Half Marathon Trainers

Half marathon trainers-September! (Read 683 times)

OK, here we go!

August turned out to be a light month for me, almost a maintenance rather than a training month.

However, I managed 18 runs for a total of just over 150 miles, which is better than the same month last year. I also think I did more fast running.

Vixi, good to hear from you. We have just had our weather turn much cooler, and it makes a huge difference (to me anyway!) My target race is October 18th, so getting quite close.

Do you guys do any cross training? If so what and how much? I did about 12 pushups, and rode my bike maybe 4 times in August- naturally I did not log this!

Simon.,

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

You know, every time I try to do cross training, I get worn-out or slightly injured.  I've tried building up carefully, too.  I think for where I'm at, I will stick to running and just enjoy it!

Tomorrow is the first day of school, so I'm planning on getting the kids out the door and then going for an 11-mile run.  There's no way I will be able to run the entire route, but I'll do as much as I can.  The weather is GORGEOUS here!  This next week is historically one of our sunniest, non-rainiest of the year. 

jules2

76 miles in 16 runs plus only 94 miles on the bike but as mentioned before I had a few problems.

Funnily enough this month I was thinking of increasing the cycling to give my running legs a rest as if I am not careful I going to increase my running mileage to make up for the time lost and injure myself again.

Good luck everybody.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

I do some cross training, but not nearly enough.

I try to stretch at home 3-4 times a week.  After stretching, I usually do 20-25 sit-ups, 15-20 push-ups (but I use those rotating things that you see on TV).  Then I do 15 curls with each arm with a (I think) 20 lb dumb bell (I guess I need ot check that), then I do 15 butterflies with the dumbell. 

I will sometimes then go in the basement and do 10-15 squats with about a 40 lb dumbell (I should check that as well) then I have one of those machines (I call them the rope a dope) where the weights are on a pulley system and I do 15-20 pull downs, 15-20 leg lifts, 10-15 butterflies and then repeat the set. 

But honestly, I have not been as religious this season as past seasos with the routine.

I also have a staionary bike (pretty much idle at the moment) and got a regular bike to do some cross training on, but it's still waiting to be fully assembled (over 2 months now) so you can see my dedication to that.

Larry

PS - By the way Vixi, good to hear from you as well

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Ringmaster

I tried to make my Sunday runs cross-training runs, when I did some kind of core work after every mile, but I wasn't very consistent doing it during the week. I'm trying to get better at it. A stronger core would, I suspect, translate to less tiredness and better performance in the later miles.

It's funny that you all are just starting school. We started about a week and a half ago--in fact, my new kindergartner was home today with the typical week-two cold. Today's supposed to be her first soccer practice so we'll see if she's able to go. I'm on hold with Garmin as we speak--my 205 died on my long run on Saturday and I haven't been able to revive him yet. Wish me luck.

I lost some training time in August to my balky knee. Nothing bad, but I backed off my planned mileage to avoid a real injury. Ended up with just over 145 miles over 20 runs, and one of those even a 5k! I'm pleased with that, overall. We'll see what September, typically our hottest and most humid month, has in store for me.

What do you all think about the more minimalist shoes? I run in support shoes and wonder if a different shoe would impact the knee. Ideas?

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
            Mile by Mile

Prince of Fatness

Hi all.  I'm currently in taper mode.  My marathon is on the 13th of this month.  After that I have a half that I am running in early November.

As for cross training, I do yoga twice a week and find it very helpful.

Not at it at all. 

Tomorrow is the first day of school, so I'm planning on getting the kids out the door and then going for an 11-mile run.  There's no way I will be able to run the entire route, but I'll do as much as I can.  The weather is GORGEOUS here!  This next week is historically one of our sunniest, non-rainiest of the year. 

So let us know how that run went today?  How much did you walk vs run? 

I agree, the weather is just spectacular right now.

I checked out the HM you're running, but unfortunately, I'm running a 5K that day. This is a race I know is comparable to the course I missed breaking my PR on, (and I like the event) so I don't want to miss it.

I did find a HM in Niantic Ct for Sunday the 27th that I am now targetting.  I figure, instead of coming all of the way home from NH on Sat, we'll just stop off in Niantic (which is down by the CT shore) and spend the night and be ready in the morning vs having to make a 1:30-1:45 min drive Sunday morning.  I've contacted a couple of guys at work who both think they'll do it with me.  I'm sorry that I won't finally get to meet you, but some day, we'll cross paths. 

Larry

LPH

New record for me.  Completed approx 9.7 miles tonight, which is the furthest I've ever run during the week before.  I did 9 miles a few months ago, but up to that time, all of my long runs have always been performed on the weekends.

The reason i decided to run that far tonight, is that tomorrow is my Bday and the wife and I are going down to the beach in RI and not sure if I'll be able to get a good long run in.  We'll be back on sunday afternoon, but then busting our ass to get ready for a family gathering at our lake association on Monday. 

My miles are approx because I ran  anewer section of paths which I haven't verified the distances yet.  They have marked the trails every half mile, but I find them very insconsistent and I finsd my time quite fast despite my effort to keep it slower.

But it was a great run, no major fatique and I didn't have to stop and walk at all. I really beleive that since the humidity broke, I've turned the corner and able to step up the both the distance and the pace.  I also beleive that my modified schedule might be helping out. I'm trying to run no more than two days in a row right now.  We'll see how long that goes. 

Well, I'll check in form work tomorrow, then no promises as to when I'll be checking back in.  If anyone is racing this weekend, good luck!

Larry

LPH

Had a slow august but put in a record 170+ miles despite two below par weeks the last two weeks of august.  Should hit 200 - 220 miles in September leading up to Oct 18 marathon.

1st Half in 9 days, Erie and should target somewhere 1:40 - 1:45.  Will not have any taper besides 1 - 2 easy days before so will see how the legs feel and the weather cooperates before dialing in exact target pace.  current PR is 1:55 and Fall 08 time was 2:05...so should be big reductions in time regardless.

2nd Half -- Sept 26  (Akron), will be 3 weeks out from Marathon on a tougher course.  will most likely run as a MP training run and run around 8:30 pace.

Marathon -- Oct 18 (Columbus)  Should defintly get my 2009 sub 4:00 goal (May 2009 4:10 in 1st marathon) and would like to get < 3:45.

In regrads to Cross Training, I have totally eliminated XT from training.  In spring would XT 2 days a week and run 4 days.  Have replaced those 2 days with running and now generally hitting 6 days a week and legs feel better.

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Well, I didn't run until 8:30 am, so it got a little warmer for my l11-mile run than I expected.  I ran 4 or 5 miles straight, and then walked periodically.  My overall time was 2:15, for a pace of 12:20.  I think the mental aspect got to me, since it was the longest I'd run in quite awhile.  I think next week will go better!  At least I DID it!

Larry, good job on your run!

Wow, Buckeye, that's a lot of miles!  Great job.

Hey all, back from a few beautiful days at the beach.

Squeezed in a run real late. Did 11 miles and easily could have done another, but it was getting dark.  Was a beautifl cool evening for running tonight, not like my past two days running at the beach. 

Overall, had a good week.  36 something miles on 5 days and I'm feeling pretty good. left calf still acts up form time to time, but have been sticking to my pre and post run stretches and massages and wrapping during runs and wearing compression sleeve afterwards and it's holding up okay 

Teresa, how was your trip to PA?  What did your son think of the coach? 

Everyone have a great but safe Labor Day.

Larry

LPH

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Larry, good job with the running!  I'm still in PA.  DS's visit ends this afternoon, because he wanted to attend a biology class and talk to a professor.  It will be interesting to see what he thinks of the coach.  He is a polar opposite to his HS coach!  The HS coach is a man of VERY few words, but this coach talks and talks and talks! 

I had two wonderful runs on a quiet residential street next to the Susquehanna River.  7.2 miles yesterday, and 5 miles this morning.  I was proud of myself for dragging myself out of bed at 6:30 AM!  It was tempting to just sleep in.

Teresa, sounds like you enjoyed your quiet time in PA.  So did your son like the talkative coach or not?

LPH

Over all, the past couple of weeks have been pretty good. Ever since I took 4 days off and rested, I've been running better and more motivated. Of course it didn't hurt that the weather broke and we got rid of all of that high humidity.

So the result is two back to back weeks of 34 mile weeks.  Completed 11 miles last Sunday and had enough to go more except for darkness.  Will plan on 13.1 this Sunday which is two weeks out from my HM,

I'd like to hit 40 MPW, but decided not to push it and not run a 6th day.  The key right now is to stay healthy, keep the milaege up and get some speed work in (of course, nt sure how to fit it in at the moment) 

How is everyone else doing?

Larry 

LPH

Hello everyone.  I hope you don't mind my joining this thread.   I am a relatively new runner training for my first 1/2 Oct. 3rd, Hands on House 1/2 in Lancaster PA.  It's been interesting to read about all your progress and I have been learning a lot from all your experience. I have a goal time in mind of 1:50 based solely on the fact that I did a 12.6m training run in 1:50:09 about a month ago, but I'm really just excited to be running the 1/2 and will be happy to finish my first.

I'm looking for some advice on a couple pretty basic things as this is my first race other then the 3.5 mile corporate challenge which I've run a few times about 3-6 years back.

1) What should my diet look like in the days leading up to the race and on race day morning?  I've just started using GU, so I plan to take one shortly before the race and then 1 during the race.

2) Based on a current mileage of ~25 miles/week, what should my taper week look like?