rotten cold for the last 2 weeks and tomorrow might finally be well enough to run. I took a week off, tried a run which I hacked and coughed during walk breaks, took more time off because I just couldn't shake it. Now, I'm finally well enough to get back out I think. Here's hoping. Also got our treadmill this weekend so that will help when it gets too miserable to run outside as much or when time is not cooperative.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

had a good 20km and 11km trail run in the weekend. less than 2 weeks to go

now i've landed a head cold and feel rubbish today. luckily a day i intended to rest anyway. Dose up and early night, i need to kick this thing

and go the all blacks. finals time on sunday what a party that will be (not toooo much alcohol though!!) ;-)

all i am really planning now is a number of hour long runs to lead into the big day with 2 or 3 rest days ensuring i keep fresh

Personal Race Records:

2012 Goals:

All Blacks defeated the Australians- well done!

I managed my longest run in a while yesterday, just short of 20k. Should have worn thin gloves as it was cool and rained a little, but at least I  made some progress. Not likely to reach 200kms for the month but we shall see.

Exciting results from the Scotiabank Marathon yesterday, 6 of the top 10 finishers were Canadian, though the international field was not especially strong. Two of the six reached Olympic A standard of 2;11;35.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

I have been exercising (ha) an (over?) abundance of caution, and laying off the foot - pretty much all elliptical (and it's so incredibly thrilling that I don't even bother to log them all).

Anyway, plan to start running again a week from today. And I cannot...friggen...wait.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                              We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                                Exciting results from the Scotiabank Marathon yesterday, 6 of the top 10 finishers were Canadian, though the international field was not especially strong. Two of the six reached Olympic A standard of 2;11;35.

Not just the top finishers making the news:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-15330421

Wow!

2017 Goals