Half Marathon Trainers

Realistic Goal? (Read 44 times)

Hello All!

I'm new the the forum and relatively new to running, so I need some input.

Recently, I ran my 2nd HM in a time of 2:14:21.  Now, I have my mind set on finishing one in under 2 hours.

My next HM is March 2 and I am planning on a 16 week training program, which will start November 11.  Is this an achievable goal this early or am I fooling myself into thinking I can do it?

Zelanie

Welcome!  Getting to under 2 hours at some point?  Probably.  Getting there in your next half?  Who knows?  In looking at your log, it looks like you just got back to running in August, is that correct?  If so, getting consistent mileage over the winter will probably do wonders for you.  Whether it will produce that exact number you're looking for, I don't think anybody can predict.  But if you enjoy running look forward to running your next half, then it will be worth it either way, right?

Thanks!  Yes,  just started back in August.  The last time I trained during the winter months was AWESOME!  I'm hoping for a similar experience this time around.  I'll plan on training with the goal of finishing under 2 hours, but have fun with the race regardless.  If I do it, great!  If not, oh well... maybe next time.  I just wanted to get people's opinions about whether or not it was realistic.

nra4life, welcome to the forums and especally to this group.

Is it achieveable yes, but so many factors come into play, such as what is you past running experience (year/times/distance and mileage), as well as your age and available times to run.

Training over the winter can be dependent on your area (an unknown), but I'll guess that you are in a warm climate since you said it was awesome.

I just made comeback this summer and set a goal of 2 hrs, which at the time seemed like a stretch and in about 10 weeks not only made the goal but shattered it and ran a 1:54.  However understand that 4 years ago I ran a 1:40, so although 4 years had passed and I've had health issues, it was within my abilities already.

So the question is, do you feel that you can shave more than a minute off of your miles and sustain it?

My humble opinion is that I think (without knowing all the facts) that you're capable of doing it, but you will need to increase your runs and increase tempo to which you will probably have to add some speedwork in as well.

Running should be fun and in order to reach your goal, you will probably have to more dedicated than before and be a bit driven.  It may take some of the fun away!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to talk you out of it, I think all of here have drive issues (push too hard) and you should shoot for the goal and you've come to a good place for share (both ways), bear your soul on the bad days and scream in joy on the good days and along the way pick up some advice on lessons learned and experience.  I don't think any of us pretend to be experts here, but there are some very good runners with a lot of experience.

So if you're game, why not start with getting your race listed on the race calendar (go to that thread/sticky) put in the information and MilkTruck will take it from there.

Next, share your running plan with the group, you might get some good input and feedback on it.

Then, you might want to think about opening up your profile (that's a personal preference) so we know a bit more about you.

Larry

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

hog4life

NRA, I'll throw my $.02 cents in by adding that I think it is highly possible, but maybe a stretch goal to aim for. Maybe shoot for shaving 10 minutes for the next one, and if things go better than planned, then you might just hit the sub 2:00. All the advice is spot on, and it depends on you, your dedication, commitment to training, how much life gets in the way, etc.

Bear in mind, that some runs are good, and some are bad. Build through the winter as you stated, stay active in this group, review you goals and paces along the way, and then as you get closer to the big day, adjust the goals as needed.

Welcome to the group!

Mitch

Thanks for all the feedback.  This is great!

I updated my profile and hopefully opened it up.  Also, I put in my training plan.  Since the racing thread refers to 2013, I'll wait to post my upcoming race.

When I said running during the winter was awesome, I was actually talking about the cold.  There were at lease 2 days I ran when I remember pulling ice out of my beard.  Cold weather running is my favorite.  I'm not a fan of running in hot/humid weather, but that's the typical weather here.

an amazing likeness

Welcome!

I think it helps to look at some data / numbers....to run a sub-2 HM, you need to run about a 9:00 min/mile pace.

Looking at your log, you are running your tempo workouts at about that target pace for ~5mi.  So another way to phrase your question would be "...is 16 weeks enough time to get my tempo distance up to 8 - 10mi at 8:55 pace..?".  Sure it is.  16 weeks is 4 months.  But there are caveats:

1. you have to stay healthy so that you can log 20 - 30 base miles/week, every week.

2. you'll want to be able to run base miles steadily each week, and slower than you're running your current workouts

If you're able to steadily log 25 - 35 miles per week between now and Feb,  with most days being easy runs to build base...you should have a good shot at hitting your 2 hour goal.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Cyberic

Don't have much experience myself, but I think that the goal you have set for yourself  is achievable. The advice the others gave you is very good. Train smart and regularly.

I will do my best to stay healthy and log the miles.

Knowing that other people think this is doable is encouraging and what I was looking for.

Thanks!

Josh

I'd echo milktruck's advice.  Sub-2 hours is possible, but depends on a lot of things.  Build your base, but do it smartly to stay healthy.  Slow down on most of your runs, so you can run longer.  Run fast occasionally.  Do that over several months and you will see big improvements.

When I started running consistently, I ran a 2:13 PR and then put down 6 months of good base running peaking ~40 mpw to run a 1:54 Half.  Most of my work was done slower than 10:30 pace.

I really like reading all this advice since I am also new to HM and trying to improve a lot by February!  This is not so much of a training tip as a psychological tip but I like to set three goals -- a Shoot for the Stars goal (something that I hope is achievable but is maybe a bit of a stretch), a Middle goal (something that will take work to achieve but isn't quite as exciting as the Shoot for the Stars goal),and a Tertiary goal (something that I'm pretty darn sure I can achieve, such as my first HM goal of just finishing, or my second HM goal of just improving to any degree).  That way, I'm happy and making progress even if I don't hit my dream goal.

Current PRs:  Half-marathon: 2:04:46 (Nov. 2013) /10k: 55:01 (Oct. 2013)/ 5K: 25:40 (Dec. 2013)

Upcoming races:  5k Jan. 25, 2013

Half marathon Feb. 23, 2014

Pandora, that's a great idea -- 3 goals.  I suppose finishing should always be my ultimate goal.

Right now, I'm working on adding more miles per week and slowing down my easy/long run pace to build a good base.