Half Marathon Trainers

Race Reports (Read 1729 times)

Lu481

Larry congrats on your 5k finish, and the medal...  That's awesome.

Teresa, well done on your half.  Sorry you missed out on the beer.

Awaldvogel, that's an awesome time for a first 1/2.

And great race reports,

Lu

My apologies, I posted a brief report on the regular thread, having forgotten about this one-anyway here are a few more details..

My son and i got a ride down with a friend which was very nice of him as this is really not much of a spectator sport, and it meant we did not have to bus or subway back to the start.

Beautiful weather, below 40F and clear, not too many water stops needed (I made 3 actually). At the start they announced Bill Rogers (Boston Billy) was running, and also Jaqueline Gareau, she was the Canadian runner who won Boston in 1980, but initially was thought to have come second behind the now infamous Rosie Ruiz. Loud cheers for Rogers, not so much for Gareau, fame is fickle!

Six minutes to start I took off my track pants, rolled them up and threw them, a minute later my track suit top, lots of others followed suit, now to get down to business. Airhorn starts us off, I cross the line in about 20 seconds as I am near the front of 4,900 people, a young woman flies past to my right and I see there is a lane open by the curb (or kerb if you run in American). Settle down trying to find my pace, up the hill to the first water station at 5k, my split is 23:17, looking good. Still cool, glad I wore tights and long sleeved shirt not shorts.

Second split comes up in 23:12, getting warmer, throw away my gloves at 11kms (7 miles roughly.)

The next section is flat tio downhill, I am more conscious of the effort now, 5k split in 22:29 only 21 seconds off my 5kPB, though downhill of course. I am passing people slowly but steadily now.

We turn up into the city again, I am behind two guys running side by side but apart, I decide to go between them, but they are almost shoulder to shoulder now. For some reason this does not seem to register and I say "coming through" and rudely push past- completely out of character for me. 

About the last two miles are very gently uphill, I am passing more people but cannot read the signs people are holding up, my peripheral vision is going blurry, no idea of my pace but it is extremely hard to keep on pace, I get the feeling I am just hanging on, the last 5k split is 23:13.

I cross the line and stagger into someone who supports me for a few seconds until I can stand by myself- final time 1:37:22, average pace 7:28/mile.

Celebration part and bragging at home, my son did the full in 3:47 and his buddy BQ'd at his first attempt, great day for all of us.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Prince of Fatness

Looks like you left nothing on the course, Simon.  Nice.  I looked the age grade up for that and it was 73.8.  Very good.

Congrats.

Not at it at all. 

Thanks Lu, I am happy with the result. 

Great race Simon!  Better update that PB in your sig.

Simon, Great race and great pace 7:28. 

Thanks for sharing.

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Thanks guys!

I am trying to decide what to do next, maybe concentrate on 5 and 10k where I am sure I can improve my PB's or train hard all winter and try for a 1:35  half in the spring. (That seems like a very tough target, but you don't knopw till you try.

What are you guys planning to do?

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Gone all jock on y'all.

I want to boast... United just sent me my official results for my half (my first ever) and I am very proud.  Now I just need to do the Intermediate half training for the Spring so I can improve my time.  I'd like to do a sub 2!

Gun Time: 2:10:34.12 
                Net Time: 2:09:13  

Pace: 9:52
                Overall Place: 882 (out of 1,600)
                Place in your Division: 77
                Total runners in your Division: 210
                Place in your Gender: 404
                Total runners in your Gender: 974

I is runnink! Lil Rhody Runaround - 8 miles 11/22/09 Charlestown RI 2010 Aspirin' to: Cox 1/2 Marathon, Providence RI. Shad 10K trail race, Block Island, RI. More stuff, then AMICA full marathon October 2010! Ran a bunch this year, including my first 1/2 October 18th, 2009. Yay!
                JoeInTX

Anj - Again, great job on your first 1/2! 

Anj, Congratulations on your first HM.  Takes a lot of dedication and hard work to pull it off.

Larry

LPH

redleaf

Very cool Anj. Congrats on a great time on your first 1/2!

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

congrats anj! Great job

Bad news on the Fort Worth Marathon - we lost a runner. Clines Running Corner, http://www.clinesrunningcorner.com/index.html, reports, "ace founder/director Steve Looney also expressed condolences to the Lyndon Laseman family. The 49-year-old from Henrietta collapsed after the 20-mile event, was administered CPR and taken to Harris Methodist Hospital. He didn't survive."

Puts a damper on things!

bob e v
                        2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Sorry to hear of the loss, I'm assuming a must have been a major Heart Atttack, to go that quickly!

We lost a local 40ish runner here in CT last week, he was hit and killed by a car.  I know the area of the accident and have run the Rail to Trail section there.  It's not clear yet if he was on the trail and was crossing the road or if he was in the road itself as he lived on that road very very close to where the Trail crosses the road. 

The road right there takes a couple of sharp turns and people ignore the posted 20-25 MPH speed limit and the warning of Pedestrian Crossing never mind that the pedestrian has the right of way. 

He was Life Starred to local hospital and it sounds like he was DOA, so he must have been clocked pretty hard. 

Larry

Update 11/28/09- I found out from another runner today, that I actually knew the guy who was killed.  He was a year older than me and had been quite a runne rin his day and still was a great runner.  Still haven't heard any details of the accident.  Just one of those guys that everyone likes, very friendly and seemed to always smile. 

LPH

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Finished the challenging Atlanta Half Marathon in 3:00:27 (by my gps) which is well withing the 3:15 objective I had set because of all the hills, some long and steep. If I had realized that I only needed a minute to beat the 11/8 FW Half for a pb I would have pushed it a bit. As it is my son came back after achieving a 1:38 pb and ran the last two miles with me. I finished strong running continuously for the last mi in a bit over 12 pace.

I tried to hook up with some RA'ers at Waffle house near the start but didn't identify them. Jim, MrPHinNJ was supposed to be there. I saw someone in the correct color shirt but he was with three others and I thought Jim was going to be with one other person, so I didn't say anything. It was close to when we had to get to the corrals so I passed up the opportunity. I hope he ran a good race!

bob e v
                            2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Prince of Fatness

Sorry I didn't see you there Bob.  I wasn't there too long, and it was right before the race.  I did see PerfesserR there.  And you're right about the course.  The last half of the race seemed to be all up hill.  I was shooting for sub 1:40 but missed it by about 30 seconds.  it was an enjoyable well run race, though.  Happy Thanksgiving!

Not at it at all. 

update Goshen Thanksgiving day 10K -

Results are finally in.  I ran a 47:59/7:45 and was 114th out of 614 runners (although some were walkers)

The weather was fantastic, right around 50 degrees, no rain, no drizzle and for this part of CT at this time of the year, this was certainly mild.  I've watched my son race here in 20 degree weather another in a snowstorm. 

Pretty well run race, except that they had a larger crowd than previous years and were short on the porta pottys, so the race director delayed the race for almost 10 minutes for everyone still in line to use them.

Seemed really strange having my son there to watch me verses how many years I was there and watched him run this race. 

It had rained here most of Sat, so the course was a little wet in places, but the spot where we run through the woods was  pretty clear and had drained well.

Well, I did not PR this race.  I ran an unofficial (the results aren't up yet) 48:00 and did not have a good race, but that is nobodies fault other than my own. 

I really slacked off running (intentionally) since my back to back PRs in the HM and then a week later my 5K and decided that I had pushed enough for the year and it was time to relax a bit. 

So the hills on this course killed me, my legs were tired and weak and I had to walk several times. 

I did have a great finish though as I entered back into agricultral center, with about .1 mile to go, there were two guys just ahead of me.  I opened my stride and closed the gap, passed one of them and they both picked the pace up and he repassed me. As we ran past my son with about 40M to go, I heard my son telling me to take one of them, take one of them.  So I found just a little bit more left, passed him again and probably could have cut the other off at the finish line, but since the position and time meant nothing, I settle for finishing along side of him.

So next year, I want to take this course.  I'm vowing to stay fit at the end of the seaon and move the end of my season up to Turkey Day.

Larry

LPH