Half Marathon Trainers

Race Reports (Read 1729 times)

Great race and a great report!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

OK - A bit weird writing a race report for a DNS but wanted to share today's un-race.

Today I did not run the Brambleton Ribbon Run 5k. I had originally signed up to run because my better half has just started running and this was going to be her first race. I was going to run along with her and hopefully be more encouraging than annoying - although this would have probably been a judgement call.

Well as things transpired the kids soccer games ended up clashing, only one of us could race; so I chilled my behind on the sidelines for an hour or so while my wife went off to race solo.

We've been together for 19 years and while she has always been sporty, she has never run. She dislocated her knee playing field hockey many years ago and ever since has been pretty anti running! About 8 weeks ago she started her own C25K (She's a spinner so that would be Cycle-to-5K!); picked a race, set a target of "under 30 mins" and went out for the first time; she managed 2 miles walk/run. Her training went OK until last Tuesday when she tripped over our 4 year old. He has this great habit of walking in front of you and just stopping (don't ask!). She crashed down and bruised her left shoulder, hip, thigh and ankle. Most frustratingly she tweaked her "bad" knee. Thursday she managed to do a few miles stopping and starting. I honestly did not know if she was going to race. This morning she went out the door and ran 29:34... with a bruise on her leg the size of well.... a 4 year old!

I'm really proud of her...  and we have signed up for a 10k in a few weeks time which hopefully we'll get to run together. Smile

2017 Goals
      1) Run more than 231 miles
      2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

Awesome! Congratulations to your other half. Way to set a target and go beat it!! I hope you enjoy your first race together.

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

"Sand to Mud Run" yesterday 8.3km starting on the beach with a steep 120m climb from a beach over some hills then gentle downhill most of the way to the finish. Good run, daughters ran well and one of them even pipped me by inches in a finishing sprint. Got 40:17 which was 49th out of 660. Id post a picture but my HTML buttons etc have disappeared so...

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:
          Run the 75km Hillary Trail in a day (done 10/3/2012)

fast momma!

so, after 8 months of training, here is my 1st half marathon race report!!!

My husband and I completed the Coeur d'alene half marathon Sunday. Overall, I would say it is a great race. A great course that is constantly slightly uphill or downhill. Not too many little hills,  but not flat at all. The beginning of the race starts out in a little town square and then goes along a road and connects with a paved trail. There were about 2700 people who did the half, and it was pretty bottlenecked for the first mile or two. I didn't mind too much, but if i were going for any decent time, I probably would have been irritated. The rest of the course wound through a multitude of scenery from forested paved trail, lakeside, down town and neighborhood. Couldn't have asked for a better race course, very well thought out. I did have to take one small bathroom break at the half. There were two people in front of me, so that added about 5 minutes to my time. The weather was perfect, started out at about 50 and was about 62 by my finish time which was. . .2:25:51. I was hoping for just a little faster, maybe by 5 minutes, but I guess that is what I get for taking a potty break!

A great run, I definitely recommend it to anyone. The t-shirt is a long sleeve technical shirt with a tiny bit too much teal in it for my husband's liking, but i like it. The goody bag had nothing in it but advertisements for other races, so that was a two minute let down.

On to the next race, I am hooked!

2011 goals: sub 60min 10K

√ run 1st HM (May 29)

Well done, and I am glad it was such a positive experience.

Christchurch Half. The new course (old one trashed by the earthquake) is awesome. Fast flat boring. But great running. I found the 1.30 pacer and started with him. I went off slightly fast, passing the pacer at maybe 2km and having to be a bit cautious not to blow it. Just after 5km we rounded the first bend and hit the wind. I pushed hard for a few mins to catch the group in front and hid in that for a while. Then there were a few km of sharing the wind, moving up groups, trying to go with others as they went past etc. I was struggling a bit now but holding at just a second or 2 over 1.30 pace. At about 11km the pacer and group caught me up again and I stuck with them for a while. The next 5km hurt. I just desperately tried to stay with the pacer. At about 13km I was 100m back and getting major doubts but I remember thinking this was the best chance I'd ever have and I'd be gutted with myself if I blew it now. I picked myself back up and spent the next couple of km catching up. Finally at 16km we turned and the wind was behind us. I suddenly had a boost of confidence and started to push on again. I was on pace, close to the finish and now running under the needed 4.15s. I finally believed I could do it. There were a number of other women around to race which really helped. One came up on my shoulder and I pushed on, she dropped back and I shouted at her to run with me and we'd catch the one in front (we never did but it kept us going). Then I could see the finish clock and knew it was close but doable. Sprint finish!! 1.29.47 chip time and 1.29.53 gun time. I could never have done that without Nick our awesome pacer.
                  Sorry abut the weird lack of spaces - it's the iPad!

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Top effort Mandy. You are a true champion

It is good to look at your training log and take tips it reveals knowing it delivers.  I am trying to get to the stage where the body will let me run every day.  Slowly building and taking the pace easy.  I am not there yet, id break down but working to get it there.

Ran 20km today. The calves a little sore but generally happy to finish in a modest time and know I could have run 5km+ more with ease at that same pace.

This week I am working to get into shape for a nasty hilly long run in the weekend we have planned.  I am going to have to have some fresh legs for that!

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:

Tour Des Fleurs 20k – Dallas TX – 17th September 2011

This is the second time I have run this race. Back in 09 it was a goal race for me. I tanked badly. As it’s the only 20k I run, that bad time has sat on my PR list for 2 years.

Today, not a goal race but part of my December Marathon training. Stretch goal was 1:50:00, a number that I appear to have pulled out of the air, really don’t know where I got it from. Fallback/Real goal was 1:54:00 (2hr HM pace) and “if all else fails” goal was 2:05:54 (which was my time in 09).

As this was part of FM training for me there were a few other “goals” or changes to what I normally do for the race:

• Different Hydration strategy – drink more the day before the race and carry less during the race – use the aid stations. I usually carry all the water I need and ignore the aid stations.
                      • Shot blocks with caffeine – normally I am caffeine free.
                      • Race on “tired legs” – this is something that is meant to be part of the FM training I am doing. This week has been my highest mileage week since March so, yep tired legs. The goal here was to keep running – DO NOT WALK.

Kudos to the race organizers they are batting 1.000 as far as I am concerned on this being a well organized day.

Up at 5:10, on the road by 5:25, down at Dallas WhiteRock Y at 6:30. Hop on the bus, over to the arboretum (which is where the race was) and bimble on down to the start area at about 6:45.

Couple of rest room visits and we are all corralled up by 7:20 for a 7:30 start.

I line up in the back half of the 8-9  min corral as the stretch goal pace is 8:50/mile. It’s 75F and 85% humidity – sticky but we’ve had a lot worse this summer – the “gun” goes and we start bang on time.

The first couple of miles are 8:50 on the money which is good but not great. The course is a tale of two 10ks. The first 10k is around the lake and then the turn into the residential neighborhood. It is F-L-A-T, flat. The elevation profile of the second 10k looks like some nightmare freaking roller-coaster (at least from a TX perspective). Check it out here:

If I am hitting 8:50 here and feeling OK, but not great… keeping it up for the whole race is not going to happen…. And, dammit on the new hydration strategy… I need to pee!

Mile 3 – I redraw the race plan in my head – 1:50:00 is gone, need to be realistic so, first things first, stop to pee.. costs me exactly a minute but feel much better afterward. Now the focus is on the 1:54 goal and keeping running; that means watching my HR and not letting it get up over 80%HRR until I hit the hills.

The next few miles roll by. I feel OK. Mile 3 is actually a 8:49 (less the pit stop) and Mile 4 is an 8:46. Shot blocks go down OK but don’t really like the taste, will be going back to the old ones. Miles 5 & 6 - OK and I keep my heart rate to 79% HRR through the 10K mark.

Now this is why I love RA – I clicked back to my 2009 blow up at this race and at the 6 mile mark back then I was about 1 min faster than today but here come the hills; There are 4 of them, with the third being the worst.

Mile 6.5 - focus on the top and push through, I slow by about 10 sec/mile and I can feel the whole tired legs thing but keep going. I recognize the exact point that I bailed and started walking on the 2009 race… it makes me want to keep going, not stop and walk.

Mile 7.75 – Sharp uphill, followed by steep downhill. I’m getting slower and my right calf is not happy about the whole thing.

Mile 8.5 to Mile 9.5 – I have a stitch and both calves are screaming bloody murder at this point. I really wanted to walk up this one but knew that would blow out all of the goals for the day. When you get to the top of this one the next 2 miles are downhill. Mile 11 is a few seconds faster as a result.

Mile 11.5 – Last hill, I am wiped, While this will not be my best time this is the hardest I have finished any other race. Last night I sat with my 6 year old who has just started playing football. He’s worried about playing quarterback because of the pressure (he’s 6!!) I told him have fun and keep trying, don’t give up…. I am not going home to tell him I walked up the last hill!! Drag myself up the hill and round the corner for the 0.4 mile “sprint to the finish”.

I cross the line with a 1:54:45 – missed out on my time goal by the duration of a potty break… but such is life Wink

In terms of a 20k PR it’s 11 mins better than where I used to be and in terms of fitness – it was 5 degrees warmer than in 2009 and I ran the whole thing.. without walking up a single hill… maybe I am improving!

I grab some water, Gatorade, banana & pizza (yum!) and head back to the busses. Forgot to grab a beer but found out later they had ran out anyway!

Overall, a B- for the day.

2017 Goals

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Well its over

It was a hot day in Auckland and it showed towards the end.  Time was 3:52:54 .  Was nearly in the top 25% of runners 636/2307. Great first half going to plan going through half way in 1:48ish. 

Then a 10km slog into the wind and started to hurt around 26km!  By the 30km turnaround point it was very warm and i was taking fluids at every opporunity.  It was 20oC air temp no doubt made worse on the ashphalt.  I really don't do warm running well at all which is why I dont run much over summer.  The final 10km saw some good km's with good pace combined with some pretty slow ones (actually some real slow ones) One of my daughters ran the last 4km with me which was cool. She had no trouble keeping up!!

Although i was 10 minutes or more off my hoped for time i am still happy.  i think i ran the first 10km perfectly and managed the 2nd half as best as a first timer could.  I didn't walk a step and all and all pretty happy.

At the back of my head though i wished Id run the half with my training for the full! I woulda blitzed it today!!

Body not too bad, got a good sized blood blister on one small toe but that should go down overnight and hopefully i can do my 5km tomorrow - wont be a 21min one though!

Personal Race Records:

2012 Goals:

Awesome Vino - Congratz on getting round and adjusting to the warmer temperatures!

So now you've done one.... Full Marathons from here on out or back to HMs?

Great Job

2017 Goals

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

It was actually 20oC by 930am here today which is very unusual even in summer. Nor East airflow.  Didn't enjoy that!! Was nice at the start though no need to wrap up while waiting was very pleasant!

Next Year for Auckland I will do the half.  I woulda smoked a half today, felt so good!

I am not closing the door on another marathon but not in a hurry to find the next one just yet

November I plan to do trail running mostly, hiking and use some of my base fitness to see what 5km times I can churn out!!  I'm just gonna have a month of enjoying running and outdoors and not paying any attention to milage.

I have set myself the goal of 2000km for the year though so will make sure I make that...not much to go though!!

Personal Race Records:

2012 Goals:

Good race, well done!

I am with you on the heat, it really makes a big difference on the longer distances- no big deal on a 5k, but a marathon....

Terrific result!

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Ran 5km the day after the marathon in 23:01 after a slow start (for obvious reasons) :-)

I will do another full sometime.  I know I can whack 10 minutes off my time but I think my next challenge is the Whenuapai Half Marathon on April 1st.  It is apparently a fast course so may be looking for a PB :-)

I am also looking at a 27km off road race called "The tussock traverse" which runs over some of NZ's finest scenery in the shadow of "Mt Doom".  This is in January however and the weather is a big factor.  If its a good day it will be stinking hot.  If its a bad day it can be blizzard conditions even in summer.  On top of that it will make Xmas and New Year a training zone so....hmmm dunno Big grin

Here is a clip of it I found on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4mf8_58ZT4

Personal Race Records:

2012 Goals: