Half Marathon Trainers

Race Reports (Read 1729 times)

Re the runner who passed away, any news about the cause etc?

Little for me to add other than what has been reported in the press:

Mark was running with his brother. They ran a 1:47 with little difficulty by all accounts and then he just collapsed. I crossed the line about 12 minutes after them and saw the medics administering CPR before taking Mark off in an ambulance. The autopsy results are due out late this afternoon. I don't know if they will be made public.

2017 Goals
    1) Run more than 231 miles
    2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

Crossed the line with a chip time, and new PR by 9 mins, of 1:53:34

Great job Matt!

This group is very motivating.

Excellent run, Matt!  You CRUSHED your old PR!
          Canyonlands Half Marathon, 20 March, 2010

Race was AWESOME!!!  Beautiful weather and I set a PR!!!!

Day started at 6:00 with coffee, water, a Pop-Tart, and a Powerbar.  Headed down to runner shuttle pickup at 7:45.  They shuttled us up canyon to the race start.  It was COLD.....below freezing when we left and probably only in the mid 40s (Fahrenheit)  at race start.  It didn't help that we were in the shade of the canyon even when the sun was up.  Runners dropped off "sweats" bag about 20-25 minutes before race start where we assembled in mass.

Here is just a tangent rant at this point.   What is it with people?!?!?!?!  No less than 10 times the race announcer instructed people to make it to the race start line and that port-o-lets were also up at the start line.  Everyone languished around and then at the last minute there were hundreds of people waiting in the line for the toilets.  Worse yet, there were dozens and dozens of men and women who were just heading up among the rocks (or not) to relieve themselves basically out in the open.  I can understand needing to relieve myself, but holy cow were people given the chance to do it with plenty of time.  OK, back to my report.

Race started 5 or 10 minutes late (10:00 scheduled start).  Sun was out and not a cloud in the sky.  Crisp clear sun and views that you cannot believe.

I ran the first few miles at increasing pace.  I think mid run I slowed down because I feared being able to keep the pace I set.  I backed off and there were a couple of minor hills in there.  I did realize at about mile 9 or so that I couldn't keep that overall pace and that all I had to do was to keep a relatively easy and consistent pace.  My original goal was to just have fun here and try for a sub 2:00 race.  When I saw my pace at like mile 7 or 8 I figured I might be able to set a PR.  I was out of gas, though, but just kept plugging away.

Set PR at 1:52:15!!!  Check out the pictures......

Keep the running and fitness up and keep the weight from coming back.

Run more miles than last year.

Great stuff Sean. Nice running and great pics!

Next stop... under 1:50:00?

Also... dammit man!

You go under two hours at the end of Jan ... I go under two hours and beat your (old) PR by a couple of minutes and you don't let me bask in the success of that for even a week before bringing in your next PR .... over a minute faster than mine! Way to keep the pressure on 

MTA: Pics from the Dallas Rock & Roll half. Scenery was different:

2017 Goals

Matt, I WISH I had scenery like that where I was......LOL.

I would love to hit that 1:50:00 mark for the HM.  I think the only way I could do it is to bump to 5 days per week running and getting some speed work into my regime.  I honestly don't think I have the time or the energy to do that at this point.  If my life and my work schedules were different right now, I would love to kick it up and get there.  I am just happy to be fit and see progress still being made.  I think there is still room for improvement even where I am at......I need to loose another 10 lbs. probably and kick the beer habit I have is all.  ;-)

Well, good luck to your training and I hope your next race you can leap-frog over this PR of mine and set a new bar for me.

Cheers, man!

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Your pictures are fantastic! Looks like an amazing place to race and to kick your PR like that is huge! Nicely done! 

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Well, had a great race this AM......set a PR.  I was 11 seconds short of a stretch goal for me today.  All-in-all, a pretty good day.

UNOFFICIAL TIME (my watch):  1:50:11

OFFICIAL TIME: 1:50:10

Race day started at 4:00 AM with a bowl of Kashi cereal followed by getting all dressed and ready to go.  My friend picked me up at 5:00 to head to the race.  We were REALLY early but we decided to go get coffee and watch the marathon group take off at 6:00.  We waited around, stretched a bit and people-watched.

Assembled in our corral with like 20 to 25 minutes to go.  National anthem.....race director address....yada, yada, yada.

Weather couldn't have been better.  It has been cloudy, rainy, snow even this week in Denver.  This morning it was crystal clear and somewhere between 40 and 45 F at the race start.

I went out fast......yeah, I know, rookie move.  Usually when I set a pace, though, I just cannot slow down, so I figured if I was going to PR, I needed to set an aggressive pace early.  To hit 1:50:00 (goal), I needed to finish with an average pace of 8:24 per mile.  Through 2/3 of the race I was at 8:15 and then I just crashed.  During the last 4 miles I probably took 4 or 5 walk breaks and just had ran out of gas.  I knew the last 1 or 2 miles had a slight down hill, so if I could only get through a flat section (which SUCKED), maybe I could speed it up a bit coming into the finish.  Check my pace graph......I was able to do just that and had nothing else to give at the end.

A hard race, for sure, but results were good.

Great Stuff Sean - You are having an awesome year mate - keep it up!

2017 Goals

Great Stuff Sean - You are having an awesome year mate - keep it up!

+1

Brooklyn Half Marathon - 5/22/10 - 07:00 - 61ºF

The course consists of 2, 3.5 mile laps around Prospect Park and then a straight shot down Ocean Pkwy to Coney Island with the last half mile or so on the boardwalk. There is one moderate hill in the park which obviously we had to run twice.  The rest of the race is almost completely flat.
                        Race day organization was very good, with lots of signage, an abundance of volunteers, water stations, and medical staff, plenty of port-o-potties, and though I didn't use the bag check, it seemed to be running smoothly.

I went into the race with a goal of sub 1:40, but figured everything would have to line up just right for it to happen.

3 days before the race, I had a brutal side-stitch (1st time in months) which still felt slightly uncomfortable the morning of the race. I'm not sure what was going on with my stomach but I was worried it would flare up again and ruin the day.

Before the race with my brother-in-law (I'm on the right)

• Mile 1 7:43 - Typical first mile of a large race, it took 2 minutes to cross the start line, and I had to do a lot of extra work running around people who felt a need to line up with the 5 and 6min/mile runners.  I'm sure it cost me a few seconds, but it's to be expected.
                        • Mile 2 7:48 - I eased up a bit on the pace since it was mostly uphill. The idea was to do as little work as possible on the hills and still be in a position to make a run at it in the second half, once we got out of the park.
                        • Mile 3&4 7:31,7:29 - trending downhill, let gravity help. At this point the crowd thinned out enough to attempt to run the tangents.        

Looking goofy about 3 miles in

• Mile 5&6 7:51,7:48 - Uphill again, and the stomach started acting up.  Fortunately, running hunched over at the waist at practically a 90º angle for about 20 seconds was enough to make the pain go away.  Somehow I managed to do this without tripping, though I'm sure I looked ridiculous. I needed to do this about 4 more times throughout the race, but thankfully did not have to stop at any point.
                        • Mile 7-10 7:34,7:32,7:31,7:31 - With the hills behind me I wouldn't say I was feeling strong, but I was OK, and started pushing the pace, as planned.
                        • Mile 11 7:30 - This is where the pain started to set in, but was able to keep pace.
                        • Mile 12 7:39 - About half way through mile 12 the gas tank hit E. I knew I needed to run sub-1:30 to have a shot at 1:39:59, but no matter what I tried mentally and physically it just wasn't there.  I was right on the verge of completely falling apart, as someone just ahead of me turned off and prepared to hurl.  Thankfully I got passed him before he did, or I'm fairly certain I would have joined him.  At this point I knew my shot at 1:40 was gone.
                        • Mile 13 7:29 (last 0.23@7:24 - garmin 305 had it at 13.23m) - After good crowd support in the park and basically no crowd support for miles 8-12, we reached the boardwalk in Coney Island.  In addition to being a really cool place to finish, the crowd was great and I was able to accelerate the last 1/2 mile or so with the finish line in sight.

Dramatic finish for the cameras 

Chip time 1:40:18 (forgot to stop the garmin for a bit) - #978 out of 7006 finishers

This is a PR of roughly 8 minutes since my 1st half marathon was 1:44:35, but was only 12.6 miles.
                        I mentioned a few excuses above (crowded, stomach, etc.) for the 18 seconds, but at the end of the day it really came down to my fitness coming up just a little short.  About 1.5 miles short.  For the next half, whenever that will be, the plan will be to get in a few more long runs and up the weekly milage for the last few weeks from 30 to 35 or 40.

That being said, I'm really happy with the results and feel I ran the best race I was capable of running on that day.

My brother-in-law ran with me which made it even more fun, finishing his first half in 1:39:24, feeling "good the whole way".  He's a stronger runner than I am, which is great since it gives me something to chase.

My #1 fan - DW

Not a half marathon, but I did race today......the Bolder Boulder 10K.  Runner's World calls it the greatest 10K evidently.  I am not one for huge races, but this is one of the biggest...........over 50,000 and I heard this year could have been 54,000 in total.  For that many people, the race organizers do an awesome job and there are really no glitches that I saw.

Ran a PR at 50:47.  My goal was to break 50:00, but I just wasn't feeling it today.

Here is a picture of me in the stadium at the finish.....in the bright green shirt.

Pace chart from my Garmin too.

Edited to get the image links corrected.

Great PR (again!!!) Sean - one of these days you are going to run a race and not get one.... then what will you do?

I also had a 10k today. American Hero's 10k in Arlington TX.

Goal for the year is to go under 53:00. Today's stretch goal was under 52:00 (I ran a 10k split in a 15k in Jan in 52:08).

Safe to say that today was not the day. 82F on the start line, a little windy + quite humid. I can't blame the weather, I just was not trained for it. First mile was OK but about 1.5 miles in I knew that 52' or 53' was not going to happen. Switched to my backup goal of trying to make 54'. To summarize the rest of the race - I just died on my arse in the heat!

I am pleased that:

1. I finished without walking and;
                            2. I realized early enough that I was going way too fast and slowed down soon enough to adjust my pace.

A year ago I would have kept on at that pace for another mile and then walked the last 4 miles home!

Waiting for my official results but Garmin clocked me at 54:01.06 so failed to even meet the backup goal! Sometimes them's the breaks.

Still, a great event supporting all branches of the military with a phenomenal Apache flyover at the start.

Thanks to all who serve or have served.

There will be another 10k - hopefully a little cooler next time!

2017 Goals

Matt, nice job on the 10K..........WOW, 82F at the start, and humid?!?!!?   UGH!!!! We started at maybe 50 or 55 degrees and by the end I was a bit too hot.....maybe 60-65.  I cannot imagine 82 and humid.

You may be surprised at your official time.......hopefully they have you at 53:59 or less.....you never know, it could be.

You may be surprised at your official time.......hopefully they have you at 53:59 or less.....you never know, it could be.

Officially 54:00.60 - LOL, missed by sixth tenths of a second!

That said, I entered the "Clydesdale" (Fat Boy) category for the event and came second, out of 13.

2017 Goals